Author Topic: ADHD drugs reduce criminal behavior  (Read 2717 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
ADHD drugs reduce criminal behavior
« on: November 22, 2012, 08:02:53 AM »
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1203241

A very interesting study out of Sweden showing that adults with ADHD commit more crimes and that ADHD meds reduce criminal behavior.  The reduction was from 32% for men and 41% for women, which is quite significant.  I wonder how long it will be before the criminal justice system starts trying this out.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: ADHD drugs reduce criminal behavior
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 08:09:53 AM »
I wonder how long until an ADHD diagnosis becomes reason for court mandated medication, prior to any wrongdoing?
Hi.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 10:40:59 AM »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 01:04:18 PM »

Yes.

Because humanity suffers from an epic and endemic drug deficiency.

aholes.

Spent the last four or five decades ridiculing what works and pushing drugs instead.

Did I already say "aholes?"
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 06:43:25 PM »
If the 32 percent reduction is real, I can't fathom an alternative therapy that would even be in the same ballpark.

I don't necessarily think whatever big pharma makes is good for us, but we've known for quite some time that brain chemistry has a lot to do with behaviour. If there's a drug that helps people live well, I say prescribe away.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »
Or we could walk back the society of self absorbed *expletive deleted*ck ups that can't cope with reality because they are shielded as children and taught the entire universe revolves around them. Or that people with minor cases learn to cope rather than being fed happy pills.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 07:53:53 PM »
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1203241

A very interesting study out of Sweden showing that adults with ADHD commit more crimes and that ADHD meds reduce criminal behavior.  The reduction was from 32% for men and 41% for women, which is quite significant.  I wonder how long it will be before the criminal justice system starts trying this out.

What about the fraction of a percent that get turned into Reavers ?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 09:14:20 PM »
What about the fraction of a percent that get turned into Reavers ?   =|

All we want is a better world....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 06:25:58 AM »

"..there is always soma, delicious soma, half a gramme for a half-holiday, a gramme for a week-end, two grammes for a trip to the gorgeous East, three for a dark eternity on the moon..."
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 04:09:59 PM »

If the 32 percent reduction is real, I can't fathom an alternative therapy that would even be in the same ballpark.

I don't necessarily think whatever big pharma makes is good for us, but we've known for quite some time that brain chemistry has a lot to do with behaviour. If there's a drug that helps people live well, I say prescribe away.

Can't fathom?  My snarky side wants to suggest that you ought to get out more, but that wouldn't be fair to you.  "Getting out" more won't help you see what has been carefully hidden from you for decades.  Let me therefore suggest that you be a) more inventive in your quest, and b) that you suspend your prejudices during that search.

It's out there.

Oh, and may I also suggest that "effective" can have different meanings depending on one's frame of reference.  Prefrontal lobotomies were also "deemed effective."  And you have to admit, a guy sitting in a chair drooling isn't out committing crimes.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 04:14:57 PM by ArfinGreebly »
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 04:57:29 PM »
It should not be surprising that adults with ADHD are statistically more likely to commit crimes.

We already know that:

1. A majority of criminals have learning issues, to a point that prisons have distinctly lower literacy and education rates than the rest of the country.

2. ADHD makes it harder for you to learn things, especially the harsher forms of ADHD, and also often makes you hyperactive (thus the name, hyperactivity disorder). Thus, it seems likely that the people who have it are more likely to commit crimes if left untreated.

Does this mean that the state should have the power to force people to take the medicine? Certainly not.

But:

1. People who have the disorder (a fraction of those having attention issues, and probably a fraction of those diagnosed), should be able to have it prescibed and paid by their medical insurance or whoever pays for their medical treatment. In the specific case of people with actual ADHD these medicines are a medical treatment just like anti-depressants with the chronically depressed and antipsychotics with those who require them.

2. Since all drugs should be legal, those having attention issues should have access to these drugs.

3. In general, nootropic (brain enhancement) drugs should be legal.

Et ceterum censeo FDA delenda essem.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 05:06:26 PM »
Does this mean that the state should have the power to force people to take the medicine? Certainly not.

In some cases, the state does have the power to force people to take medications.  I can think of two offhand that still commonly occur:

Public heath issues, such as TB patients who refuse to take meds. 
Patients who are psychotic and a danger to themselves or others who refuse to take meds, or mentally-ill criminals who are given meds in an attempt to restore them to competency so that they can assist in their own defense.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »
I'm sure there are legitimate reasons sometimes to do so.

But ADHD is so badly-defined, and so many people 'can be said to have it', I cannot imagine anything good coming of forcing people to take ADHD drugs.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 05:27:43 PM »
Can't fathom?  My snarky side wants to suggest that you ought to get out more, but that wouldn't be fair to you.  "Getting out" more won't help you see what has been carefully hidden from you for decades.  Let me therefore suggest that you be a) more inventive in your quest, and b) that you suspend your prejudices during that search.

It's out there.

Oh, and may I also suggest that "effective" can have different meanings depending on one's frame of reference.  Prefrontal lobotomies were also "deemed effective."  And you have to admit, a guy sitting in a chair drooling isn't out committing crimes.

Really?  Suggesting that if true, this would be a good drug to take is the same as worshipping drugs and lobotomies?

To me, an emotional hatred of all mental drug treatment is just as silly as insisting on a pill for every problem.  Let the research and science determine our approach is my view.

And yes, that dramatic an effect isn't possible with other therapies.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 05:51:55 PM »

I'm not even remotely interested in taking any chemical concoction, intended for "mental" applications, purveyed by people who, by their own admission, still don't know how the mind works.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 05:56:42 PM »
Shall we assume you don't drink coffee?

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »

Shall we assume you don't drink coffee?

Funny.

I have a standing lifetime prescription for coffee.  I got it from an old witch doctor when I was much younger.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 12:12:02 AM »

Really?  Suggesting that if true, this would be a good drug to take is the same as worshipping drugs and lobotomies?

To me, an emotional hatred of all mental drug treatment is just as silly as insisting on a pill for every problem.  Let the research and science determine our approach is my view.

And yes, that dramatic an effect isn't possible with other therapies.

Yes.  Science.  Research.  But only such research as is properly blessed.  And we'll use our science to create a diagnostic manual whose contents are the subject of a voting procedure.

And anything that doesn't fit our science model we will kill with fire.  Or at least with ridicule.

Consensus uber alles, with broad latitude for, er, ah, experimentation as needed.

Yup.  Those are the guys I want writing prescriptions.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 12:39:08 AM »
What is it that you think is being killed by fire???

I don't see how this field of medicine is all that different from others.  I'm not sure I agree with your claim that "they" admit they don't know how the brain works - there has been quite a bit of knowledge built up over the past hundred years in particular.  The effects of stimulants on cognitive skills and behaviour have been and continue to be studied.

Why should that be so objectionable?  And what do you think it is they're ignoring or hiding?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 08:53:16 AM »
Maybe I've got cause to be a little extra sensitive on this topic, but whiskey tango foxtrot? Rein this thread in or I'm going to come back after work and issue some pimp slaps.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 10:16:05 AM »
Uh-oh. Looks like Jamis needs some o' them meds.  :P  :police:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 02:02:04 PM »

In the interest of conflict reduction, I will not comment further on this.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »
I'm just trying to figure out how all us kids of the fifties and sixties managed to survive (let alone our teachers) without Ritalin etc being forced on us  ???

Most of us even managed to grow up without being mass murderers so far.  ;)

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
With far higher violent crime rates then than there are now?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »
With far higher violent crime rates then than there are now?

I thought violent crime was about the same then, and the high point was the 70s and 80s.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife