Author Topic: Thank God for Smoke Detectors  (Read 2680 times)

uvakat

• friend
Thank God for Smoke Detectors
« on: April 05, 2005, 07:04:34 AM »
I seriously thank god for the invention of smoke detectors. Me being the college student I am procrastinated on an assignment until two days before it was due so I've been up late every night working. I ended up boiling water for tea since my stomach can't take very much more coffee. I accidently fell asleep trying to get this lab report done and was woken by the smoke detector. I managed to get at least the fire under control and it was contained to the pot, but I am soo thankful 1. I have landlords who go around checking our apt smoke detectors and 2. that it worked when I needed it.
Nothing like a couple hundred rounds down range to make a girl feel better.  

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 07:12:36 AM »
Holy carp.  Close call!  Glad you are okay.  In addition to smoke detectors, look into renters insurance too.  It seriously saved my butt once in a fire.

-Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 07:17:10 AM »
You set a pot of water on fire?  Wow, that's talent!  Just kidding; glad you are OK.

uvakat

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 07:23:24 AM »
Yes I was having a pretty idoitic moment... and thanks I'm glad I'm okay too. I think I'm going to turn this last paper in and then go to bed before I attempt to do anything else with a gas stove.
Nothing like a couple hundred rounds down range to make a girl feel better.  

spacemanspiff

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 07:35:31 AM »
so how much gas is in your water?
Smiley

for the life of me i hate smoke detectors. every time i cook (read burn) a meal they go off.
so i unhooked mine. even the hardwired one. eventually i'll put em back together.
Wear a Yellow Armband!

Chas

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 07:55:32 AM »
Smoke alarms and CO detectors are very important to keeping yourself and your family safe. CO especially since it is oderless and colorless. So get 'em before you need 'em.

BTW, get the Kidde brand...since I work at the CO sensor facility and you'd be helping with my job security. Cheesy
Chuck
Ignorance is curable, stupidity is forever...

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 09:18:09 AM »
You and my mother should share recipes.

If everybody would put a good smoke and CO detector in every room, burn units would be out of a job.  

Now, here's the lesson...  Go to the hardware store, and buy yourself a couple of fire extinguishers.  Put one in your car, and several in your house.  Remember, there is no such thing as an "inexpensive" fire extinguisher.  It's either high quality, or it's a doorstop.

spacemanspiff

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 09:50:58 AM »
from the insurance side, get an extinguisher that is rated for ABC. the extinguisher should be serviced annually. oh yeah, and the batteries in your smoke and CO detectors should be changed every six months. keep a log when you change them.

yes, i dont practice what i preach. sue my burned charred corpse, will ya? Smiley
Wear a Yellow Armband!

Happy Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 04:25:19 PM »
Glad you'te OK, Kat.

An easy way to remember when to replace the batteries is to do it at the Daylight Saving time changes in spring and fall.
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 10:59:32 AM »
spaceman spiff wrote, "from the insurance side, get an extinguisher that is rated for ABC. the extinguisher should be serviced annually.

How does one do that?  Take it to the local Fire Dept.?  I check the pressure gauge fairly often, but I actually never test fired it.  Maybe I should take it with me on the next trip to the desert....
To the stars!

spacemanspiff

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 11:29:30 AM »
i think the local fire department will do it. there might also be a local store that sells fire extinguishers and has the qualified expurts on hand to service it for you.

at work if you have an extinguisher on hand, it should have a tag with the dates its been serviced.

or if you are independantly wealthy, go buy new ones. any dwelling-type place we insure, its mandatory to have the extinguishers serviced annually.

come to think of it, i dont even know if i have an extinguisher in my apartment. and i know its not been serviced since we've moved in.
Wear a Yellow Armband!

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 11:55:03 AM »
If it is the dry white powdery type and you test fire it, it may continue leaking powder out afterwards.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 12:16:10 PM »
I take my ABC ones to the fire station.  They test them for free, and pump 'em up if they need it.