Author Topic: another drone attack foiled by American shotgunners! ( we've seen this movie b4)  (Read 15301 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Blasphemy!  This is APS.  Overkill reigns.

Isn't there a song about that?

"We shall over kill"
We shall over kill, We shall over kill someday, for its deep in my heart, I do believe, We shall over kill some day.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Shoulder held PVC pipe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRSeYh5wPm8&feature=share&list=UUMIBETrCnwBJHCKcVuRNQTg

This is why it's not practical. Wait to the end and watch the flight. 

I built the exact same thing in high school, save not as much visual appeal with some 5" PVC drainpipe and an Estes model rocket with it's fins cut to fit, and all you get is about 50-100' of straight flight, then it goes crazy.

Granted, one might do better with angled spin-fins, and a different weight distribution and center of pressure etc. but hitting a RC airplane or quad-rotor drone with a model rocket and a shotshell to provide "flak" would be as big an exercise in blind luck as it gets.

I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
>I was actually thinking of assaulting their drone.  At the least you could paint their camera.  Not sure if paint balls could damage it or cause it to crash.<

Paintballs to a lens would likely cause at least a lil damage.

Causing it to crash? Not so sure...
I bet you could crash a copter, especially if you found some paint balls that used a heavier, stickier "paint" that messed with the rotors. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Going in the opposite direction for a simple solution is to use tear away drag lines.

Take your little RC craft, multicopter, plane, etc. Now, make some drag lines, basic cotton string, small fishing weight at one end, and a paper tear away tab at the other. Tape a few of these drag lines to your craft of choice and simply overfly the offending multicopter slowly and allow the lines to entangle the props.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Don't we have some computer engineers who work in aerospace?

I have to think that a semi-autonomous "drone-killing" drone would be a... useful... project.

90% of what I do is FAA cert stuff  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Going in the opposite direction for a simple solution is to use tear away drag lines.

Take your little RC craft, multicopter, plane, etc. Now, make some drag lines, basic cotton string, small fishing weight at one end, and a paper tear away tab at the other. Tape a few of these drag lines to your craft of choice and simply overfly the offending multicopter slowly and allow the lines to entangle the props.

Effective: Yes.

But fails to meet the APS minimum requirements for over-engineering and boominess.

=D ;) :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Effective: Yes.

But fails to meet the APS minimum requirements for over-engineering and boominess.

=D ;) :P

Use det cord instead.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Use det cord instead.

Almost there....

How about using decorative fish net made of det cord?  =D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I just had a thought, isn't there already a "sentry gun" that uses airsoft?

Why not find a way to loft that? Then all you have to do is get close enough to the other drone to set off the sentry gun's sensors?

Autonomous firing, controlled flying.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
I just had a thought, isn't there already a "sentry gun" that uses airsoft?

Why not find a way to loft that? Then all you have to do is get close enough to the other drone to set off the sentry gun's sensors?

Autonomous firing, controlled flying.

See previous mention of airsoft auto turrets.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
See previous mention of airsoft auto turrets.

Should have known someone would beat me to it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought