Author Topic: New shotgun  (Read 735 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
New shotgun
« on: October 22, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »
Bought a NIB Winchester SXP 12ga from my neighbor who last year was going to start hunting but then didn't.  We both walked away happy from that deal.  It is the 3" chambered 26" invector choke model.  Took it out yesterday afternoon after cleaning out the shipping preservative.  First time I fired it I cleaned up on the 6 clays thrown in front of me.  I fired a mix of target loads and several of my hunting loads to test, no issues.  It has some new fangled recoil pad that works very well, recoil was not bad at all even though the gun hardly weighs anything.

The SXP is basically a Turkish built Model 1300 though there is supposedly no parts interchangeability.  The controls and handling are exactly like my old 20ga Model 120 (cheaper version of the 1300) that I have been hunting with for 25 years, no learning curve for me at all!  I had myself half convinced I wanted to go find a used 12ga 1300 so this is perfect!

This is now my primary hunting shotgun, it will do everything I do:  upland game and waterfowl over decoys.

Now to keep my eye out for an 18" barrel for it for HD purposes.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:03:25 PM by 41magsnub »

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: New shotgun
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »
sounds nice.  holy cow, 6 clays in one throw?  you should be on the tour!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 08:44:12 PM »
The SXP is basically a Turkish built Model 1300

So, ya gonna hunt turkeys with it ?   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »
sounds nice.  holy cow, 6 clays in one throw?  you should be on the tour!

no...   4 singles and a double :)