Author Topic: NY gun and mag capacity ban applies to cops! Oops.  (Read 905 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
NY gun and mag capacity ban applies to cops! Oops.
« on: January 18, 2013, 11:31:59 AM »
http://nation.foxnews.com/gun-control/2013/01/17/rush-pass-bill-ny-forgets-exempt-police-gun-laws

Ha-ha!

I'm sure they're still carrying natural capacity magazines filled to the top, though.  Hypocrites.

They'll have an amendment in the next few days to fix the oversight, but I love the juicy irony of it.  Like a medium-rare ribeye.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

red headed stranger

• friend
Re: NY gun and mag capacity ban applies to cops! Oops.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
That's what happens when you shove big legislation though in a couple days.  Cuomo invoked whatever "emergency" provision exists in the NYS constitution to remove the 3-day public comment period.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/nyregion/tougher-gun-law-in-new-york.html

Mr. Cuomo, saying that gun violence constituted an emergency requiring immediate action, waived a constitutionally required three-day waiting period between the introduction of legislation and a vote to allow speedy action on the gun-law package.

His reasoning behind invoking the emergency rule was that more people would be running to gun stores and panic-buying guns during the 3-day period.   :facepalm:
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 12:05:16 PM »

His reasoning behind invoking the emergency rule was that more people would be running to gun stores and panic-buying guns during the 3-day period.   :facepalm:

he actually used the word "criminals" as to who would be buying the guns.  

under the new law we have a year to dispose of the high cap mags, but can we still use them?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:09:20 PM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

castle key

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 12:16:09 PM »
My HK P2000 I carry at work in DC is a machine gun per DC Code......Simply by capacity, not action.

That said, if that is how DC defines a machine gun, then all of you are wrong when you get "up in arms" about defining mode of action!!

Actually, it probably is an AK47!! At least according to the media guide to firearms.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:26:31 PM »
"Bu-bu-but our intention was to disarm the people, not the gubbermint!"  :P I mean how is a coercive state supposed to retain control over its subjects if both are equally armed.. right?

BTW excellent use of the nelson muntz caption  =)
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »
. . . They'll have an amendment in the next few days to fix the oversight . . .
They shouldn't; they ought to leave it in and call it the Amadou Diallo rule. (In 1999, four plainclothes NYPD officers unloaded 41 rounds on an innocent, unarmed man, getting 19 hits, and killing him where he stood.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 01:44:10 PM »
Cops should have to carry revolvers  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 01:55:46 PM »
Cops should have to carry revolvers  :P

Be careful what you wish for . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 02:10:24 PM »
Given their accuracy with standard slugthrowers, watching them lob grenades would be....interesting. :O
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch