Author Topic: Mild .45 ACP Factory Loads?  (Read 4154 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Mild .45 ACP Factory Loads?
« on: November 15, 2012, 12:25:04 AM »
Hi all, I recently picked up a beautiful S&W M1917 .45 ACP Brazilian Contract (made in the USA in 1938, sold to Brazil).  While I have no compunctions about firing normal 185-230 grain FMJ or JHP through it, recoil is rather snappy compared to an auto of the same size and weight.  Does anyone know if there are any factory loads out there loaded a bit milder, say 700-730 fps? 

While I'm pretty handy with an auto, I'm a revolver neophyte, and while I can do just fine with the Smith at 10 yards, my accuracy beyond that pretty much blows.  I would like to focus on marksmanship fundamentals for now, and move on to recoil mitigation later.  A lighter load might do the trick.  Also, I don't reload... I know once I go down that road there will be a giant sucking sound coming from my wallet.

Thanks!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Mild .45 ACP Factory Loads?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:30:18 AM »
Maybe these guys have something you can use. http://georgia-arms.com/index.aspx

get you a .22 and shoot that a lot. Saves $. ;)

and,,,you're still welcome to meet me at MSI range in Manchester sometime. Seeing hows I'm currently ranked in the top 10 CT bullseye pistol shooters I might be able to give you a pointer or two.  >:D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 12:43:19 AM »
You might try 200gr fnl (flat-nosed lead), but I think what you are experiencing is not "snappiness" but merely a different grip angle.

I have several 1917's and they are as individual and quirky as any 1911 - just with fewer options for bubba-ing. =D

Take 280plus up on his offer.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »

and,,,you're still welcome to meet me at MSI range in Manchester sometime. Seeing hows I'm currently ranked in the top 10 CT bullseye pistol shooters I might be able to give you a pointer or two.  >:D

Yeah, but CT is about the size of some city parks here in Phoenix.   :P ;)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 08:21:57 AM »
Yeah, but CT is about the size of some city parks here in Phoenix.   :P ;)

It's a little bigger than that, but not much... Never could figure how how people could stand to live that close together though, even after almost 4 years of living there.

As to the OP, perfect excuse to get a reloading set up. The Lee stuff is perfectly serviceable. Find a source for for properly sized lead bullets, acquire a supply of brass, buy some primers and powder and you're off to the races. For about $150 or so you can be in business. It wouldn't take too much to spend more than that in ammo.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:32:06 AM »
I have read some articles that state these guys have come up with mild loads.
http://www.doubletapammo.com
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 09:02:30 AM »

While I'm pretty handy with an auto, I'm a revolver neophyte, and while I can do just fine with the Smith at 10 yards, my accuracy beyond that pretty much blows.  I would like to focus on marksmanship fundamentals for now, and move on to recoil mitigation later.  A lighter load might do the trick.  Also, I don't reload... I know once I go down that road there will be a giant sucking sound coming from my wallet.

You're shooting .45.  There's already a giant sucking sound coming from your wallet.

All the .45 I shoot is my handloads.  I speced out a basic handloading setup in a thread here a few months ago.  It came to about $200.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:08:16 AM »
Any of the factory .45ACP target semi-wadcutters will be mild.

FTR, I shoot my S&W1917 better than any revo I own.  I shoot hardball, mostly.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
Fine, last time I shot nationals I placed ~175th overall.  I think I was #72 ish in the Expert category. ;)

That WAS a few years ago. Haven't shot the nationals in a while. Not crazy about driving all the way to Bridgeport.  [barf]

Some days are better than others. =D

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:02:09 PM »
Fine, last time I shot nationals I placed ~175th overall.  I think I was #72 ish in the Expert category. ;)

That WAS a few years ago. Haven't shot the nationals in a while. Not crazy about driving all the way to Bridgeport.  [barf]

Some days are better than others. =D

Lol, sorry.  My anti-east-coast sentiments come out easily after elections.  Tiny little states and all that.   =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
We may be small but we got one of the biggest tax burdens around!  :facepalm:  [barf]

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »
Thank you to everyone who replied so far.  I checked out each of the linked ammo suppliers, but I couldn't find any non-standard loads.  I did find some info that a .45 Auto Rim load was once offered at a lower velocity, but couldn't find any for sale.

Considering the price of .45 Auto Rim anyway, reloading looks like the only way to go, as many have mentioned.  I do have a S&W M1905 4th Change .38 that has considerably less recoil with 130gr FMJ; I might consider that for practice as it's pretty much a 2/3rds scale M1917.

Any of the factory .45ACP target semi-wadcutters will be mild.

FTR, I shoot my S&W1917 better than any revo I own.  I shoot hardball, mostly.

Thanks roo_ster, I'll have to shop around some more.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »
I've bought Ultramax remanufactured 9mm ammo before, and their LRN stuff is loaded pretty anemic (I hated it.)  See if they make any .45 with lead bullets.  It'd be worth 1 box to try it.

As far as reloading goes, you can start out pretty cheap with a Lee Reloader press and a set of dies, a cheap digital scale, and a homemade powder scoop.  (you can even just *borrow* the scale until you get your dipper calibrated)  If you get into it bigtime you'll at least want a better press and a balance-beam scale, but a spare single-stage press is always handy.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:58:16 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 07:10:47 PM »
nice mild .45 load?  Corbon & Buffalo Bore (I'm pretty sure it's BB) make a .45 auto rim 165gr  Barnes x load that feels like a .22lr in my S&W 325.  It's too expensive for range use, but if I carry it that's what I plan to use.  I'm actually looking for a mild range load for it.   The Winchester 185gr target load is pretty mild in my Kimber ultra carry, so I need to try it.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 07:30:42 PM »
Actually, darned if I don't have reloading .45 acp all set up at my house. We might could make some for you.  ;)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 08:57:38 PM »
Get a Lee kit, dies and make your own.  I use to shoot Berry's 185gr FP with either 5.6 grains of W231, 5.0gr of Bullseye. I've used 7.4 grains of Unique.  All fairly soft loads for practicing with.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 09:59:09 PM »
Get a Lee kit, dies and make your own.  I use to shoot Berry's 185gr FP with either 5.6 grains of W231, 5.0gr of Bullseye. I've used 7.4 grains of Unique.  All fairly soft loads for practicing with.

4.7 grains of Bullseye, behind anything from 180 gr to 230 gr.  All good.

The P90's tough, I should experiment....

----copy/paste from elsewhere----

Lee Breech Lock Anneversary Kit, $104 

.45 ACP die set, $27

To which I would add a couple reloading trays, $10 total, $12.40

and a caliper, $26.  Most of this is Lee, and thus cheap but functional.

Add Lyman's manual and you're right around $200 for a single stage press setup. 

Add consumables, powder at $20-ish/lb, which is good for probably 2000 rounds of your typical .45 ACP loading, , primers at around $33/thousand and bullets (whatever they cost, I haven't had to buy in years).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 09:29:52 AM »
Aren't all .45 ACP loads mild  ???

:P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 10:30:34 AM »
From the Ammo Library in the Oehler Ballistic Explorer, the mildest loads are:

185gr.@775fps

Federal GM45B  FMJ-SWC Match
Federal 45B    FMJ-SWC Match

185gr.@770fps

Winchester X45AWCP  FMC-SWC
CCI 3569 TMJ

Oehler does not update that library at any great rate and some of those may no longer be produced.

Of course the mildest option is to prep some cases (Auto-Rim might be best) and primer pop wax bullets. :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:34:51 AM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 12:53:38 PM »
nice mild .45 load?  Corbon & Buffalo Bore (I'm pretty sure it's BB) make a .45 auto rim 165gr  Barnes x load that feels like a .22lr in my S&W 325.  It's too expensive for range use, but if I carry it that's what I plan to use.  I'm actually looking for a mild range load for it.   The Winchester 185gr target load is pretty mild in my Kimber ultra carry, so I need to try it.

Unfortunately Buffalo Bore doesn't seem to offer that load any more, though this one is interesting for defensive use:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=73

Lee, the math certainly is favorable in that equation, but since I'm only working part time right now, I think I'll hold off on reloading until I get a full time job.

Aren't all .45 ACP loads mild  ???

They weren't exactly ripping my tendons apart, but compared to a 1911 the 1917 is snappy.  As vaskidmark pointed out, this is probably due to the different grip angle, though I imagine that the recoil impulse is absorbed somewhat by the action of the 1911.

Oehler does not update that library at any great rate and some of those may no longer be produced.

Indeed, a quick Google search didn't reveal much.  Those that were in stock were in the $1/round price range.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 01:10:07 PM »
4.7 grains of Bullseye, behind anything from 180 gr to 230 gr.  All good.

The P90's tough, I should experiment....

----copy/paste from elsewhere----

Lee Breech Lock Anneversary Kit, $104 

.45 ACP die set, $27

To which I would add a couple reloading trays, $10 total, $12.40

and a caliper, $26.  Most of this is Lee, and thus cheap but functional.

Add Lyman's manual and you're right around $200 for a single stage press setup. 

Add consumables, powder at $20-ish/lb, which is good for probably 2000 rounds of your typical .45 ACP loading, , primers at around $33/thousand and bullets (whatever they cost, I haven't had to buy in years).

I bet you could get that down to $100 or less.  This $25 press should be adequate for pistol cartridges:

http://fsreloading.com/lee-reloader-press-90045.html  (I should buy one just to try them out)

The Harbor Freight digital calipers work surprisingly well, and they often go on sale for $15 -- but why does he even need calipers for loading mild ammo?

"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »
Wax bullets:

1. Melt & mix paraffin + a healthy bit  of petroleum-based black power bullet lube in a bread pan; only as deep as you want your wax bullet to be long.

2. Supply of cleaned, magnum-primed, and belled cartridges (belled just a bit, though.  Still want them to be able to chamber).

3. Take hte cartridges and push down into paraffin mix while it is still somewhat warm & resilient.

4. Put cartridges aside to stiffen up.

Add paraffin & lube to the tin with all the wax voids in it to make up the loss.

Yes, the wax bullets will shoot just fine with just the primer to push them.  Will penetrate one thickness of cardboard from across the garage.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »
Hornady has a  turn-key single stage reloading press starter kit that includes everthing except powder, primers, dies, and bullets (press, scale, powder measure, handbook, misc stuff).  Amazon has them for $300 with free shipping.  Montana Gold has excellent bulk prices on plated buwwets, and a lb of most pistol/shotty powders will be enough to load a case's worth of cartridges.  Or you can go for broke and get a 4 or 8 lb kegger of bang dust.

To put it in perspective, for about the price of what you'd pay for a case of name-brand ammo you can have the complete setup and enough supplies to load a case of your own.  Either way you end up with a case of ammo, but one way give you the ability to roll your own afterwards.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:53:43 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »
If you are going to reload, get some .45 autorim brass. You don't have to rely on moon clips then, but you can still use them if you want.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 05:31:06 PM »
I bet you could get that down to $100 or less.

Probably could.  I'd tend to favor the Lee hand Press, which is still less than $30.  Go with the Lee die set, and you get the powder scoop and shell holder with it.  Skip the calipers, eyeball it for the relatively low pressure .45.  Or get the cheap plastic caliper.  Do get the reloading trays, but you might be able to handmake something with a bit of wood and a hand auger.  That leaves you needing something to prime with.  Lee Ergo Prime, plus shell holder, or Lyman or RCBS ram prime die (Lee's sucks).

Should get you in for less than $100.

This $25 press should be adequate for pistol cartridges:

http://fsreloading.com/lee-reloader-press-90045.html  (I should buy one just to try them out)

The Harbor Freight digital calipers work surprisingly well, and they often go on sale for $15 -- but why does he even need calipers for loading mild ammo?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 06:25:07 PM by lee n. field »