Author Topic: Why are children being interviewed?  (Read 1212 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Why are children being interviewed?
« on: December 15, 2012, 10:57:24 AM »
Re: the CT school shooting.

What kind of parent allows a child to be interviewed by the media after a traumatic event? 

My answer: dirtbags.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Why are children being interviewed?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:02:02 AM »
If you can't win an argument using reason and facts, you appeal to biases and emotion.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 11:02:24 AM »
It's our culture now. Any opportunity to get a face on TV. In a world where Honey Boo Boo is a celebrity, dignity and decorum are lost ideas...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »
These children have a deep understanding of and unique insight into the subject of a public policy debate.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 12:09:14 PM »
These children have a deep understanding of and unique insight into the subject of a public policy debate.

I'd trust the honest innocence of a 6 year old before I'd trust Obama when it comes to public policy
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 01:09:31 PM »
"The media" are subtly pulling out all the stops to remind Mr. and Mrs. America that this tragedy targeted and killed innocent children. Interviewing adults, even the parents of the children in the school, doesn't have as great an effect as putting scared, distraut children in front of the camera.

There's one story about an 8-year old who was interviewed about the teacher who saved his life (very possibly true) by yanking him out of the corridor into her classroom. But the kid is quoted as saying he could see bullets flying down the hallway.

And the reporter printed it. It makes for such a great story -- even though it's impossible.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »
"The media" are subtly pulling out all the stops to remind Mr. and Mrs. America that this tragedy targeted and killed innocent children. Interviewing adults, even the parents of the children in the school, doesn't have as great an effect as putting scared, distraut children in front of the camera.

There's one story about an 8-year old who was interviewed about the teacher who saved his life (very possibly true) by yanking him out of the corridor into her classroom. But the kid is quoted as saying he could see bullets flying down the hallway.

And the reporter printed it. It makes for such a great story -- even though it's impossible.

QFT

The war on mass shootings is about to commence.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »
If they were serious about having a war on mass shootings, they should start by not covering the story 24/7, by not mentioning the shooter's name, and by not trying to analyze him. Just say he was a POS, probably a wanker. That's it.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 05:11:49 PM »

either he has very good eyesight, saw casings flying, or mistakenly said "saw" instead of "heard".  in any case, he was a lot closer to this tragedy than i would want my kids to be.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 05:29:21 PM »
If they were serious about having a war on mass shootings, they should start by not covering the story 24/7, by not mentioning the shooter's name, and by not trying to analyze him. Just say he was a POS, probably a wanker. That's it.
Yeah, but that doesn't help the ratings.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 05:43:21 PM »

I agree that they should tone it down, but I would like some analysis, since I am sure the .gov will be using this to enact laws and regulations.  I'd like to be privy to the same info they have.

That being said, if it were me, I wouldn't put my kid on TV.  I will say that some of them are very well spoken for their age.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 06:20:18 PM »
Sensationalizing these things only empowers someone else to do it.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 08:40:28 PM »
Interesting point.  They rarely, if ever, interview kids who have survived natural disasters or accidents.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 08:45:14 PM »

Mass murders make good television.  So the news media milks it for all it's worth, and secretly *hopes* for the next one.  Accessory before the fact?  (not legally culpable, but partially responsible just the same)  Bastards.
"It's good, though..."

griz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
They interview kids because it makes a TV show that draws viewers.  Note that the print media doesn't interview kids because their cuteness doesn't come across on paper.

Why do parents let their kids be interviewed?  I guess the TV screen commands a lot of respect.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 10:38:26 AM »
Don't forget fills airspace. Gotta fill that airspace. Yep, I've already posted to the local TV website telling them to all go home and leave the people alone. Lot of positive responses.
Avoid cliches like the plague!