Author Topic: can you  (Read 844 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
can you
« on: December 16, 2012, 06:54:56 PM »
voluntarily register your guns with atf? :facepalm:
got a guy telling me he does it.  hes known for being factually challenged. is it possible?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: can you
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 07:01:14 PM »
Dunno. Never heard of it. Given that I believe there is a Federal law prohibiting Federal agencies from maintaing a registry of firearms ownership, I rather doubt it. Why would the BATFE (or any agency, at any level) bother to set up and maintain a "registry" that includes only items voluntarily submitted by the owners?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 07:07:06 PM »
Maybe he thinks filling out a 4473 upon purchase is "voluntary registration." Past that I got nothin.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 07:08:22 PM »
I got nothin here.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 07:09:39 PM »
I've had a number of people claim they register their weapons with the PD, but never heard the claim with ATF
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 07:18:19 PM »
yea i pressed him its the 4473  he claims he filled em out on private sales
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:20:41 PM »

That is possible, though why anyone would want to do that is beyond me. Technically, if you really, really want to, you can go to an FFL for a private sale and they do a transfer as though it was coming from out of state.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 07:21:06 PM »

In a state that allows F2F?  Um...can you even do that?  I mean, as a non-FFL?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 07:27:30 PM »
In a state that allows F2F?  Um...can you even do that?  I mean, as a non-FFL?
I believe you can if you go to an FFL and have the purchaser fill out the 4473 and have the FFL call it in.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »
Here in Connecticut the state-level form is the same for dealers as it is for private sales.  I don't see a 4473 factoring in anywhere.  I don't have a lot of love for most of the firearms laws here, but the Department of Public Safety here is very easy to work with.  All you do is call them for an authorization number, they do an instant check on the two parties right there on the phone, and you get your number.

They're also very polite, knowledgeable, and (gasp) return phone calls the same day if you need to leave a message.  I also once went down there for a new photo and didn't think my Benchmade folder would be a problem, since it's legal on the street.  The State Trooper at the access control point told me I needed to put it back in my car.  It seems like in some places they'd have you prone on the ground and in jail in five minutes for the same thing.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 07:49:46 PM »
As far as I know ATF will ship the forms to anyone who asks for them so the guy may have simply filled out the form and shoved it in a filing cabinet someplace, or as others have suggested, gone trough an FFL. Who knows.
Look, tiny text!

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 08:40:15 PM »

Then does what? Stick them in a filing cabinet? 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »
... The State Trooper at the access control point told me I needed to put it back in my car.  It seems like in some places they'd have you prone on the ground and in jail in five minutes for the same thing.

Arapahoe County Sheriff's office has a bunch of little free to use lock boxes just before the metal detector. Tossed my pocket knife in one, took the key, did my business, got the pocketknife back out when leaving. Guy manning the desk doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

Contrast this to an Aurora city cop who I had to tell, twice, "the state of Colorado has no such thing as weapon registration" (actual phrase verbatim) during a traffic stop after he disarmed me of my CCW pistol and kept asking if I had it "properly registered." I should add that not only is there no such thing in this state, the state has expressly forbidden any sort of gun registration: CRS 29-11.7-102

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »
Well, officer, the magazine was registered (seated properly) when I loaded it!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!