Author Topic: New Frontier polymer lowers?  (Read 1737 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
New Frontier polymer lowers?
« on: December 18, 2012, 01:08:26 PM »
Local shop has a complete lower. It's priced a bit high, but then again, so is everything right now. Supply/demand etc.

Anyways, it felt nice and looked well put together. Anyone have any experience with polymer lowers? Supposedly, the chief complaint is from folks who removed the rear takedown pin without supporting the upper, and the upper swings down and stresses the lower.

Thoughts?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: New Frontier polymer lowers?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 01:09:31 PM »
The opinion when I asked about them was good for a dedicated .22 platform, but they make people feel icky for a real AR build.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »
The opinion when I asked about them was good for a dedicated .22 platform, but they make people feel icky for a real AR build.

Yeah, i can understand that. On the other hand, I've used plenty of .45 and 10mm polymer pistols, so i'm not sure if those concerns are founded.

I could always replace the fire control parts with metal stuff i guess...

Anyone else have one?

I'm not decided on it, but I'm reading some favorable impressions online. I will not abuse this rifle i don't think
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 01:13:26 PM »
Not even for a .22 IMHO.

The only way a poly lower is going to last and be worth a damn is in the CavArms style.

For $109, go with a proven AL lower.

It's not fire control parts, it's all in the lower design. Comparing it to a poly framed pistol is not a valid comparison, because those are built from the ground up and engineered to work properly.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 01:14:26 PM »
Not even for a .22 IMHO.

The only way a poly lower is going to last and be worth a damn is in the CavArms style.

For $109, go with a proven AL lower.

It's not fire control parts, it's all in the lower design. Comparing it to a poly framed pistol is not a valid comparison, because those are built from the ground up and engineered to work properly.

Fair enough. I'll go ahead and pass then
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 01:16:56 PM »
What someone needs to do for poly lowers is to take the CavArms style and produce it. That was properly reinforced and the design was done right. The main downside was lack of adjustable stock but I'm sure there is a way around that.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 01:17:35 PM »
What someone needs to do for poly lowers is to take the CavArms style and produce it. That was properly reinforced and the design was done right. The main downside was lack of adjustable stock but I'm sure there is a way around that.

Another person i know has a cav arms poly lower they're selling. wants 200.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 01:27:56 PM »
Yep, Cav Arms was the only one worth a damn, and they're out of business and in deep doo, doo with the feds.

Seems they had out of house sub-contractors actually doing too much of the plastic molding and actually "making" the receivers, rather than Cav Arms themselves. They were actually given a chance to change, but kept on doing it and got busted. Along with other violations and irregularities.

Well, the Bushmaster carbon lowers.. They may be ok, I haven't heard tons of bad about them, but I'm unsure if they're even available.
I promise not to duck.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
calling another local shop now who claims to have rock river lowers (stripped and complete)
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 01:47:11 PM »
Don't forget about superior arms, they make a nice stripped lower.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »
Local shop has a complete lower. It's priced a bit high, but then again, so is everything right now. Supply/demand etc.

Anyways, it felt nice and looked well put together. Anyone have any experience with polymer lowers? Supposedly, the chief complaint is from folks who removed the rear takedown pin without supporting the upper, and the upper swings down and stresses the lower.

Thoughts?

Do they warranty breakage on that lower hinge point?  If not, is it reinforced with metal?  I recall that was an issue with the AR-180B -- plastic receiver and Armalite would not warranty it if it broke at that point.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 02:02:10 PM »
Do they warranty breakage on that lower hinge point?  If not, is it reinforced with metal?  I recall that was an issue with the AR-180B -- plastic receiver and Armalite would not warranty it if it broke at that point.

Supposedly this was employees of the Plum crazy company who left and formed a new company. Supposedly they will warranty it. Supposedly they also used a better polymer compound and reinforced that area.

Supposedly :-S

I'm tempted to take a gamble on it. I'm seeing some "tentatively positive" posts on the interwebz about it. Arfcom is useless... anything not high dollar , they poo poo on.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 03:26:14 PM »
I'm going to talk to this shop again and take a closer look... Interwebs has them for 109.00 but everywhere is out of stock. These guys want 199 for the complete lower.

From what I can tell, very few actual owners have complaints. Most of the poo poo is from purists.

Some of the internet places with other lowers in stock actually DONT have in stock. It's all very frustrating.

I think i might take a chance on this lower.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 03:30:24 PM »
These people apparently make CavArms lowers now:
http://www.gwacsarmory.com/cav-15-mkii.html

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 03:46:01 PM »
Yeah, people like the Cav Arms one.

I think i'm gonna just go for it. their price is high. I'll tell em to meet me halfway to the internet price. Worst case, i'm out 150 bucks. I'll borrow a friend's upper and give it a good shakedown and see how she is.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 03:56:56 PM »
Yep, Cav Arms was the only one worth a damn, and they're out of business and in deep doo, doo with the feds.

Seems they had out of house sub-contractors actually doing too much of the plastic molding and actually "making" the receivers, rather than Cav Arms themselves. They were actually given a chance to change, but kept on doing it and got busted. Along with other violations and irregularities.

Well, the Bushmaster carbon lowers.. They may be ok, I haven't heard tons of bad about them, but I'm unsure if they're even available.

Cav's receivers (I used to own one) were a two-piece assembly, a left and a right half.  They'd subcontract out manufacture of the halves to a plastics outfit here in PHX, then seam the two halves together in their facility.

ATF decided that the contractor having both molds at the same time (left and right) was essentially "constructive possession" since someone could just epoxy together two halves and make a gun.  Or, just hold them together really tight and then slap an upper through the pin holes and the upper would hold it together, more or less.

So, they told Cav to only let the manufacturer only make one half at a time, or split manufacturing to multiple vendors (left only, right only).

I guess Cav didn't follow through on that.

However, I still love this picture from the "raid!11!zomg!eleventy!" on Cav when the ATF decided to finally shut them down:

To the OP:  Meh on the Plum Crazy and similar style polymer lowers.  Yeah, it's $90 or so for a complete lower with parts... but it's only another $75 or $100 to get a proper aluminum one with better parts.  The LPK trigger/hammer/etc are plastic in these things, too.  Yucktastic.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 04:38:10 PM »
Update.

I'm going to take a shot. A local smith/class III dealer/ precision big bolt builder says that they've done some serious shooting on these with no issues.

Worst case scenario, it's an inexpensive mistake.

Yeah, i get ya on the aluminum lowers, but absolutely nowhere seems to have them. I ordered from a few places only to receive "out of stock" emails and luckily they didn't charge it. Local shops are fresh out.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 05:11:50 PM »
Update.

I'm going to take a shot. A local smith/class III dealer/ precision big bolt builder says that they've done some serious shooting on these with no issues.

Worst case scenario, it's an inexpensive mistake.

Yeah, i get ya on the aluminum lowers, but absolutely nowhere seems to have them. I ordered from a few places only to receive "out of stock" emails and luckily they didn't charge it. Local shops are fresh out.

$199 for lower plus LPK cost is a bit high, but not outrageous, IMO. Please share follow up.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »
I bought it, pics to follow
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 07:30:54 PM »
Geez, I feel like fricking king Midas for my pair of $59 Surplus Arms lowers I bought in person at Midwest Industries this summer.    =|

And no not for sale.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
Geez, I feel like fricking king Midas for my pair of $59 Surplus Arms lowers I bought in person at Midwest Industries this summer.    =|

And no not for sale.

Lol

I snagged an SAA lower for sixty something a few months ago, and then a pair of sequential SN palmetto state lowers (blemished) quite recently for $60 something.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Careful with the Palmetto State stuff.  A buddy of bought an upper from them.  Jam-O-Matic, POS.  Constant double feed and extraction problems.  Piss poor Customer service, sent to them twice, sent back to him with "No problem", still a Jam-O-Matic with any and all types of ammo.   Finally takes it to a local smith who does some measurements and turns out the Chamber is not spec.  (Too small).  Again contacts PSA.  Not their problem, sucks to be you.

Finally sells it at a gun show (with full disclosure), to a guy that's a smith who's going to ream out the chamber, for $25 less then he paid for it.

He's posted on ARFCOM about his experience.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 09:52:41 PM »
Thanks for the heads up

Also looking at dpms oracle

Or even a m&p sport
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 11:58:35 PM »
I've had an oracle upper for a few years and it has been 100% with factory ammo and I've only had one problem with my reloads and I think I caused that.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 01:38:27 AM »
Someone had asked me to find a relatively cheap ar15 for him today so I went looking around. Came across the New Frontier polymer lowers. Did a bit of research on them and everything I've read says they are really good.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic