Author Topic: Workers Comp for Sex Injury While on the Job  (Read 2037 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Workers Comp for Sex Injury While on the Job
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:25:46 AM »
Australian government worker gets workers comp for sex injury while on work travel. One wonders how the "light fixture was torn from the ceiling"...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/17/australian-woman-gets-worker-compensation-benefits-for-injury-during-sex-on/?test=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Workers Comp for Sex Injury While on the Job
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »
I've been screwed at work but not quite the same way.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »
I think I'm in the wrong line of work...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »
I read the original article at the link, and I liked the decision of the Court.  The Court said essentially that the sex was irrelevant, and that if she had been injured playing cards in the hotel room on a work trip, that would have been covered.  So this injury should be covered as well.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 01:12:06 PM »
I read the original article at the link, and I liked the decision of the Court.  The Court said essentially that the sex was irrelevant, and that if she had been injured playing cards in the hotel room on a work trip, that would have been covered.  So this injury should be covered as well.

however, would that line of thinking hold true if she were ballancing on the veranda railing and fell?  it seems to me her actions must be somewhat reasonable to warrent compensation.  (and i'm not saying sex isn't a reasonable activity, but maybe you shouldn't be hanging onto a light fixture while doing it)
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 01:20:39 PM »
If you're not hanging from a light fixture, yur doin it wrung.

;) :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 02:57:05 PM »
I heard that with my work also.  If you get in a car wreck or whatever on business travel, it is a work related injury.  For something like this, I am not sure if I would be employed long afterward.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 03:24:50 PM »
I heard that with my work also.  If you get in a car wreck or whatever on business travel, it is a work related injury.  For something like this, I am not sure if I would be employed long afterward.

From the article:

During the sex, a glass light fitting was torn from its mount above the bed and landed on her face, injuring her nose and mouth. She later suffered depression and was unable to continue working for the government.

Her claim for workers' compensation for her physical and psychological injuries was initially approved by government insurer Comcare, then rejected after further investigation.

"Torn from its mount... and landed on her face."  All of about 3-4 feet at the most, given the reach of most human appendages while engaged in animated coitus.

I find the notion that she was "injured" to be humorous.  It doesn't say "lacerating her with bits of broken glass," and it doesn't say "broke her nose," and it doesn't say "dislodged three teeth."  Sounds like she got a bloody nose or a cut lip from the fixture hitting her face, and it was a superficial issue.

I'd fire an employee that made a worker's comp claim like that.  For something as stupid as a bloody nose or a bruise.  You bet.

There's a huge difference between filing a health insurance claim, and filing a worker's comp claim.

If you're on your own time on a business trip, and crack your head open while diving in the hotel swimming pool, I absolutely want you in the ER and getting taken care of on your health insurance.  But it ain't worker's comp.  You're not in your office or assigned place of business duties.  You're not on my time, unless you're entertaining clients while you're at the pool.

I guess if she was "entertaining a client" while she hurt herself, it could be worker's comp.  But then I'd fire her for being a whore.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 04:04:22 PM »
The depression claimed to be stemming from this incident seems silly. "Oh noes, I bonked my head and now I'm too depressed to work!"  ;/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 06:32:07 PM »
The depression claimed to be stemming from this incident seems silly. "Oh noes, I bonked my head and now I'm too depressed to work!"  ;/

Yeah, it was actually related to serious facial injuries from the lamp, which was faulty.

Sorry, if your employer sends you travelling and determines which hotels you'll stay in, you are on a work trip. 

AZred, you can't fire people here for exercising their rights to compensation or any other workplace rights they have.  People in this country insist on fairness between employers and employees. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 07:39:35 PM »
Where else you gonna anchor a sex sling in a hotel room ?   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 08:28:38 PM »
Yeah, it was actually related to serious facial injuries from the lamp, which was faulty.

Sorry, if your employer sends you travelling and determines which hotels you'll stay in, you are on a work trip. 

AZred, you can't fire people here for exercising their rights to compensation or any other workplace rights they have.  People in this country insist on fairness between employers and employees.

So you find hanging a sex swing from the light fixture on a work trip to be a reasonable thing a reasonable person would do?
Iirc sex swings come with mounting instructions.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 08:55:22 PM »

Lolwut? A light fixture is faulty if it won't support body weight? And that is somehow the employer's responsibility to take care of when the inevitable happens just because said employee was traveling on a business trip and off duty in a hotel room?

What the hell???!!!???
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 08:57:29 PM »
So you find hanging a sex swing from the light fixture on a work trip to be a reasonable thing a reasonable person would do?
Iirc sex swings come with mounting instructions.

Who said she was hanging from it?

The question of whether her behaviour was reasonable was addressed by all courts that looked at it  and they all held that she wasn't responsible for causing herself the injury.  The question is whether her work insurer would cover it, or if she'd have to look elsewhere for compensation.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 08:59:37 PM »
Lolwut? A light fixture is faulty if it won't support body weight? And that is somehow the employer's responsibility to take care of when the inevitable happens just because said employee was traveling on a business trip and off duty in a hotel room?

What the hell???!!!???

They weren't hanging from it.  This btw is an old case:http://www.theage.com.au/national/work-trip-sex-like-going-to-the-gym-20110728-1i0xk.html

Dunning-Kruger

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 06:51:48 AM »
Hmm.  My inaugural post in this fine establishment: Imagine the damages had she contracted HIV or become pregnant ... .  Fairness has its price.  Is it true that a new pair of Levis cost about $150 there? ($40 here). What would it cost me to buy a burger and a beer at an average restaurant, $50 or so? ($15 here, with fries). And I guess buying 1,000 rounds of 5.56 NATO by mail order is just not possible? (about $445 plus freight on Nov. 8, up to $690 on 12-14). G'day mates.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 07:48:52 AM »
I really want to read this woman's job description....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 08:33:25 AM »
They weren't hanging from it.  This btw is an old case:http://www.theage.com.au/national/work-trip-sex-like-going-to-the-gym-20110728-1i0xk.html

That link is still thin on details.  Was it a lamp or chandelier?

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 08:52:52 AM »
The closest thing I can think of in America is this, though there wasn't an injury, just damage to hotel property during 'work time':
(shameless shaming of BATFE on my part)

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/02/robert-farago/atf-glory-hole-agent-still-drawing-pay-pension-benefits/
http://www.coachisright.com/the-atf-where-perversion-means-promotion/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 08:57:29 AM »
Generally, I think my company covers injuries during travel as work related or at least covered by the company more as a liability issue as much as anything else.  I don't disagree with that in general.  However, if were the company I would question the claim if there were no significant injuries. 

Just a year or two ago, we had an engineer get in a car wreck while on a trip.  He only had soft tissue damage, but suffered a stroke soon after and is still having problems.  IMO, That is an injury.  He isn't depressed because he was talking on his cell phone, he had a stroke related to a car accident.  If there were no substantial injuries, it shouldn't be covered regardless of whether sex was involved or not. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »
I guarantee this was some sort of missionary variant position where the woman's on the bed and the man is on top of her, but holding onto the top of the headboard or this "defective" lamp.  Woman's not on top, or else the lamp wouldn't have hit her during the fall.

Lamp came crashing down during the activity.

You want to call it a "workplace injury?"  Fine.  I want to call it assault.  Your guest threw a lamp at your head.  I'm going to charge him for assaulting one of my employees, and damaging property on the work site.

Hmm.  My inaugural post in this fine establishment: Imagine the damages had she contracted HIV or become pregnant ... .

EXCELLENT point.

How is the employer responsible for this?  This case is a gateway for STD liability being covered by worker's comp, or abortions being paid for by employers through worker's comp, or a myriad of other things.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 10:16:49 AM »
I guarantee this was some sort of missionary variant position where the woman's on the bed and the man is on top of her, but holding onto the top of the headboard or this "defective" lamp.  Woman's not on top, or else the lamp wouldn't have hit her during the fall.

Lamp came crashing down during the activity.

You want to call it a "workplace injury?"  Fine.  I want to call it assault.  Your guest threw a lamp at your head.  I'm going to charge him for assaulting one of my employees, and damaging property on the work site.

EXCELLENT point.

How is the employer responsible for this?  This case is a gateway for STD liability being covered by worker's comp, or abortions being paid for by employers through worker's comp, or a myriad of other things.

Yep not only is this stupid beyond belief it opens up the gateway to more idiocy.

Again, an attempt to shirk personal responsibility...sometimes it is the special snowflakes fault that bad things happen to them
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!