Author Topic: Germany wants its gold back.  (Read 11647 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Germany wants its gold back.
« on: January 15, 2013, 05:58:24 PM »
Summary: The German central bank, Bundesbanke, is physically moving its gold reserves from the US Fed bank and the French Fed bank back to Germany.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-14/it-begins-bundesbank-commence-repatriating-gold-new-york-fed

Can any of you more financially literate people elaborate on this? 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Germany wants its gold back.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »
I'm guessing this is an international response to our failure to audit the Fed's holdings.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »
Imagine this for a second - what if the gold isn't there anymore? :O [tinfoil]
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 06:33:14 PM »
Maybe they've heard about some future base closures. We've been sending our gold over there for a half century.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 08:39:56 PM »
The US.gov finally goes into the financial crapper.  Nothing more to lose at that point.  Might they start confiscating bullion holdings?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:47:39 PM »
Imagine this for a second - what if the gold isn't there anymore?
We don't have to imagine very hard for that to be a reality.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:31:43 PM »
The US.gov finally goes into the financial crapper.  Nothing more to lose at that point.  Might they start confiscating bullion holdings?

Na. It isn't that much in value compared to our financial issues. And it would cause a lot of problems
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:57:02 PM »
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/01/15/uk-germany-gdp-idUKBRE90E09R20130115?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews

I'm not sure why I'm linking the fact that Germany's economy just contracted. I'm sure it's purely coincidental.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 12:44:02 AM »
Na. It isn't that much in value compared to our financial issues. And it would cause a lot of problems

3,396 tons.

3,396 * 2000 (I assume) * 14.583 Troy ounces in a pound * $1,681/oz.

$166,499,244,216.  $166.5 billion give or take.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 01:53:20 AM »
$166 billion is what, couple weeks worth of spending for the fed.gov?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 05:26:07 AM »
And that's if we eat in every night and suspend family game night snacks.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 08:19:43 AM »
Paper holdings are turning to ****.

Current fiat money and banking debt system is at the end of it's rope. Those who hold the precious metals at the end will be kings.

My preciousssss...
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 09:20:05 AM »

I tried to give the answer off the top of my head, but the math was off. SOOO, having looked it up, our Federal government spends just over $10 Billion a day. So, yes, 16 days of spending. (and, as we are borrowing 40% of everything we spend, that's also about 40 days of borrowing.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
That's Germany's, I think the US is like 7700 tons.

In terms of personal ownership, lets say if they repeated what happened in the 30's (but this time, include non-bullion like set a limit on jewelry) lets say the -average- American owns 2oz of gold (adjusted for quality) and they set the limit at 1oz (ie, wedding/engagement/etc rings), and confiscate 1oz from everyone.  That's 300million Troy, or about 10,000 tons.

Add in the bullion, and its 510 million Troy oz, or about 750 billion. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 10:12:37 AM »
In terms of personal ownership, lets say if they repeated what happened in the 30's (but this time, include non-bullion like set a limit on jewelry)  . . .
I believe compliance today would be a fraction of what it was in the 1930s.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 10:21:16 AM »
That's Germany's, I think the US is like 7700 tons.

In terms of personal ownership, lets say if they repeated what happened in the 30's (but this time, include non-bullion like set a limit on jewelry) lets say the -average- American owns 2oz of gold (adjusted for quality) and they set the limit at 1oz (ie, wedding/engagement/etc rings), and confiscate 1oz from everyone.  That's 300million Troy, or about 10,000 tons.

Add in the bullion, and its 510 million Troy oz, or about 750 billion. 

WOW! Why, we'd have enough to cover the borrowing for almost 3/4 of one year!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 12:26:57 PM »
No honest citizen needs to own more than ten ounces of gold.  :)
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »
If .gov goes into the financial crapper, then some banks won't be far behind.  I guess I wouldn't want any of my precious metal stocks held by a bank with a mushy foundation.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 06:17:10 PM »
I read about this in Der Speigel a couple of months back.  Let me see if I can find it.

Here we go. http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-politicians-demand-to-see-gold-in-us-federal-reserve-a-864068.html

IIRC, One of the things that was in the German edition was that they suspected (or discovered) was that at least one of the gold bars that was weighed turned out to weigh as much as a bar of lead/zinc/tungsten and not gold. 

Not sure where that came from, but I do remember reading it somewhere (in German.)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 06:32:29 PM »
I read about this in Der Speigel a couple of months back.  Let me see if I can find it.

Here we go. http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-politicians-demand-to-see-gold-in-us-federal-reserve-a-864068.html

IIRC, One of the things that was in the German edition was that they suspected (or discovered) was that at least one of the gold bars that was weighed turned out to weigh as much as a bar of lead/zinc/tungsten and not gold. 

Not sure where that came from, but I do remember reading it somewhere (in German.)

Odd, the US has double the gold, but five times the GDP. 

US deficit (annual) is about 8% of GDP, German is <1%.

In other words, the Germans could finance several YEARS worth of their deficit with gold, while we would be able to finance less than a month.  Sad.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 06:46:41 PM »
I believe compliance today would be a fraction of what it was in the 1930s.

And I think we could get the Hip-Hop community on our side.   ;) 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 06:50:38 PM »
And I think we could get the Hip-Hop community on our side.   ;) 

You can have my teeth when you pry them from my cold dead mouth.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 07:38:30 PM »
Odd, the US has double the gold, but five times the GDP. 

US deficit (annual) is about 8% of GDP, German is <1%.

In other words, the Germans could finance several YEARS worth of their deficit with gold, while we would be able to finance less than a month.  Sad.

Assuming the mass liquidation of gold didn't depress the value.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 07:49:08 PM »
Assuming the mass liquidation of gold didn't depress the value.

It wouldn't have to be massive in their case, 100 tons a month wouldn't move it much.  In our case, it would likely depress the price quickly, though, likely not any more than 10-20% as other central banks (ie china) would easily be willing to trade dollars for gold at even a moderate discount.  Hell, they could sell treasuries for dollars, and buy gold, which wouldn't affect the yuan at all, and totally screw the dollar.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 08:41:36 PM »
Here of late there has been a spat of nations demanding delivery of gold they have on account.  Used to be gold was moved amongst the various vaults controlled by the FED or various banks beholding to the FED.  The Chinese went on a gold buying binge and then announced it would be taking delivery of its gold and place it in vaults they were building in Hong Kong (IIRC).  Normally those taking delivery would simply place the bullion in its existing form in their vaults.  The Chinese went one step further to melt down and recast their bullion.  In essence the Chinese are conducting a 100% physical audit of its gold. . . . which suggests salted gold bullion is worse of a problem than is generally thought.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon