Author Topic: Uh oh, our minesweeping needs work  (Read 930 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Uh oh, our minesweeping needs work
« on: October 16, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2012/10/us-navy-allies-find-less-than-half-the-sea-mines-planted-in-key-exercise.html

During a recent big joint exercise on mine-finding and clearing, about half the practice mines were found.  Hmmm.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Uh oh, our minesweeping needs work
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 03:42:35 PM »
Finding mines isn't really all that hard  =D

:O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 04:24:30 PM »
Finding mines isn't really all that hard  =D

:O

Sure, once.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »
Navy officials, though, said the drill was constructive and asserted that focusing on the number of mines detected alone would paint an incomplete picture.

:facepalm:

Absolutely agree for all values of "not my ship".  For values of "my ship" you had better find every one of them.  Bet I could get sailors from the US Navy and 30 other nations to agree to that without any discussion/debate.

A question that's creating major disturbance in my head:  the 16+ practice mines, out of the 29 dropped in this iteration of hide-and-seek -- do they constitute a hazzard to navigation?  And a follow-up question: if a vessel is damaged by one of these hazzards to navigation, which government will Lloyds look to for reimbursement?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.