Author Topic: Are you a LEO? (Law enforcement officer) Why?  (Read 2249 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Are you a LEO? (Law enforcement officer) Why?
« on: April 05, 2005, 09:42:39 AM »
Like the title says, are you a LEO? Why did you become one? Do you regret it?
I've been thinking of getting out of the IT world into something more meaningful, any thoughts would be useful.  LEOs or ex-LEOs only please Smiley

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 10:49:32 AM »
No love over at THR, eh?  Wink

I'm not a cop but I was a security guard in college (unarmed).  Only opportunity I've ever had to actually drive my vehicle into an office building into the lobby so I could have a radio to listen to. Cheesy

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 12:05:34 PM »
check the cop talk board on glocktalk.com, many LEOs there

Morgan

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 01:12:54 AM »
I used to be in banking and network administration at a large bank.  Booorrriiinnggg.  Before that, I roadraced motorcycles, so I guess most things would be boring...

I've been a cop for about five years now, with a large, big city department.  Lots of problems - morale, politics, general idiocy - but despite all that, I'm fairly happy.

I enjoy my work.  Most of my co-workers are great.  I get to help some who need it, and I enjoy the hunt.  If you think you're going to change the world you won't be happy.

Do some ride-alongs.  Get to know some real cops with whatever department you're interested in.  The Job isn't for everyone, but it can be challenging and rewarding.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 02:38:30 AM »
The one thing that kept me from leaving my IT job a few years ago and going into LE was the pay.  I would have had to take a cut and it would have been several years before I caught up again.  Now it is really out of the question.

If you decide to do this, keep in mind you will likely be up against A LOT of competition to get on with a department somewhere.  I remember one testing session I took and there was over 100 people there for 1 open position.  Everyone thinks they have what it takes to do police work.  Most don't.  

Also, it's fairly boring work most of the time, maybe not as boring as what you are doing now but it isn't a "COPS" episode so get that out of your head now.  Good luck if you decide to try.  You'll need all you can get.

Greg

Hypnogator

• http://www.forcetactics.com
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 07:20:26 AM »
I'm a retired Army Criminal Investigator.  Loved every minute of it.  Every case was a challenge, and no two were alike.

Also liked helping people who needed it.  One case I recall most fondly was a GI who was ETSing, and who got paid about $3k in leave and final pay, which he proceeded to put in a knife box in an awol bag, which he left in his car with his buddy when he went to sign out of the unit.  When he got back, his buddy was gone, and so was the money.  Not a big mystery, but the buddy denied knowledge and wouldn't take a polygraph.  We had no other evidence, so I assigned the case to one of my apprentices as an interrogation exercise.  To make a long story short, the apprentice questioned the suspect, got nowhere, then called me in.  I played "bad cop," yelling at my apprentice, saying we were going to write the suspect as a subject, see that he was court-martialled, etc., then stormed out of the room, slamming the door.  In no more time than it took for me to walk down the hall to check my in-box, the subject came charging out of the room with my apprentice right behind.  "Well," I thought, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."  As they walked by me, my apprentice said, "We're going to get the money!"  Mind you, there was nothing further to be done on the case when I initially got it -- could have had the apprentice write it as a final, unknown subject case, with no problem.  But it gave me a lot of satisfaction that I took that extra effort to solve it, and, incidentally, provide some good training for my apprentice.  A couple of weeks later, the office got a letter from the victim asking about his money.  I dictated a letter back to him, saying we had recovered his money, that we still needed it for evidence, and that it would be forwarded to him by registered mail as soon as we were through with it.  When I signed that letter, I felt 10 feet tall.  THAT'S what being a law enforcement officer is all about.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 08:51:11 AM »
I tip my hat to you, Hypnogator.  That really is what being a law enforcement officer is all about.

Black92LX

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 04:57:50 PM »
hope to be soon
But my dreams they aren't as empty
As my conscience seems to be
I have hours, only lonely
My love is vengeance
That's never free

Greg Levy

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 06:39:50 PM »
Too all of you out here who do read/post on this thread, my hats off to you.  You see so many 'Bad Cop' threads on some boards, it's depressing.  You are doing a job that I know I am not capable of doing.

Seeing movies like Training Day(and I know..it's Hollyweird, but| show me I am not cut out to be a cop.  I am not sure I would be incoruptable having that kind of power.  I wouldn't have the patience or the disposition to go deal with a domestic violence situation nightly...

Ugh...

Thank you for your efforts.

greg

(now, can one of you do something about my parking tickets?)Cheesy