Author Topic: I got my first motorcycle, but it needs help.  (Read 1029 times)

mgdavis

• friend
I got my first motorcycle, but it needs help.
« on: July 11, 2006, 01:59:06 PM »
As the title says, I just got my first bike. It's a '79 Honda CB750K LTD. That's the 10th anniversary edition. It's been garaged all or most of its life, and the paint and chrome are in pretty good shape, with a few scratches and a small dent in the tank from being dropped on its left side at some point.
Here's my problem: it hasn't been run in 5 years. The floats seem to be frozen in the carbs. I was told that when the petcock was set to run, fuel flowed out the carbs.
Now for my question: rebuild; or remove, douse with carb cleaner, and reinstall.
The shops around here are in the middle of summer rush, and don't want to touch it. The Honda dealer wants LOTS of money. I'm mechanically inclined, but would like to avoid a rebuild if I can. Would carb cleaner until the floats move be a feasible way to get things going?

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 02:30:04 PM »
Teh floats are stuck.
really, most motorcycle carbs are pretty simple, the biggest bitch is getting them re-syched.  you will need a tool for that.  (mercury tube, whichever).

Honda makes AWESOME albeit overpriced shop manuals.  You might be able to find one on ebay.  Get one, and you'll see how easy it is to take the carbs down.  a little lube in the intake manifolds make them go together way easier.

watch the gas tank, tanks that have been sitting for a long time rust out, you'll need Kreem.

The local shop will have a mercury balancer, Kreem, the shop manual, etc.  I'm sure there is a group of motorcycle nuts around you, they'll be glad ot help.  People love to help work on bikes.

Also, adjust the valves BEFORE you synch the carbs.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 11:57:00 PM »
You can probably get away with just cleaning the carbs. You will know for sure once you get into them anyways. The tank is probably all messed up, +1 on the Kreem advice.

Once you clean the carbs and the tank and you get the thing running it might be worth it to have your local shop do the balancing and valves. They arent outrageously difficult jobs, but they require some fairly expensive tools that dont have a lot of applications, and the shop shouldnt charge you too much to do it for you. If you find some local bike nuts they will probably loan them to you (not to mention showing you what to do with them).

If i were you, i would start with the most simple solution first, clean the carbs on the bike and put in some fresh gas and see if it works, you might be suprised. The hardest lesson I have learned with old/wornout/high mileage bikes is that there will *always* be something on the list that needs to be fixed. Spending more time than you have to working on something that isnt broken will make it all the more frustrating when something else goes wrong.

It should go without saying that you absolutely must make sure that the chain, sprockets, bearings, brakes, and tires are in good running order before you ride it. Take a good close look at the tires, old tires might look good with deep treads, but if they have gone hard with age they can slip like crazy. Those things are the 1st priority on a bike because they can get you hurt pretty damn quick.

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 02:44:07 AM »
The gunk that has the floats stuck is why the gas flows through.  But the floats are not all of you problems.  The jets will be plugged too.  All these things are accessable by removing the float bowls.  If you no one has fiddled with the individual idle adjustments, you may well get lucky and have decent syncronazation (SP?) after everything is cleaned.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 11:18:09 AM »
My dad's got an ancient Honda CB175 that's just a bit older than I am with only 3000 miles on it. Other than the tires, the cable sleeves, and pinhead rust on the crhome it's in good shape too. It just needs a major cleaning and tuning.

Every decade or so he'd get the urge to get it running again, get it fixed up, and take it for a couple of spins.  But now it's sat for about 16 years, and is probably quite gunked up.

It will be my project someday. And with the price of gas it gets more tempting every day. I work at a company very near HD's headquarters in Milwaukee, and several guys at work are bike riders. The old little 175 would give them a laugh...
I promise not to duck.

41 Redhawk

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 09:22:21 AM »
Yamaha sells a great carb cleaner. The directions say to mix it with water. We had better results mixing it with gas. Soaking the bowls and jets for at least a day really helps out. We used to remove the bowls and jet, put the jets in the bowl, prop them up and fill them with the cleaner mix. Contact Cleaner and fine wires were used to clean out all the orfices. If you have a friend that plays the guitar, the strings make great wire and are in different sizes. Also, be sure to clean out the enrichening circuts There is one in each float bowl.

mgdavis

• friend
Re: I got my first motorcycle, but it needs help.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 05:31:43 PM »
Well, here's an update if anybody care/remembers this thread. I rebuilt the carbs and the bike runs now. I've put six or seven hundred miles on it commuting to work and scooting around town. It cleaned up real nice. Thanks for the guidence I got here.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/mgdavis/DSCN1305.jpg

Preacherman

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 10:09:23 PM »
Nice!  Looks like it's in very good condition for its age.  Wish I could find one that good.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 02:46:15 AM »
You have a great bike!
your really lucky there!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 07:43:11 AM »
Great looking ride.

I dig the "vintage look" of bikes from the late 1970's and early 1980's, and 750+cc bikes of that era had plenty of "scoot."

Outstanding.
Zeke

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 05:12:57 AM »
Great looking ride.

I dig the "vintage look" of bikes from the late 1970's and early 1980's, and 750+cc bikes of that era had plenty of "scoot."

Outstanding.
I agree about the late 70's bikes - those 4 cylinder motors ran great, way better than the 2 cylinder harley clones they make now. After giving up my Suzuki GS800 I finally broke down and bought a Honda 750 Shadow Aero - wrongly assuming that it would be just as good on the highway as the 4 Cylinder Hondas, Suzukis, Kawasaki's and 3 Cyl Yamaha I'd previously owned. WRONG! 2 cylinder V-twins SUCK! But when your only choice is that or a crotch rocket what is a rider to do? <sigh>..

I curse the marketing weenies that decided that all of us bike riders only wanted harley clones or crotch rockets! May an elephant stomp their toes and the blue bird of misery fly up their nose!
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Hazzard

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 03:12:36 PM »
Deleted because I should have read the rest of the thread before posting. (dang, this was my first post on APS too...)