Author Topic: Alabama guns in schools  (Read 1076 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Alabama guns in schools
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:12:23 PM »
There's been non-stop debate here in AL about allowing teachers to carry guns in schools. Several legislators have prepared bills, and school boards have been debating the issue.

A local talk show host pointed out that it's already legal under state law for teachers to carry. I'm not surprised, since it's legal for me to carry just about anywhere with my permit.

I wonder how long it will be before they change the law to give the legislature control over who can do what?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Alabama guns in schools
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 11:41:50 PM »
I think in 10 years or so, the states (if any) that liberalize carry in schools might have some interesting statistical variances from those that have tried to clamp down even further.

I promise not to duck.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:39:02 AM »
I wonder how long it will be before they change the law to give the legislature control over who can do what?
Help me out, Dick.  "They" being the legislature?  "who" being We the People?  Not clear here, sorry.  If you mean "how long before the state legislature attempts to assume the same nanny-state role some of our more enlightened coastal elites have", I'd say uh, never.  Alabama may be socially stunted and culturally deprived, but a) We're the BCS National Champions and b) don't take kindly to meddling by our "betters".

If the mayor of Birmingham, had attempted a Bloomberg-esque soft-drink ban, his house would have burned down, and his bodyguards would have roasted marshmallows.  If the Governor had come out ala Cuomo, ranting about confiscation, the lieutenant governor would have been sworn in within a week.  JMHO.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:43:17 AM »
Hutch, if you're right about the laws not getting changed, then I'm happy. It just seems like one of those discoveries that lead legislators to say, "we have to fix that."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:38:24 PM »
Interestingly, AL is the only Gulf state which still prohibits traveling with a handgun absent a permit.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 01:48:02 PM »
While it's legal to carry a gun in school with a permit, I would expect any teacher who did so would be fired if it came out...

We may need a law to force admin to accomodate them... and offering them free training would be a bonus.

I wish we had full time armed guards as well.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »
While it's legal to carry a gun in school with a permit, I would expect any teacher who did so would be fired if it came out...

We may need a law to force admin to accomodate them... and offering them free training would be a bonus.

I wish we had full time armed guards as well.

In OH our statewide NRA group is offering a 3 day training class to teachers, free for the first 24. http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8693
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 07:06:59 PM »
In TN:  A bill is reportedly going to be introduced to allow school administrators, teachers, etc. the option to carry.  The theory is that the school officer already stationed is a known quantity and if others are carrying, then a mass murdered would likely not know who they might encounter if the school officer is taken out.  Wouldn't you love to be an officer stationed in a school.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)