Author Topic: Senator Feinstein to introduce a new AWB  (Read 78699 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: Senator Feinstein to introduce a new AWB
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2012, 06:01:19 PM »
http://globalsociology.com/2012/12/15/on-the-guns-thing-i-would-just-like-to-point-out/

Argument against Pro RKBA rationalizations. 

Maybe...dare I say it?...there are worse things than the occasional massacre...?  Maybe even worse is an entire society and culture living in oppressive conformity or in outright servitude?  You pay a price for everything, you choose your poison.

But there's this in that article:

"Rationalization #3: It’s because of diversity. All these other countries have much more racial and ethnic homogeneity than the United States.

Note that no evidence is ever offered of that claim. But let’s accept it for the sake of argument. The majority of homicides in the US are committed within racial and ethnic groups, not across racial and ethnic lines. If diversity was the issue, we would be discussing epidemics of cross-racial / cross-ethnic violence. That is just not the case. And in the vast majority of the killings under discussion, it is usually white killers / white victims. Diversity has nothing to do with it. Illegal immigration has nothing to do with it. When was the last time such killings were committed by undocumented immigrants?

As a general rule, when people invoke “diversity” as the independent variable (never operationalized as a variable, but amorphously invoked nonetheless), it is the PC way of making a racist argument (it’s because of the non-white people that other European countries don’t have) without being called racist. And it’s wrong every single time."

This author is flat-out wrong about cross-racial and cross-ethnic violence when it comes to ordinary, plain-wrap criminal homicide, as opposed to the headline-grabbing Big Event massacre.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2012, 06:18:22 PM »
Balog, do you have a source for that? I'd like to be able to cite it authoritatively.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »
Balog, do you have a source for that? I'd like to be able to cite it authoritatively.

I posted the link on FB yesterday, wait one while I track it down again.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2012, 06:31:36 PM »

Here we go, from that bastion of deranged bitter clingers BBC News... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20759139
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »
O'Reilly is a moron. I remember him ranting on years ago about how we need to get all the machine guns and bazookas off our streets.  ;/

He thinks there are a lot of machine guns and bazookas out there? Maybe that's why he's always talking about heavy weapons.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2012, 08:27:35 PM »
The abject ignorance about firearms technology in the professional chatter community is staggering.  But it doesn't stop the loudmouths from voicing their opinions about Glocks as mini-Gatling guns.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2012, 09:15:41 PM »
My biggest objection to the great Bill O'Reilly is his use of the term "heavy weapons" when referring to small arms like the civilian versions of the AR, AK, etc.  In addition, if he wants to assert a strong opinion and he almost always has one, he blows his guest away.  This is a guest typically that is very uncomfortable on TV and certainly is not likely to stand up toe to to with BO.  The guy from the Second Amendment foundation is a good example yesterday.  Bill's opinion is always the most important.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:40:50 PM by slingshot »
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »
He's a blowhard who thinks he is far smarter than he is.  No doubt a couple of best sellers written by a "collaborator" have done nothing to shrink his ego.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #158 on: December 19, 2012, 12:14:23 AM »
My biggest objection to the great Bill O'Reilly is his use of the term "heavy weapons" when referring to small arms like the civilian versions of the AR, AK, etc.  In addition, if he wants to assert a strong opinion and he almost always has one, he blows his guest away.  This is a guest typically that is very uncomfortable on TV and certainly is not likely to stand up toe to to with BO.  The guy from the Second Amendment foundation is a good example yesterday.  Bill's opinion is always the most important.
I generally like Bill O'Reilly but those "heavy weaponry" remarks irritate me as well.
He stated tonight he wants owners of AR-15s to be registered with the FBI.
:facepalm: [tinfoil]
This isn't going to help anything.....
Later he stated that if someone was shown to be dangerously psycho, the authorities could check with the FBI and see if he owned a heavy weapon  er, AR-15.
Uh, Billy-boy:NEWSFLASH: when someone is adjudicated nutz and commited a warrant is issued to the police to confiscate ALL the person's firearms, both heavy and light.  Oh, and those pesky omnipresent bazookas as well. :-*
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #159 on: December 19, 2012, 12:27:05 AM »
The first honest opinion piece I've seen on the Sandy Hook Massacre; it's in the San Francisco paper of all places: http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/navarrette/article/Gun-debate-needs-a-waiting-period-4129691.php
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:45:20 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #160 on: December 19, 2012, 12:39:28 AM »
In addition, if he wants to assert a strong opinion and he almost always has one, he blows his guest away.  This is a guest typically that is very uncomfortable on TV and certainly is not likely to stand up toe to to with BO.

There are a bunch of youtube videos of him doing just that. From what little I've watched of him, I don't really care for him.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #161 on: December 19, 2012, 03:26:30 AM »
http://globalsociology.com/2012/12/15/on-the-guns-thing-i-would-just-like-to-point-out/

Argument against Pro RKBA rationalizations. 

This article is fantastic BS from the get-go.

Yes, obviously, nations with more guns will have more murders with guns.
Surely if I had made the decision to murder someone and a gun was available, I'd use that.

...but if I were a murder victim, it'd be cold comfort if I were killed with a knife.

Once the total homicide rate is invoked, his neat little graph falls apart.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #162 on: December 19, 2012, 07:36:48 AM »
Is there yet any clear headed account of the shooting? Not the political circus or the reporting on the funerals, but just timeline, what shots fired with what weapons? Things I want to confirm is that the AR was left in the car, that meshes with getting into the school, probably buzzed in a locked door. So why are we going after assault rifles? I saw a teacher's aide state that the shooting went on for 20 minutes. So much for hero cops eh? If that time is correct that is a lot of time for someone to respond, additionally the pace suggests the POS could have done this with 2 1858s and some spare cylinders.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #163 on: December 19, 2012, 10:46:36 AM »
Is there yet any clear headed account of the shooting? Not the political circus or the reporting on the funerals, but just timeline, what shots fired with what weapons? Things I want to confirm is that the AR was left in the car, that meshes with getting into the school, probably buzzed in a locked door. So why are we going after assault rifles? I saw a teacher's aide state that the shooting went on for 20 minutes. So much for hero cops eh? If that time is correct that is a lot of time for someone to respond, additionally the pace suggests the POS could have done this with 2 1858s and some spare cylinders.

I wasn't aware they were attacking assault rifles. I thought it was semi-automatic rifles, carbines and pistols, their associated standard size magazines and the non-item "assault weapons" they wanted to ban.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #164 on: December 19, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »
At least they recognize it's not going to be that simple.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/18/15977143-gun-control-offers-no-cure-all-in-america?lite

Still slanted.

How does the number of murders committed with firearms compare to the number of suicides committed with firearms?
According to the National Center for Health Statistics, in 2011 there were 19,766 suicides committed with firearms and 11,101 homicides committed with firearms.

The question asked how many "murders." The statistic was "homicides." A police officer shooting an armed felon is a "homicide." So is a shooting in self defense. We have no way of knowing how many of the homicides in their statistic were justified homicides, as opposed to murders.

At risk of being morbid, I'll just point out that the Petit home invasion in Cheshire, CT, a few years ago resulted in the "homicides" of the mother and two teen-aged daughters. No guns involved. The bad guys beat the father with a baseball bat, raped and then strangled the mother, and killed the two daughters by dousing the house with gasoline and dropping a match on their way out.

Where's the rush to ban or register baseball bats and gasoline cans?

On May 18,1927, in Bath Township, Michigan, 45 people (mostly students) were killed and 58 were wounded when a former member of the school board detonated three (3) bombs. The shooters at Columbine in 1999 had set two 20-pound propane bombs. Their original plan had been to blow up the building, then to shoot anyone who survived the bombs. Mercifully, the bombs failed to explode. But we can't forget that the bombs were the primary intended weapon and, if they had gone off as planned, the death toll would likely have been in the hundreds.

How do we harden our schools against bombs? It can't happen when the "We have to do something" crowd is maniacally focused on guns.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:54:19 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2012, 12:00:30 PM »
How do we harden our schools against bombs? It can't happen when the "We have to do something" crowd is maniacally focused on guns.

The 'banning guns' position is the position of idiot collective.
Idiots who don't realize that with a bit of knowledge, an individual can create something far more destructive and deadly from materials sold at the local hardware store.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #166 on: December 19, 2012, 12:21:09 PM »
Here's a survivor interview that shows us the crux of the issue: http://video.foxnews.com/v/2044270701001/

So the school had a "security" plan. Front doors locked at 9:30 -- gunman shoots out GLASS sidelight and opens door. So much for that.

Stage 2: Lock down the classrooms. Oops -- the teachers don't have the keys to lock their own doors. That's a point I have been making to school boards and architects for at least ten years, but they haven't yet listened. These "security" plans are just a microcosmic version of our entire TSA and Homeland Security system. It's all about providing the appearance of security, without having any real understanding that the show-and-tell stuff they're doing has essentially zero chance of accomplishing anything in a real world situation.

How the hell can you set up a lock-down plan that doesn't include giving the teachers the keys to the doors?  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:28:17 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »
The President was on the TeeVee while I was at the gym.
They are plainly planning to go after private sales, all sales of "military style assault weapons", and all sales of high cap mags.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2012, 01:00:27 PM »
The good news is that he put Biden in charge....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2012, 01:29:11 PM »
With the track record of the President 'going after the sales of military assault weapons' in his own cabinet, I'm not too worried yet.

Barack Obama

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #170 on: December 19, 2012, 03:16:25 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #171 on: December 19, 2012, 03:33:33 PM »
When there were three dozen homicides in Chicago not that long ago over one weekend we didn't hear anything.  But this causes national hysteria.

Will anybody in the media ask why so many middle-class people are buying AR-15s?  Who exactly are they afraid of? And are they all crazy?

There are now two classes of Americans: the bodyguard class and the rest of us.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #172 on: December 19, 2012, 03:52:50 PM »
When there were three dozen homicides in Chicago not that long ago over one weekend we didn't hear anything.  But this causes national hysteria.

Will anybody in the media ask why so many middle-class people are buying AR-15s?  Who exactly are they afraid of? And are they all crazy?

There are now two classes of Americans: the bodyguard class and the rest of us.

One could question the 30,000 or so innocents that were killed through abortions in the last week also...

If the left want to be intellectually honest <insert laugh track> they would need to address that first.

Barack Obama

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #173 on: December 19, 2012, 04:42:21 PM »
First, let's keep our eyes on target...RKBA, and not get caught up in a broad spectrum political debate...

Second, I didn't see the speech (darn it).  Did it sound like he was speaking of going after the future sales of such items, or a ban on current possession/confiscation?  Not that I like the first option, but it would be a lot easier poison pill to swallow than the second...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #174 on: December 19, 2012, 04:47:01 PM »
First, let's keep our eyes on target...RKBA, and not get caught up in a broad spectrum political debate...

Second, I didn't see the speech (darn it).  Did it sound like he was speaking of going after the future sales of such items, or a ban on current possession/confiscation?  Not that I like the first option, but it would be a lot easier poison pill to swallow than the second...

He said he supported an AWB and a ban on "high capacity clips."  He didn't go into any specifics.  Presumably, this is what Biden is supposed to deliver in January.  
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.