Author Topic: U.S. Panel Endorses Routine Cervical Cancer Vaccine for Girls  (Read 3479 times)

natedog

• friend
THURSDAY, June 29 (HealthDay News) -- A U.S. advisory panel recommended Thursday that 11- and 12-year-old girls be routinely vaccinated against the virus that causes cervical cancer.

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices also recommended that the vaccine, called Gardasil, be administered to girls as young as 9, at the provider's discretion, and for women up to age 26 who have not previously been vaccinated against the sexually transmitted human papillomavirus (HPV).

"The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices made a historic vote today to recommend routine use of HPV vaccine for girls aged 11 to 12," Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of the National Center for Immunizations and Respiratory Diseases at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said at a Thursday news conference. "It's a very important day -- a breakthrough for women's health."

Some religious conservatives and other critics have expressed concern that giving the vaccine to children could encourage underage sex. But, according to Schuchat, no controversy arose at the panel's recent public meetings.

The panel's recommendation was hailed by health experts.

"It's a wonderful thing. It's good news all around," said Dr. Connie L. Trimble, associate professor of gynecology and obstetrics and pathology at Johns Hopkins' Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, in Baltimore. Trimble is working on a therapeutic vaccine for people already infected with the virus.

The advisory committee also recommended that the vaccine be included in the Vaccines for Children Program, which provides free vaccines for children up to age 18 who are eligible for Medicaid, are uninsured or are Native American or Alaskan Native.

The recommendations will be passed along to the head of the CDC and to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for review, and are expected to be accepted.

Gardasil, manufactured by Merck & Co., is the first vaccine to protect against HPV, known to cause most cervical cancers.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Gardasil earlier this month for girls and women aged 9 to 26. An FDA advisory panel had signed off on the vaccine in May.

Cervical cancer is the second most common malignant disease in women globally, causing an estimated 290,000 deaths worldwide each year. In the United States, some 10,400 new cases will be diagnosed this year, and 3,700 women will die from the disease.

The main cause of cervical cancer is continuous infection with HPV, especially HPV 16 and 18, which are spread by sexual contact. The virus also causes precancerous and benign cervical lesions and genital warts, and may be implicated in some anal and oral cancers. An estimated 20 million men and women in the United States are infected with HPV but, for most, the virus shows no symptoms and goes away on its own.

In a two-year study involving more than 12,000 women, Gardasil was found to be 100 percent effective against four types of human papillomavirus: 16 and 18, which are responsible for about 70 percent of cervical cancer cases, and 6 and 11, which cause 90 percent of genital wart cases.

Merck has said the vaccine has the potential to reduce the annual number of new cervical cancer cases around the world from 500,000 to about 150,, and cut deaths by more than two-thirds, to about 90,000.

At the annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology earlier this month in Atlanta, scientists reported that the Gardasil vaccine was also 100 percent effective against vulvar and vaginal precancerous lesions caused by HPV types 16 and 18.

Like many other vaccinations, Gardasil will require three shots over six months. Even with the vaccine, women would still need to be screened for cervical cancer caused by other types of HPV, experts noted. This is most often accomplished by having a Pap test, which is still a very accurate indicator of a woman's cervical condition.

It's unclear whether insurance providers will pay for the cost of the vaccine -- estimated to be $120 -- for children not covered under the Vaccines for Children Program.

"We are hopeful that managed care will pick this up," Schuchat said. "Working on ensuring access is very important."

Discuss. Would you vaccinate your preteen daughter?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
U.S. Panel Endorses Routine Cervical Cancer Vaccine for Girls
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 06:07:26 PM »
If I had a teenage daughter I would vaccinate her. Girls are just as much promiscuous as boys are.

I wonder if the vaccine will work with males? Men can get HPV too.

Maybe they will have a vaccine for herpes next.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 06:42:17 PM »
Would you vaccinate your preteen daughter?
Absolutely.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 07:08:29 PM »
Hell yes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 09:14:15 PM »
Discuss. Would you vaccinate your preteen daughter?
Yes I would.  Not only to protect her life should she make the mistake to be promiscuous, but also if she's unfortunate enough to decide to have sex with a guy that turns out to not be 100% faithful.  Then there's the possibility of rape (I hope she'd put a .38Special in the bastard's ear before he got that far, but you never know).  

My daughter is 2 right now, so this shouldn't be an issue for quite a few years, but when she's 11 that'll just be part of her yearly checkup with the family doctor.
Formerly sumpnz

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 02:14:15 AM »
Don't have any kids yet, but not only would I vaccinate them, I'll probably go looking for the vaccine myself, and I'm a guy.

The reason is simple.   HPV is just as infectious for men as women, it's just that we don't have to worry about the cervical cancer part.  We can still get warts, and the virus never goes away.

That, and I'd consider it my part to protect whichever girl I'm with.  Heck, I'd vaccinate the boys as well, because then we'd be on our way to eliminating HPV like smallpox/polio.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 02:49:12 AM »
Girls are just as much promiscuous as boys are.
As the(step) father of a 15 YO girl let me be the first to say, "AAAAGGGGHHHH!!! DON'T SAY THAT!!" Tongue

Looks like it's time for 280 to go shootin' while the "girl's" get together for a little mom and daughter talk. Cheesy

Hmmm, maybe I'll just forward this link over to mom.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 04:27:28 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
As the(step) father of a 15 YO girl let me be the first to say, "AAAAGGGGHHHH!!! DON'T SAY THAT!!" Tongue

Looks like it's time for 280 to go shootin' while the "girl's" get together for a little mom and daughter talk. Cheesy

Hmmm, maybe I'll just forward this link over to mom.
Chasity belt.. throw the key in the Potomac River
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 04:58:53 AM »
I keep threatening to send my 13 yr old daughter to seminary.  In Irkutsk.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 12:49:49 PM »
Quote from: charby
They're way more promiscuous than boys.  Guys talk about it a lot and spend all of their time and money trying to get it.  Girls just have to give it away.  Thinking back to high school, I didn't know too many girls who hadn't had multiple sex partners before they graduated.  In fact, if you wanted to date a decent looking senior girl, I could only think of one or two that I suspected of not being sexually active.  That's just the way it was.  I imagine it's even worse now.  There were plenty of guys who didn't manage to get laid until they were in college or almost married.

280plus, start saving money for the grandbaby.  (just kidding)  Drive her through some seriously low income housing and tell her that's where she and her baby daddy be living if they have a kid.

Rabbi might have the right idea.

I would most definitely vaccinate my preteen daughter (if I had/have one).  Unless she is just butt-ugly or lesbian, there's about a 95% chance she's going to do it with one or more guys before she gets out of high school.  The best you can hope for is that she does it with a decent one, who is clean and uses protection.  I'm really hoping for a vaccine for everything (how about one that suppresses sexual desire) before I have to deal with the situation.
For entertainment purposes only.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 01:23:07 PM »
"there's about a 95% chance she's going to do it with one or more guys before she gets out of high school."

I think you just broke poor mtnbkr's brain! Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 02:31:22 PM »
ummm...

Up here in Monkey County, MD

The 9 year old girls are coming of age in 4th grade

No wonder the 9 year old boys are getting wacky,
they are under pheromone assault

I heard of a study hypothesized that female humans start having their periods when they hit 110 pounds...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 04:12:42 PM »
In a way I think we may be lucky ours is a bit immature. At 15 boys are still kind of yucky and all she thinks about are horses. It was funny, when she was on Myspace all her little friends had these absolutely provacative pictures of themselves plastered all over their pages. Hers? Cats and horses. LOL...

Meanwhile 280 lost his virginity at 15 to another 15 YO that was mostly doing 19 yos and had been for a while. For some reason she took a shining to me. Cheesy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 04:14:13 PM »
I think it was my bad boy rebel image. Tongue

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 06:21:32 PM »
My daughter is a little less than 16 years old.  As soon as the vaccine gets into the pipeline, I will have her vaccinated.  I work as an administrator in a large medical clinic, and the medical community is just abuzz over this: a simple three-injection process that can prevent a cancer that kills thousands of women every year in the USA.  

If there was a similar vaccination for something like colon or prostate cancer, I would sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 07:55:56 PM »
No question.  I'd shoot my kids up with every vaccine I could find that had been proven safe.  I had two teachers in elementary school who suffered from polio they contracted 40 years before, so I'm a big believer in vaccination.

And as for my daughters being sexually active (G-d forbid...  the "daughters" part, that is), I plan to utilize the "barrier method."  That's the one where I provide the young man with a contraceptive barrier, like 4" of plexiglass or 200mm of DU armor, to prevent any surprises.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 08:30:30 PM »
That reminds me, my wife told me a joke reinforcing why she was glad she had two sons instead of daughters:

"When you have a teenage boy, you only have to worry about the activities of just one penis.

When you have a teenage girl, you have to worry about ALL of them."  :/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 11:45:52 PM »
Dammit, where's that chastity belt...

Cheesy

Iain

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2006, 12:33:59 AM »
In a way I think we may be lucky ours is a bit immature. At 15 boys are still kind of yucky and all she thinks about are horses.
That's actually quite common in 15 year old girls that are allowed to just be 15 year old girls. Not got long left though...
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2006, 12:42:37 AM »
Meanwhile 280 lost his virginity at 15 to another 15 YO that was mostly doing 19 yos and had been for a while. For some reason she took a shining to me. Cheesy
1.  WAY too much info.

2.  She took a "shining" to you?  As in she broke down your door with an ax, while chanting, "Red rum"?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2006, 12:59:54 AM »
At 15 boys are still kind of yucky..
I'm 37 and I still think that. Smiley

I can't think of anyone who wouldnt get this vacination..for their daughters or sons.

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2006, 01:34:10 AM »
In the same way there are good kinds of toothaches. Smiley

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2006, 01:35:51 AM »
She took a "shining" to you?  As in she broke down your door with an ax, while chanting, "Red rum"?
ROTFLMAO!!

Chris

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2006, 03:16:39 AM »
1.  WAY too much info.
What's that? You want more info? Oh well to be honest, she had just turned 16 so we did it on the front seat of the old Volare her Dad had just given her on some dark deserted back road. In other words she took ME parking. I recall David Essex's "Rock On" was on the radio. It's still my favorite song. Brings back fond memories if you know what I mean. The windows got all fogged up too. Now THAT'S way too much info. No wait, theres more! LOL...

2.  She took a "shining" to you?  As in she broke down your door with an ax, while chanting, "Red rum"?
You were THERE?? Yea, she REALLY wanted me. Tongue

Cheesy

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2006, 02:41:25 PM »
You were THERE?? Yea, she REALLY wanted me. Tongue

Cheesy
Sounds like you dated one of my ex's.   Wink
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.