Author Topic: Questions About Moving to a More Rural Area  (Read 2976 times)

tokugawa

• friend
Re: Questions About Moving to a More Rural Area
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 01:38:48 AM »
I grew up in and have always lived in a rural area.

About the fitting in to a community...personally I don't care who you are if you move to my area, so long as you leave me alone for the most part (other than friendly conversation). Keep the noise down, don't wantonly cross onto my property, and just in general keep to yourself and we will get along famously. Got a neighbor like that now and it's good...we keep to ourselves and are fairly happy. You may not "fit in" but do you really give a rat's ass if you aren't a social butterfly?

Second, rural living is not all it's cracked up to be sometimes. There is still crime, sometimes fairly significant crime, and you may have issues with other folk thinking that your land also belongs to them so that they can hunt/ride ATVs on anytime they want. So you will still have to deal with idiots who do not have any concept of respecting personal property. This stuff can get really annoying as hell sometimes.

Personally I advise living far enough out of town that you are away from town life but close enough that it isn't an ardous journey to get to town to get what you need, because you will need to get to town to get what you need when you don't really want to go. A solid hour drive from the city may seem like isolated heaven, until that time you really, really need to get to town at 11:30pm at night and you spend a long ass time going to and from town. At my home, I live 15 mins from a decent size town and an hour to an hour and a half from big cities, yet I'm far enough out that I have 1 neighbor so it's nice country living. Best balance of both. I used to live 45 mins from town and that was aggravating.

When you balance everything out right it's nice living in the country.

this is good sense.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 01:43:19 AM »
George,

It's nice to see that you're still not mad that I came down there and taught lupinus, Jocasse and you to wear shoes, brush your teeth, and get the broken down cars and appliances out of your front yard.   Glad I could help.

(Also nice to see that you're off that G-dforsaken mountain.  With the lesbian.  In South Carolina.  BTW how did your stalker react to the move?   Do PM me your address, I need to send you your MHI books.) 

I haven't heard nor seen the stalker lately, thank God.

Don't send the MHI books back to me, just gift them forward to someone else who hasn't read them!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 09:02:57 AM »
rural living is not all it's cracked up to be sometimes. There is still crime, sometimes fairly significant crime, and you may have issues with other folk thinking that your land also belongs to them so that they can hunt/ride ATVs on anytime they want. So you will still have to deal with idiots who do not have any concept of respecting personal property. This stuff can get really annoying as hell sometimes.

Biggest issue that I've found is the "townies" that seem to think that anywhere outside city limits is national forest or something and that they can just go where ever they want and do what ever they want without even asking  :facepalm:

We've got friendly mutual agreements with our nearby neighbors that we can all hike or ride horses on each others' land.  This works well for us as we are 1/4 mile from a multi-thousand acre cattle ranch where we also have permission to hike and ride.  We can get there via the county road but it's nice to cut across the back side of our neighbors' places instead.  But you don't go traipsing through anybody's "yard" unless you are there to see them.

As far as fitting in, I joined the local volunteer fire department right after moving out here in the hills.  Just about everybody was glad to see us move into the area as the previous owner of our place was a psychotic bitch.  Except it turned out the nearest neighbor was nest of criminals, but he finally got sent to prison and sold the place and the current owner lives out of state.  I did have to run off quite a few of his old buddies who apparently thought that they could just come up here and squat.

We are about 40 minutes from the county seat with limited shopping and a little over an hour to the biggest city in the state.  You get used to it, and generally make only 2 or 3 trips a month.

But we really weren't city people moving out here.  Previously we had lived in the mountains of Colorado and I had worked in the timber for many years, so we were used to driving an hour to any sort of town.  It had only been the last few years before we moved out here that we had got stuck in town for a while.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 10:01:31 AM »
i live in the country about 12 miles from a college.  love it. been here 18 years never even had keys to my house. once my wife forgives/forgets me having a 19 yeaR old g/f when i worked at the college it will be perfect. 
i got to know a ton of folks by meeting a couple "old families" who spread the word about me
i am also one of those folks who meets others easily
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 12:11:34 PM »
George,

It's nice to see that you're still not mad that I came down there and taught lupinus, Jocasse and you to wear shoes, brush your teeth, and get the broken down cars and appliances out of your front yard.   Glad I could help.

Dear Dave,

At least none of us backward rednecks have ever worn a clutch out trying to pull a camper up a 3000 ft incline with a Saab.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
Live next to a college town (UVA, so big college town)

People move out to the county from the city, get in an uproar because dogs run lose, gunshots can be heard coming from all directions and bad weather can mean f'ed up roads that don't get plowed for awhile.

It's not uncommen for them to move out here, bitch for two or three years and then move back to town. Unfortunatly, they are spreading and have been pushing out the old locals and rednecks for awhile now.

Regolith said it, and in some locations the native population is bitter enough about the BS of others to hold being a newcomer against you.
Be polite, and don't try to change the way things get done, and eventually, it will work out.
It can get similar to a certain Firefly quote in attitude, "Yes, she's a witch, but she's our witch..."
You'll still be an outsider, but you can become one of "their" outsiders. ;)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 12:14:24 PM »
Dear Dave,

At least none of us backward rednecks have ever worn a clutch out trying to pull a camper up a 3000 ft incline with a Saab.

You're just jelouse that you didn't think up hauling a camper with a sporty little car.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »
You're just jelouse that you didn't think up hauling a camper with a sporty little car.

I'm the only one professional enough on this forum to haul 4000 pounds of groceries and a heavily loaded 22' camper trailer over the Canadian Rockies on the scenic route  :facepalm:

When you have to use low range on pavement, it might be a clue that you are a bit overloaded.  That, and blowing out a brand new 8-ply tire in the Yukon.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »
I've spent more time in rural settings than urban settings, and more time in the South than the North, but enough in all to tell you that a rural area is far easier to settle in than a city. I disagree with Skid's statement that the deeper South you go, the more generations it takes to fit in. I'm not originally from Georgia, but that's overlooked because I've always been an active member of the community. Looking folks in the eye when you talk to them, not criticizing, not constantly talking about how things were where you came from, and observing their traditions before you just jump in with your own, goes a long way. If you're a people-person, you likely have the social skills to fit in most anywhere. You may not be a founding family, but you'll be able to get along alright.

Savannah is an odd mix of Old South, college town, and tourist destination. If you took away the college and the tourism, it would be a perfect place to live. The college, while it does add a certain level of culture, also adds a high degree of liberal influence (which I dislike, but that's just me) and the money to spread that influence. I've also found that tourism brings a level of distrust of outsiders that makes it harder to settle in if you're new to the area.

Things that are important to you are the things you need to weigh. Being near the water, the local political ideology, religious influence (for example, there are a number of areas in the South where Catholicism is highly suspect, but others where it's the driving influence), recreation (to include your dining preferences - Savannah's the only place in 100 miles with decent restaurants), climate (many folks come here but can't stand the heat and humidity in the summers), and facilities - hospitals and such. You can research most of that online, then go visit for a better feel for a place. But you'll never know any area until you move there.

Personally, I think the Southern Coastal region is the greatest place on earth, warts and all. :) Good luck in your search!

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe