Author Topic: Drive like an idiot, get forced to wear a sign that proclaims you're an idiot...  (Read 3106 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_DRIVER_IDIOT_SIGN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-11-06-06-45-55

Short story - woman was caught on video driving on a sidewalk (more than once!!!) to go around a stopped school bus (with red lights flashing).  

Judge sentences her to stand on a street corner wearing a sign that says "Only an idiot would drive on a sidewalk to avoid a school bus"...  Plus license suspended for 30 days.

You know what?  I'm ok with this.   Granted, there was the potential for people to get hurt, but nobody did.   So I have no problem making her suffer a little humiliation instead of sitting in jail for x days.

ETA: fixed link
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RoadKingLarry

• friends
I don't think that is an appropriate punishment.

Not nearly harsh enough. Not by a long shot.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
When I hear of "creative" sentencing like this, I wonder . . . what does the law actually define as statutory punishment? I mean, is it a negotiation (Judge says "Do this and I won't send you to jail like the law allows") or does the law actually say "Judge can make up whatever punishment he wants?"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
It might be unusual but it's not particularly cruel  :angel:

Things have gone downhill since they did away with the pillory  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Does this count as community service then, carrying a public service message sign as punishment? I'm cool with this. If it directly stated "I'm a moron that drives on sidewalks to get around a school bus" someone might have a leg to stand on regarding public humiliation (which I'd still be cool with, getting embarrassed does not rise to the level of cruel and unusual punishment, in my opinion, that's a definition I typically reserve for torture).

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
I see absolutely no issue with this.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
I *heart* creative punishment that fits the crime.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

brimic

• friends
Seriously, I'm to the point where I'm starting to think that people who don't have some modicum of courtesy or at least the meager ability to hide their sociopathic tendancies while driving should be dragged out of their cars, shot, ad left on the side of the road as an example to others. :mad:

Her driving is nothing more than her extension of the 'entitlement lane* useage'

*When you have a 4 lane surface street or boulevard, there often is a lane on the outsides marked for parking. Driving through the ghetto everyday, I see cars backed up for 2 blocks between stoplights- there will always be one or two *entitlement clowns* who will get in the parking lane and race ahead of everyone else and then cut the front guy off at the green light or cut someone else off to get back on the road when they com upon a parked car. You don't dare slide over 1/2 lane to stop their progress, because they are always driving a beat to hell full sized sedan.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Bigjake

• friend
Lost privileges for a WHOLE month?   The horror.

This is local to me,  so I'm really no surprised.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Lost privileges for a WHOLE month?   The horror.

No kidding. How long/often does she have to do the sign thing?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis

No kidding. How long/often does she have to do the sign thing?

Two days.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bigjake

• friend
They should've jailed her ass,  even briefly,  and then finally put some of the asset forfeiture laws they love so much to good use.

It's just luck that a youtube video caught her,  instead of a flattened kid on the sidewalk.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
more than luck she did it repeatedly. so often at same spot where thecsidewalk was the entrance to a day care that bus driver was able to set up to film her as well as cops set up to catch her. way too light a punishment. and she plead not guilty
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
We've got way too much of an entitlement attitude about driving in this country.You scare some one accidently with a gun and you've got a good chance of getting locked up. You "accidently" kill a family of four with your car and you might get fined and not even lose your DL.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
We've got way too much of an entitlement attitude about driving in this country.You scare some one accidently with a gun and you've got a good chance of getting locked up. You "accidently" kill a family of four with your car and you might get fined and not even lose your DL.

And I think about this every time I read about a pedestrian, bicyclist or motorcyclist killed by a car driver who was not paying attention.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
"You" are open to liability.  You are also open to manslaughter charges if you cause a death unintentionally. Depends on circumstances and lawyers I guess.

How far do you want to go allowing the Govt to prosecute people for accidents? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
How far do you want to go allowing the Govt to prosecute people for accidents? 

Unfortunately there would have to be common sense used in the decision making process.

I know of several cases where there should have been much more severe penalties than what was imposed.
In one case a couple I was acquainted with were kill when the motorcycle they were riding on was struck by a large tractor that came off a trailer in a curve. The driver pulling the trailer was cited for an unsecured load. No charges related to the deaths. He was a "poor farmer" just trying to make a living, didn't have anything worth taking in a law suit.

Another was a dump truck driver that was talking on his phone when he ran down the biker that had slowed to turn into his driveway, the bikers kids got to see daddy shredded by the truck. Failure to yield, no loss of license.

Pretty much unless there is alcohol involved there won't be any serious penalties in Oklahoma

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Unfortunately there would have to be common sense used in the decision making process.

I know of several cases where there should have been much more severe penalties than what was imposed.
In one case a couple I was acquainted with were kill when the motorcycle they were riding on was struck by a large tractor that came off a trailer in a curve. The driver pulling the trailer was cited for an unsecured load. No charges related to the deaths. He was a "poor farmer" just trying to make a living, didn't have anything worth taking in a law suit.

Another was a dump truck driver that was talking on his phone when he ran down the biker that had slowed to turn into his driveway, the bikers kids got to see daddy shredded by the truck. Failure to yield, no loss of license.

Pretty much unless there is alcohol involved there won't be any serious penalties in Oklahoma

You wanna bet that if either of those had been accidental or reckless discharge of a firearm the penalty would have been much higher?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
You wanna bet that if either of those had been accidental or reckless discharge of a firearm the penalty would have been much higher?

No bet ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends

I don't care what sort of odds you're giving, hell no.

We see it every day. Self entitled morons doing stupid things...just to get stuck next to me at the same light. Then speeding off when it turns green, after they've inched at least half way in to the intersection, rinse and repeat until they finally just blow through a yellow/red. And just generally not paying attention or driving like an idiot.

Had a couple of people here killed recently. Traveling south bound on a two lane road in a small pick up and decided to pass a semi. No passing zone for a reason, they didn't see the north bound much larger and taller pickup. The little pickup basically went under the taller one.

All to save a couple minutes stuck behind a semi and got himself and his passenger killed, and put to more in critical condition.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
All to save a couple minutes stuck behind a semi and got himself and his passenger killed, and put to more in critical condition

But,,, it was an accident...

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
But,,, it was an accident...
Whatever happened to negligent homicide? You hardly ever hear of that being charged any more . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Whatever happened to negligent homicide? You hardly ever hear of that being charged any more . . .

come to va you might see it charged. then plead down to lessor charge
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
We see it every day. Self entitled morons doing stupid things...just to get stuck next to me at the same light. Then speeding off when it turns green, after they've inched at least half way in to the intersection, rinse and repeat until they finally just blow through a yellow/red. And just generally not paying attention or driving like an idiot.

And I'm putting serious though into installing front and rear dash cams because of that. There's just too much stupid speeding around on the Denver roadways.  :mad: