Author Topic: basically good advice  (Read 1021 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
basically good advice
« on: November 29, 2012, 03:48:06 PM »
While this situation was not only a false accusation but probably a highly vindictive false accusation, the lessons apply whenever you find yourself in the middle of the deep stuff.

These are not the only things you need to know, but they might help you get ready in case anything ever does happen.

stay safe.

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/11/28/bogus-allegations/#axzz2DbhWnZ8H
Of course, few people give much thought to what they should do (and not do) if they are falsely accused. But like the Gesses, prior to their ordeal, you too might have an “it’ll never happen to me” attitude. But the truth is, there’s no way to know for sure what curveballs life might have in store—and it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Read on for 12 lessons that Michelle Gesse has learned in the Criminal Justice School of Hard Knocks. Having this information beforehand might make a huge difference if you or a loved one is ever falsely accused of a crime.

Have an “arrest plan” in place (yes, it could happen to you). Generally, people don’t assume that their homes will catch fire. Statistically speaking, it’s not a likely occurrence. But most people still take out homeowner’s or renter’s insurance, just in case. Likewise, though you hope it’ll never happen, you teach your child to scream and run if accosted by a stranger. You’ve probably considered what you’d do if someone approached you in a dark parking lot. And depending on where you live, your family may have a wildfire, hurricane, tornado, or earthquake plan in place. In the same way, says Gesse, you should think through and be prepared for a possible arrest.

“None of us think something like this could happen to us, but it is possible that at some point in your life you or someone you love may be arrested,” she says. “It could be your spouse, your child, a relative, or a good friend. What would you do if this happened? Would you be forearmed with any strategy or knowledge, or would you be floundering, completely at the mercy of ‘the system’? Believe me, it’s a good idea to think about what you would do if you were confronted by the police at your own front door, or how you might respond if you received a phone call telling you that a loved one had been arrested. That disaster may have a higher probability than many of those for which you have prepared.”

Likewise, it is wise to have “the talk” with your kids beforehand. This particular “talk” should be about what they should do if they are ever arrested or interrogated by law enforcement officers, regardless of the reason.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: basically good advice
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »

Only plan should be "If under arrest: present ID, ask for lawyer, shut up until otherwise directed by lawyer."
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:11:01 PM »
If they ask to search the answer is always no. If they ask to come in the answer is no.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:20:28 PM »
not always  if some fool says i threatened him with an ar and there are none in house i might tell em look around

had neighbor call cops about my barking dogs.  cops showed up i told em walk around take a look shes been crazy so i have dog at buddys place. and she still calls you guys. they looked  went next door and she got a ride in the back of a police car not me.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:24:15 PM »
If they ask to search the answer is always no. If they ask to come in the answer is no.

Treat them like vampires, then?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 02:16:48 AM »

Yeah, that about covers it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 11:09:17 AM »

Do NOT have a welcome mat at the door.  (Written permission to enter and turn your family and all that....)
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »
Do NOT have a welcome mat at the door.  (Written permission to enter and turn your family and all that....)

All the No Trespassing signs coming up the long driveway might be a hint  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »