Author Topic: U.S. probes deaths for links to Monster energy drink  (Read 1662 times)

MechAg94

• friend
U.S. probes deaths for links to Monster energy drink
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:23:20 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/22/us-monster-lawsuit-idUSBRE89L16G20121022

I caught this headline on Drudge. 
The lawsuit, filed in California Superior Court in Riverside, said that after drinking two 24-ounce cans of Monster Energy on consecutive days Fournier went into cardiac arrest. She was placed in an induced coma and died six days later on December 23, 2011.
I was curious what sort of fall out there might be.  I don't drink the stuff, but I know many who do.  Then I saw this tidbit:
The lawsuit said Fournier died from "cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity" that complicated an existing heart valve condition related to a disorder called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.

The two drinks together contained 480 milligrams of caffeine, the equivalent of 14 12-ounce cans of Coca-Cola, according to the lawsuit.

I was under the impression that if you had a heart condition, you weren't supposed to drink caffeine.  I used to work with an older guy who liked the Lipton green tea, but later realized it had a hell of a lot of caffiene.  He was having heart issues and ended up giving up caffeine all together.  Even weak tea would start his heart beating fast.

In this case, it sounds like the huge amount of caffiene agravated an existing issue.  I am failing to see Monster's liability here.  It almost sounds like a severe diabetic suiing Hostess. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: U.S. probes deaths for links to Monster energy drink
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:39:29 AM »
So,  for kicks and giggles, I looked up the caffeine in a cup of coffee.  Depending on which data you look at, a cup of coffee has anywhere from about 100 mg to 190 mg (for a 7 oz cup).   So, it's the caffeine equivalent of 3-5 cups of coffee.  

I drink more than that in a morning at work.   But I also don't have an underlying heart condition.

Not seeing Monster's liability either.  In fact, IIRC, there are warnings on the cans saying don't drink too many, and don't give to kids or people with caffeine sensitivity.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:42:47 AM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 11:24:40 AM »
Respectfully, you're being too conservative in your comparison.  Most coffee shops offer a minimum of 12oz cups, so I would argue that the average cup in America is 16oz.  I think you could hit 480mg in three cups, easy.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »
Oh, I know.   I was going strictly with the published figures I could find for caffeine content, which were for a 7 oz cup.   I have no illusion that our average cup is significantly larger than that.   When I am at work, I will usually down 32 oz of coffee in the first 3 hours.  usually at home it's only a 16 oz mug.   But sometimes 32 oz.   

And again, IF YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A HEART CONDITION, WHY THE FRACK ARE YOU DRINKING AN ENERGY DRINK WITH LOTS OF CAFFEINE???  And I'm sorry, but at 14, you are old enough to know better.   And since you are still living at home, under Mom & Dad's supervision, I see this as a case of parental failure.  I'm sorry that their daughter died, but I fail to see any liability on the part of Monster.   
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »
As one of the resident cardiac patients allow me to respond before AD chimes in with the medical mumbo jumbo.

Some conditions mandate giving up caffiene, some just ask you to limit your intake and some are not effected by "normal" amounts.

This sounds more like the family looking to blame someone/something else more than the energy drink maker being at fault.  If her doctors did not counsel/educate her they are more at fault than the energy drink maker.  If she was counseled and disregarded that she is (was??) at fault.

We need to allow people to be responsible for ruining their lives instead of looking for alibis.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 04:59:08 PM »
We need to allow people to be responsible for ruining their lives instead of looking for alibis.

It's sad that she died, but this.

Honestly the energy drink fad is almost as *expletive deleted*ing stupid as binging on alchohol. I don't understand at all of "why" it's cool, but the stupid little fools fall in line with their peers and slam them down. Their own damn fault.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 09:09:32 AM »
Another example of parents failing to  fulfill their responsibilities to actually parent their child, and looking for either someone else to do it for them (we get a lot of cases in court where parents look to the system to punish the child instead of them) or someone to blame when something goes wrong.  Drives me absolutely insane when I see parents trying to be a friend to their child/teen instead of a parent.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 09:17:43 AM »
Drives me absolutely insane when I see parents trying to be a friend to their child/teen instead of a parent.

This.

Stuff like:

Yeah, I'll host their underage drinking party. WTF, over?

I didn't drink when I was underage simply because my mom was hard as *expletive deleted*ing nails and would beat the loving *expletive deleted*it out of me if I had. None of this "call me if you need a ride" bullshit either...

Or if they get in trouble with the law, bail them out and don't punish them. Mom made it explicitely clear there would be no bailing out from jail.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 08:58:49 PM »
I agree with the opinions expressed here, but I've always wondered when this would come up.
A person would expect coffee or colas to contain caffeine, and that's why there is a huge market in decaffeinated coffee and cola products. A person also knows how one, or five, cups of coffee might affect them.
I'm not sure that the average teen, or older adult for that matter, is closely reading the label of flashy soda-like cans at the local 711. Especially if they taste like soda or fruit juice. Additionally, there is not a lot of regulation that ensures this stuff ( not Monster brand specifically) meets, or does not grossly exceed, label claim in the first place. Or that the ingredients themselves meet certain quality standards.  Some of the products at convenience stores, and at supplement stores, scare the hell out of me.  I've worked in a very highly regulated segment of the nutritional business for many years. We are an exception though...although that is changing.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:28:41 PM »
A person would expect coffee or colas to contain caffeine,

And they would expect an energy drink to contain even more caffeine, or at least have a similar (but greater) effect. That's how they're marketed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lee

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 09:48:32 PM »
"or at least have a similar (but greater) effect"

I suppose.  Not sure what would be their "control" for that knowledge...I'm assuming the average pre-teen or teen hasn't worked many 3rd shifts, nor downs a pot of coffee in the morning, or buys 3-4 cups of coffee from Starbucks while they're in class.

I think I need more caffeine...I can't read or type tonight.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:53:39 PM by Lee »