Author Topic: Finches on Galapagos Islands are evolving  (Read 886 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Finches on Galapagos Islands are evolving
« on: July 13, 2006, 11:27:06 AM »
WASHINGTON - Finches on the        Galapagos Islands that inspired Charles Darwin to develop the concept of evolution are now helping confirm it  by evolving.

A medium sized species of Darwin's finch has evolved a smaller beak to take advantage of different seeds just two decades after the arrival of a larger rival for its original food source.

The altered beak size shows that species competing for food can undergo evolutionary change, said Peter Grant of Princeton University, lead author of the report appearing in Friday's issue of the journal Science.

Grant has been studying Darwin's finches for decades and previously recorded changes responding to a drought that altered what foods were available.

It's rare for scientists to be able to document changes in the appearance of an animal in response to competition. More often it is seen when something moves into a new habitat or the climate changes and it has to find new food or resources, explained Robert C. Fleischer, a geneticist at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History and National Zoo.

This was certainly a documented case of microevolution, added Fleischer, who was not part of Grant's research.

Grant studied the finches on the Galapagos island Daphne, where the medium ground finch, Geospiza fortis, faced no competition for food, eating both small and large seeds.

In 1982 a breeding population of large ground finches, Geospiza magnirostris, arrived on the island and began competing for the large seeds of the Tribulus plants. G. magnirostris was able to break open and eat these seeds three times faster than G. fortis, depleting the supply of these seeds.

In 2003 and 2004 little rain fell, further reducing the food supply. The result was high mortality among G. fortis with larger beaks, leaving a breeding population of small-beaked G. fortis that could eat the seeds from smaller plants and didn't have to compete with the larger G. magnirostris for large seeds.

That's a form of evolution known as character displacement, where natural selection produces an evolutionary change in the next generation, Grant explained in a recorded statement made available by Science.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 11:36:50 AM »
...or its diet-influenced changes in morphology.  Pray tell, have the genese involved in beak structure been identified, and changes in those genes confirmed?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 12:33:18 PM »
Microevolution isn't and hasn't been disputed.

Call me when the finch changes species.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 03:42:45 PM »
Microevolution isn't and hasn't been disputed.

Call me when the finch changes species.
+1. Microevolution is a documented fact of life. You can't say that about macroevolutionary theory.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 03:55:15 PM »
+1 (after five posts we've got a real stimulating, scientific discussion going here, don't we?)
Andy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 06:25:26 PM »
Hang on, the finches are due to become a different species in about 4 million years
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 07:41:07 PM »
It's not the strongest who survive, it's the ones most adaptable to change.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 08:43:22 AM »
Oooh wait!!!  Where's my Coke and popcorn.  This should be good.

Greg

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 10:24:38 AM »
Were small-beaked finches in the original population?  (Yes, there were.)

If there were, this is not "evolution," as the genetic material was already present & needed to undergo no mutation.

If we count this as "evolution," when the rains come back and some sort of die-off occurs among the large ground finch population, the come back of large-beaked finches in the native population will also be "evolution."  When, in reality, nothing has changed save the proportion of large vs small.

Very similar to the other classic "evidence" consisting of a moth population with both dark & light colored moths shifting proportion with the shifting pollution.

I'll buy "survival of the fittest" or "natural selection" from the data presented, but claiming evoultion is to steal a base.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton