Author Topic: M.H.I.  (Read 12306 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: M.H.I.
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2012, 09:28:14 PM »
I have a bit of a MHI inspired complex right now.
While shopping over the weekend, my wife bought a 'WELCOME' mat that is now on our front door stoop.
We've lived in our house for over 11 years without a 'WELCOME' mat and have never been attacked by vampires.
I think there might be a correlation... =|

I'm glad I'm not the only one to check the door mats after reading MHI...  [tinfoil]

(Ours say "Whooooo's there?"... so we're good.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

birdman

• friend
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2012, 07:48:54 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one to check the door mats after reading MHI...  [tinfoil]

(Ours say "Whooooo's there?"... so we're good.)

Ours is a skull and crossbones :)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2012, 10:30:41 AM »
I head read the first MHI some months ago. Recently ordered and received the last three.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2012, 11:12:54 AM »
I head read the first MHI some months ago. Recently ordered and received the last three.

I just finished Legion. Loved it. My only criticism is that the author keeps making bigger and more awful monsters. It's getting to the point where the heroes are godlike.

Versus, for example, the more interesting (to me) normal dudes fighting more reasonable monsters.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

brimic

• friends
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »
I just finished Legion. Loved it. My only criticism is that the author keeps making bigger and more awful monsters. It's getting to the point where the heroes are godlike.

Versus, for example, the more interesting (to me) normal dudes fighting more reasonable monsters.

But there are some great imaginative monsters in between the low level zombies and high level boss monsters- diggers, giant werewolves, armored zombie bears....

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2012, 11:38:16 AM »
But there are some great imaginative monsters in between the low level zombies and high level boss monsters- diggers, giant werewolves, armored zombie bears....

Sure, and in the last two books, the monsters have been godlike, requiring godlike powers from the heroes.

I hate to whine about realism in a monster book, but... it's a bit much
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2012, 11:43:52 AM »
Sure, and in the last two books, the monsters have been godlike, requiring godlike powers from the heroes.

Ummm... Every book has required that. Think about MHI and Vendetta: in both cases, an outside force had to imbue or provide Owen with godlike powers in order to defeat the monster. (In addition to the amulet of Alpha and the boogy man of Legion.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 12:22:20 PM »
I haven't read the last one or two books yet.
But I'll agree that even in the first book when Owen turned back time to undo what happened in the swamp was more than a bit annoying...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 08:49:32 PM »
I haven't read the last one or two books yet.
But I'll agree that even in the first book when Owen turned back time to undo what happened in the swamp was more than a bit annoying...

http://tinyurl.com/nxrqfc

:laugh:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 10:13:25 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2012, 10:34:23 PM »

It's all a bit much.  "B" movie over the top.  Larry even says so himself.  That's the fun of it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »
Legion was short. Read it in 2 days. Needs to be longer. *nods sagely*

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »
Yeah I breezed through it pretty quick, but I was also eager to find out how my namesake got redshirted.  =D
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2012, 11:41:36 PM »
Yeah I breezed through it pretty quick, but I was also eager to find out how my namesake got redshirted.  =D

Your screen name here was mentioned in tarantula nebula and it took me a while to make the connection between you here and you on bookfacez

It involved you, some nipple clamps. And a few of the cat people. At least, I think it did. Or maybe wanted it to
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2012, 11:56:26 PM »
Legion was short. Read it in 2 days. Needs to be longer. *nods sagely*

Slacker. ;)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2012, 01:26:59 AM »
Your screen name here was mentioned in tarantula nebula and it took me a while to make the connection between you here and you on bookfacez

It involved you, some nipple clamps. And a few of the cat people. At least, I think it did. Or maybe wanted it to

As long as we're all tracking now.  :O

birdman

• friend
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »

HAHAHAHA that's awesome, you must have been like "hey!  Devonai!  That dude is on APS!"  I wonder if this David guy knows him?  Oh...wait...

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2012, 02:30:19 PM »
Maybe that is why I liked Alpha more... the powers of both the good and bad guys was a little more constrained. Plus with the limited scope of the story, there was a little more character depth.

That said, I look forward to the over the top finale. On the good guy side, we got the chosen one, the guardian, the alpha male and female, a master with a lessor, orcs, elves, and a worldwide army of hunters.
On the bad guy side we got the Eldritch Abominations, MCB leadership, STFU, and evil minions.

This will be quite the showdown.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2012, 02:39:04 PM »
Don't forget the gnomes. They be representin'!  :laugh:

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »
Fitz, have you read Dead Six?  I think you'd enjoy it.  Only a hint of the supernatural:

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Six-Larry-Correia/dp/1451637586/

Drew, I'm in complete agreement.  Alpha is definitely the strongest of the series.

HAHAHAHA that's awesome, you must have been like "hey!  Devonai!  That dude is on APS!"  I wonder if this David guy knows him?  Oh...wait...

=D  I created that character name for an RPG session 17 years ago by taking my first name, jumbling it up, and adding a few letters.  It caused the GM no end of consternation as he was constantly calling me either "Dave" or "Dev."  Later, he married a woman named Deb, and the potential for embarrassment got exponentially worse.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:48:25 PM by Devonai »

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2012, 02:50:13 PM »
I will say that the impromptu poultry-patch had me laughing for several minutes. I wanna see what Skippy could do if he got his mitts on a CH-53A Sea Stallion.  [popcorn]

birdman

• friend
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »
I will say that the impromptu poultry-patch had me laughing for several minutes. I wanna see what Skippy could do if he got his mitts on a CH-53A Sea Stallion.  [popcorn]

Make it an echo and I'm with you...the A was kinda...crappy, by the time the delta and echo rolled around, that airframe got interesting :)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2012, 03:58:20 PM »
Make it an echo and I'm with you...the A was kinda...crappy, by the time the delta and echo rolled around, that airframe got interesting :)

Actually I'd rather it be a CH-53K, but I don't have videos of either the E or K doing barrel rolls and loops.  :lol:  Plus story line plausibility (for a fantasy/sci-fi book, I know, I know), getting a 53A second hand versus getting a new off the line E or K.

ETA:
http://youtu.be/k_pAe8Gvua8

I really want to see what would happen if Sikorsky took the K model, added a fourth engine side by side with the rear/center engine and beefed up the rotor blades/spindle some more. Oh, and that's a humvee loaded internally by the way.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 04:01:27 PM by kgbsquirrel »

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2012, 04:05:12 PM »
Don't forget the gnomes. They be representin'!  :laugh:

Dem gnomes be crazy

natural born killaz

I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
Actually I'd rather it be a CH-53K, but I don't have videos of either the E or K doing barrel rolls and loops.  :lol:  Plus story line plausibility (for a fantasy/sci-fi book, I know, I know), getting a 53A second hand versus getting a new off the line E or K.

ETA:
http://youtu.be/k_pAe8Gvua8

I really want to see what would happen if Sikorsky took the K model, added a fourth engine side by side with the rear/center engine and beefed up the rotor blades/spindle some more. Oh, and that's a humvee loaded internally by the way.

Why not just replace the 3 T64's with 3 AE1107's from an osprey, they are only 12" bigger in diameter, and you'd have more power than 4 T64's :)

As for loops/rolls, a coworker was a USMC test pilot and said he has personally looped an echo in a test. (I never validated his story, but he was not one to embellish...one of those 'quiet types')

...on purpose...

...The airframe was retired due to over stress.

...he thought he might have over stressed his sphincter
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 04:21:53 PM by birdman »