Author Topic: Why do people think a truck is something that can be borrowed?  (Read 29987 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Why do people think a truck is something that can be borrowed?
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2012, 10:04:18 AM »
2- They really do use it; it is very practical, everyday. For real.

On this one I call BS. For the reasons already mentioned. The overwhelming majority of pickup owners do not own them for practical reasons. The majority who say such are self deluded. I wonder if these people even know why they bought it. Hence, the status symbol theory makes the most sense and fits the data.
If it was really practical, the owner would have the financial numbers off the top of his head, because they would be talking about business expensing the truck. And a successful business owner knows his costs to the penny.

do share your background please so we can properly assess your theory
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2012, 10:11:53 AM »
If it was really practical, the owner would have the financial numbers off the top of his head, because they would be talking about business expensing the truck. And a successful business owner knows his costs to the penny.

You mean like this? Vroom. Vroom.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2012, 10:22:31 AM »
The Miata has always been on my list of wants....that or a Vespa.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »
This is why I insist on a pickup with a manual trans.  The vast majority of folks that would attempt to mooch it can't drive stick.

It's not an ironclad rule,  but I can usually determine a person's general usefulness by that ability.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2012, 10:50:51 AM »
Gonna pick up an older pickup after the current vehicles are paid off.  Preferred would be:
ext cab/4-door
4wd (negotiable)
manual tranny (negotiable)
1/2ton or 3/4 ton preferable, 1 ton in a pinch, no dually.

Really only interested in the following makes/years:
Ford 1967-1996, earlier being better
Chevy/GMC C/K, again, earlier being better
Dodge up to 1993, earlier = better

I would prefer something before 1987, since that is the emissions testing cutoff.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2012, 10:51:16 AM »
Don't be so solipsistic and turn this personal. This isn't about you. This is about how MUCH do trucks suck, and WHY.

Believe me when I say I have spent plenty of time driving trucks, vans, and SUVs. They really do handle quite awful.

0.8g is really terrible. I mean seriously, Honda Civics from the 1980s did better than that. Yes, this pos:

Even modern trucks wallow through the corners. Thats why people are afraid to drive more than 15mph on an on-ramp. They feel the pig rolling over to its side (wallowing) at any faster speed.
Would you all just pull over and get the piece of junk out of the way? If it (or the driver) can't handle accelerating to highway speeds, then it is not highway capable.

The fact is that <5% of the population lives in remote rural areas. APS over counts that behavior. The fact is that <1% do farming work. And yet we are talking about a vehicle that makes ~14% of the market share.
Yeah, cause a Miata is a status symbol. pffff  :rofl:

There are 2 answers this board has given on why someone would buy such a useless vehicle.

1- They like it. Not practical argument, but they like the looks, the feel and the social status.

To this I say, ok, sure. Thats an emotional and preference argument. I don't understand it, but I'm not really going to argue against emotional preference. I prefer sportscars. I know they are not practical either, but I love 'em. Soo much fun and I love sportscar racing.

2-
They really do use it; it is very practical, everyday. For real.

On this one I call BS. For the reasons already mentioned. The overwhelming majority of pickup owners do not own them for practical reasons. The majority who say such are self deluded. I wonder if these people even know why they bought it. Hence, the status symbol theory makes the most sense and fits the data.
and your BS reasons for owning cars or not liking trucks are equally meaningless and invalid.  I feel sorry for you that you can't appreciate a good truck.

Your hatred for trucks blinds you.  That path leads only to the dark side.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2012, 11:22:02 AM »
Bring your sports car out to my place and help me cut and haul a cord of firewood.  :P

I hope it's a convertible  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »
and your BS reasons for owning cars or not liking trucks are equally meaningless and invalid.  I feel sorry for you that you can't appreciate a good truck.

Your hatred for trucks blinds you.  That path leads only to the dark side.  

But what about my hatred for trucks that have been slammed to the ground and have tiny tires that stick way out to the sides? I find those things to be even more offensive visually than an el camino.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »
But what about my hatred for trucks that have been slammed to the ground and have tiny tires that stick way out to the sides?

That's hatred I can believe in.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »
I find those things to be even more offensive visually than an el camino.

I have always had a soft spot in my heart, based on high school experience, for the El Camino and the Ranchero.  I liked the Subaru Brat and Baja, too.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:06:15 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2012, 12:14:51 PM »
I have always had a soft spot in my heart, based on high school experience, for the El Camino and the Ranchero.  I liked the Subaru Brat and Baja, too.

What about 1957 Chevrolet back seats ?   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2012, 12:17:05 PM »
Don't be so solipsistic and turn this personal. This isn't about you. This is about how MUCH do trucks suck, and WHY.

Believe me when I say I have spent plenty of time driving trucks, vans, and SUVs. They really do handle quite awful.

0.8g is really terrible. I mean seriously, Honda Civics from the 1980s did better than that. Yes, this pos:

Even modern trucks wallow through the corners. Thats why people are afraid to drive more than 15mph on an on-ramp. They feel the pig rolling over to its side (wallowing) at any faster speed.
Would you all just pull over and get the piece of junk out of the way? If it (or the driver) can't handle accelerating to highway speeds, then it is not highway capable.

The fact is that <5% of the population lives in remote rural areas. APS over counts that behavior. The fact is that <1% do farming work. And yet we are talking about a vehicle that makes ~14% of the market share.
Yeah, cause a Miata is a status symbol. pffff  :rofl:

There are 2 answers this board has given on why someone would buy such a useless vehicle.

1- They like it. Not practical argument, but they like the looks, the feel and the social status.

To this I say, ok, sure. Thats an emotional and preference argument. I don't understand it, but I'm not really going to argue against emotional preference. I prefer sportscars. I know they are not practical either, but I love 'em. Soo much fun and I love sportscar racing.

2-

You are the one turning it personal, you are the one who came in this thread and started pissing all over the carpet with your BS.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2012, 01:02:19 PM »
When did Drew become a troll? Or has he always been, and I just didn't notice?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2012, 01:10:25 PM »
This thread is getting teh dumbz.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2012, 01:44:55 PM »
But what about my hatred for trucks that have been slammed to the ground and have tiny tires that stick way out to the sides? I find those things to be even more offensive visually than an el camino.
Okay, that is turning one of our beloved trucks into a car.  That IS the Dark Side. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2012, 01:46:49 PM »
I'm ok with lowered trucks, IF AND ONLY IF they are both A.) V8s. B.) forced induction.

Additionally, the lowering should be accomplished ONLY using performance grade suspension pieces. Ford racing, etc. Clipping springs is a no-go

As for el caminos and whatnot... I'd love to see PROPER utes come to america.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

birdman

• friend
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2012, 02:03:19 PM »

2-

I bought a pickup rather than a regular car for practical reasons:
1. I need to haul race bikes and trailer to track (5-10x per year)
2. I go off roading with it (1-2x per year)
3. I use the bed for carrying large items 10-20x per year
4. I need a daily driver that ISN'T my supercar
Given all of the above, it was either:
A. Get a daily driver nice car for 1/2 as much as the truck (saving ~$4k per year), and rent a truck 40-50 days a year (costing $1-2k per year) and give up off roading with my family
Or
B. get my truck, which also gives me a GOOD vehicle, and the convenience of not having to go to rent one.  Given the number of times I need it, that time is worth WAY more than the truck payment.

Also, my truck pulls 0.71g skidpad (vs 0.9g miata, or a difference of ~10% in speed) and does 0-60 faster than all the Miata's except the mazdaspeed and the latest version, which only beat it by 0.7s (6.9 vs 6.2sec)

So how am I not being practical or deluding myself?  My truck was absolutely cost effective for what I actually use it's pickup abilities for, gives me a vehicle to use for off roading with family, and performs on the street within 10-20% of your miata?

As for sportscar racing and track days, or fun driving, well, I have a car for that.

So I think you need to add a third option, for those that need a SECOND vehicle.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2012, 02:08:59 PM »
You're just DELUDED birdman!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2012, 02:24:46 PM »
You're just DELUDED birdman!

Deluded?  Or just taking advantage of putting myself through 8 years of college, and now working three jobs to enjoy what are almost inarguably the best out of the box off roading truck (raptor) and one of the best super-cars (gtr) on the planet?

You are right, I am deluded, it's a side-effect of the massive smile from being able to jump a truck off a sand-dune on a friday, and doing 0-60 in under 4 seconds on the way to the store the following day :)

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »
You mean like this? Vroom. Vroom.

Yes, like that. Or excel is just as good.

Except you are missing the part where the ROI is calculated compared to say, renting or leasing as necessary. See birdman's response as example.

I bought a pickup rather than a regular car for practical reasons:
1. I need to haul race bikes and trailer to track (5-10x per year)
2. I go off roading with it (1-2x per year)
3. I use the bed for carrying large items 10-20x per year
4. I need a daily driver that ISN'T my supercar
Given all of the above, it was either:
A. Get a daily driver nice car for 1/2 as much as the truck (saving ~$4k per year), and rent a truck 40-50 days a year (costing $1-2k per year) and give up off roading with my family
Or
B. get my truck, which also gives me a GOOD vehicle, and the convenience of not having to go to rent one.  Given the number of times I need it, that time is worth WAY more than the truck payment.

Also, my truck pulls 0.71g skidpad (vs 0.9g miata, or a difference of ~10% in speed) and does 0-60 faster than all the Miata's except the mazdaspeed and the latest version, which only beat it by 0.7s (6.9 vs 6.2sec)

So how am I not being practical or deluding myself?  My truck was absolutely cost effective for what I actually use it's pickup abilities for, gives me a vehicle to use for off roading with family, and performs on the street within 10-20% of your miata?

As for sportscar racing and track days, or fun driving, well, I have a car for that.

So I think you need to add a third option, for those that need a SECOND vehicle.

Finally, someone who really did the math. 1 in a million.
Even your own math, with very optimistic use assumptions shows that renting would save $2k/yr! For most people that is a load of cash. I do understand where you are coming from, you're successful enough to say, "screw it I would rather save a few hours per trip by not renting, don't need the extra $2k/yr". But you're also successful enough to know that one needs to do the math and understand what kind of choice is really being made.

Yeah, mines a mazdaspeed, with the boost turned up and nice sticky tires. ~1g on rough road, I am curious what it will do on smooth road. 0-120 its about equal to a 350hp 'Stang.

When did Drew become a troll? Or has he always been, and I just didn't notice?

Finally someone notices. I have a soft spot for this topic. Obviously, I don't like pickups personally, but I don't remotely care what other people drive. But pickup owners are sooo sensitive to defend their choice. They identify with the things personally. And it is a social marker that one is part of the manly conservative social group, and not an "enviroweeny". Too funny.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »
Ooookkkaaaayyyy then.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »

Except you are missing the part where the ROI is calculated compared to say, renting or leasing as necessary. See birdman's response as example.

My rentals are 250 miles away. I did the math for the last twenty years. Mileage plus depreciation = win.  :)

Also, it makes me feel very manly. I can practically see the hair growing on my chest.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »

Finally, someone who really did the math. 1 in a million.
Even your own math, with very optimistic use assumptions shows that renting would save $2k/yr! For most people that is a load of cash. I do understand where you are coming from, you're successful enough to say, "screw it I would rather save a few hours per trip by not renting, don't need the extra $2k/yr". But you're also successful enough to know that one needs to do the math and understand what kind of choice is really being made.

Yeah, mines a mazdaspeed, with the boost turned up and nice sticky tires. ~1g on rough road, I am curious what it will do on smooth road. 0-120 its about equal to a 350hp 'Stang.

Finally someone notices. I have a soft spot for this topic. Obviously, I don't like pickups personally, but I don't remotely care what other people drive. But pickup owners are sooo sensitive to defend their choice. They identify with the things personally. And it is a social marker that one is part of the manly conservative social group, and not an "enviroweeny". Too funny.

You're the one who came out insulting and swinging.  
This is America, where "just because I *expletive deleted* can" is reason enough.
I have a soft spot for people who buy high performance sports cars meant to be driven at high rates of speed when the speed limit is barely half the cars top end.  But you don't see me insulting you.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »
people always wanted to borrow my old priceless Gibson guitar too, I started examining fingers to see if they had guitar players callous - if not I would tell them "sure, you let me borrow two grand and I'll let you borrow the guitar"

Lost the darn thing though. :'(
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »
Drewtam, Ben's math was done for a super high performance truck versus an economy car.  For me to get a car with the same interior options and reasonable interior space, the cost difference would not be so much.  I would also think most high performance sports cars would be more than a truck.