Author Topic: Germany wants its gold back.  (Read 11675 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Germany wants its gold back.
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 08:54:12 PM »
You can have my teeth when you pry them from my cold dead mouth.

jim

Careful.  Germany has some experience with that very thing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »
You can have my teeth when you pry them from my cold dead mouth mouf.

jim

FTFY    ;)
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 08:56:54 PM »
IIRC, During WWII the Germans continued send to Switzerland gold as payment for it's WWI reparations.  Guess were most of that gold came from.  Actually, no not the camps.  But from the looted vaults of the various central banks of countries they overran.   Yes, there was some from the those swallowed up by the Shoah, but some/most of that was was stolen/looted by the various Nazi functionaries before hitting the Reichsbank.  

And yes, Waitone is right, it used to be that if one country sold gold to another all they did was move it from one side of the vault to the other (or maybe just on paper even).  I suspect that someone somewhere found at least one fake bar with all the right markings and that has created a "Oh, Schiesse!!" moment.  

As if things aren't interesting enough...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »
On the 'Modern Marvels' episode on the gold reserve, they showed the staff at the NYC Federal Reserve (which holds more gold than Ft. Knox) rolling a cart of gold bars from one country's gold cage to another country's gold cage. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »
Here of late there has been a spat of nations demanding delivery of gold they have on account.  Used to be gold was moved amongst the various vaults controlled by the FED or various banks beholding to the FED.  The Chinese went on a gold buying binge and then announced it would be taking delivery of its gold and place it in vaults they were building in Hong Kong (IIRC).  Normally those taking delivery would simply place the bullion in its existing form in their vaults.  The Chinese went one step further to melt down and recast their bullion.  In essence the Chinese are conducting a 100% physical audit of its gold. . . . which suggests salted gold bullion is worse of a problem than is generally thought.

Perhaps they know its a problem because they are doing it?  I wouldn't put it past them.

Most salted bars are discovered due to:
1. weight variation, which can be easily detected
2. Ultrasound/eddy current or other NDE methods

Very rarely are they discovered through mass spec, so my wondering is why doesn't someone create an alloy or nano composite that looks like gold, has the same density as gold, can be made into a homogeneous bar, has enough electrical conductivity to exhibit nearly identical eddy current behavior, and has a comparable bulk modulus.  I mean, it can't be that difficult, given the potential profit.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 10:15:28 PM »
Everything I read says tungsten is the substitute of choice.  Evidently external testing is not conclusive.  The only fail proof technique is core drilling but the reduces the value of the bullion by a small amount.  What I think is driving the concern is banks loan gold reserves to each other which are then used to fatten balance sheets, etc.  The practice is so widespread is there is concern the practice of salting is been institutionalized.  China was the first to audit.  The US has huffed and puffed about auditing the FED a portion of which will be an audit of our gold reserves.  I think it reasonable for other countries to begin the process.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 11:37:07 PM »
My suspicion is that they are concerned that the gold will not be released if things go into the crapper and they want their's now.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2013, 08:54:27 PM »
My suspicion is that they are concerned that the gold will not be released if things go into the crapper and they want their's now.

That was my thought, too.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2013, 09:33:34 PM »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 12:59:36 AM »
I heard Glenn Beck this morning claiming we told the Germans it would take 7 YEARS to get them their gold.

I'm thinking they just need to hire Jeremy Irons to go get it for them.
Formerly sumpnz

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 04:02:38 AM »
There are mutterings that perhaps more gold has been traded between nations than actually exists. That'd be touchy.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2013, 06:20:03 AM »
There are mutterings that perhaps more gold has been traded between nations than actually exists. That'd be touchy.

That might leave a Mark.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2013, 06:22:59 AM »
Ooops...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
This is the stuff world wars are made of...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 08:53:37 AM »
This is the stuff world wars are made of...

No. Maybe "sparked by", but not made of.

What world wars are made of is aging, decaying empires losing their dominance and new empire seekers pushing them out a little bit sooner than their own collapse would have happened, leading to a massive war between multiple countries all with similar ideas of dominance.

(Anyone think that's not a good description of the situations in WWI and WWII? Austo-Hungarian empire in WWI and Britain in WWII?)

Oh, and look. What's the situation we find the world in now that the one superpower is going into self-inflictied decline!?

(Edit: stupid typos.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:48:03 AM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2013, 09:12:53 AM »
Perhaps they know its a problem because they are doing it?  I wouldn't put it past them.

Most salted bars are discovered due to:
1. weight variation, which can be easily detected
2. Ultrasound/eddy current or other NDE methods

Very rarely are they discovered through mass spec, so my wondering is why doesn't someone create an alloy or nano composite that looks like gold, has the same density as gold, can be made into a homogeneous bar, has enough electrical conductivity to exhibit nearly identical eddy current behavior, and has a comparable bulk modulus.  I mean, it can't be that difficult, given the potential profit.

Hey, look! An alchemist!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

birdman

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 10:16:21 AM »

...and true

HankB

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2013, 03:24:56 PM »
. . . why doesn't someone create an alloy or nano composite that looks like gold, has the same density as gold, can be made into a homogeneous bar, has enough electrical conductivity to exhibit nearly identical eddy current behavior, and has a comparable bulk modulus.  . . .
Maybe because it would cost upwards of $10,000 an ounce and be radioactive?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2013, 03:58:07 PM »
No. Maybe "sparked by", but not made of.

What world wars are made of is aging, decaying empires losing their dominance and new empire seekers pushing them out a little bit sooner than their own collapse would have happened, leading to a massive war between multiple countries all with similar ideas of dominance.

(Anyone think that's not a good description of the situations in WWI and WWII? Austo-Hungarian empire in WWI and Britain in WWII?)

Oh, and look. What's the situation we find the world in now that the one superpower is going into self-inflictied decline!?

(Edit: stupid typos.)

Hmm, interesting.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »
That might leave a Mark.

Poor RKL, waiting for someone to "See what he did there".
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 10:23:04 PM »
Well, they are on the Euro now. Some of the folks here hadn't even hit puberty when the Mark was replaced,
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2013, 11:10:53 PM »
Well, they are on the Euro now. Some of the folks here hadn't even hit puberty when the Mark was replaced,

I think I still have 10,000 Marks here. Maybe I should take it over to the courthouse and try to pay my tax bill with it.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2013, 01:35:10 AM »
I think I still have 10,000 Marks here. Maybe I should take it over to the courthouse and try to pay my tax bill with it.

jim

That would have been around $4-5,000 at the time they transitioned from the Mark to the Euro in 1999.   What were (and are) you doing sitting on $5k in DM?

(I  thought I was bad in that I have about DM400 in both paper and coinage that I brought back from Europe.  Plus another Ostmark150 in fun commie aluminum coins and a few banknotes.  IIRC, this is about $4.41 in real money.) 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »
As history has shown, when Germany has financial problems, France gets nervous.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
As history has shown, when Germany has financial problems, France gets nervous.....

The only German financial problems right now are caused by the rest of Europe, which should (but doesn't, which is actually shocking) REALLY worry Europe.