Author Topic: New Member  (Read 18727 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: New Member
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »
But Hasselhoff did his before Marvel 'rebooted' Fury :-)  I'm not dissing Jackson's Fury -- they're, just, different guys.  You could *believe* Hasselhoff's *might* have come out of WWII :-)  Jackson is all kinds of awesome.

I loved Jackson's *expletive deleted*ing Fury ( AND THAT would be the awesome band name) but when Cap teamed up with some Howlers, I did have a pang of disapointment in the whole redo situation.

Furthermore, I'll take Jackson over the Hoff in ANY role.

The female of the species is more deadly than the male   ;)

And around here, we tend to be better armed as well ;)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2013, 03:02:48 PM »
If she is into SF, she has not yet answered a key question: Star Wars or Star Trek?  And her favorite SF author.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
Oh, we're an "assortment" all right.  :cool:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2013, 03:18:56 PM »
Has Kitteh-Dragon read the "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee - Tales from the Apocalypse" thread yet?  I think that should be a requirement for membership beyond a probationary period.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Kitteh-Dragon

« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »
Started on it.  It's pretty long :-)

Has Kitteh-Dragon read the "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee - Tales from the Apocalypse" thread yet?  I think that should be a requirement for membership beyond a probationary period.
Kitteh-Dragon

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2013, 03:39:37 PM »
Huh, she's not yet run screaming into the night.  Either she's got ovaries the size of a M1 Abrams, or she's made of some stern stuff......

Welcome to the nuthouse forum!
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »
I think the true measure is Firefly.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2013, 03:44:16 PM »
something I grew up on (older brothers.  **Much** older brothers :-) )

Oh, yeah - sure  ;/

:P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Kitteh-Dragon

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2013, 03:49:48 PM »
Oh, gosh.  Depends, there are so many permutations!

OK - I'm older than dirt.  I watched the first ep of Star Trek (OS) when it was broadcast, and have loved it ever since.  Next Gen is great.  Never got into Voyager.  DS9 sort of went off into la la land for me after a few years.  I enjoyed Enterprise (was a Quantum Leap fan, so Scott Bakula in a Star Trek thingy was a double win).  But it seemed to go weird there toward the last, too.

I also (see above, "Dirt: older than") saw the first ever Star Wars when it came out.  Enjoyed them immensely for what they were.  And love the music.  The later released 'installments'?  Not so much.  And Jar Jar Binks is an abomination to the Universe, IMHO ;-)

Do I *have* to have *one* favorite SF author?  ::whimper::  I mean, some of them are really good friends of mine!  You expect me to *choose*?!  Hmmm...

I enjoy MilSF.  And 'Space Opera'.  I will not tolerate dystopian defeatism.  So, in no particular order whatsoever:

Robert A Heinlein (in a class all his own.  Though I didn't go so far as Sarah A Hoyt a give birth to my first born son on his birthday and name him 'Robert Anson'! :-D But I might have if I'd have thought of it!!!)

Tom Kratman
Sarah A Hoyt
John Ringo
Andre Norton (only her early stuff.  After Witch World she went really, really woo woo and I am *very* picky about which of hers to read after that)
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Dave Freer
David Weber
David Drake
Terry Prachett
Keith Laumer
Jerry Pournelle
Philip K. Dick
Gordon R. Dickenson

And, in the interests of full disclosure - I *do* beta read for more than one of them who are still, thank God, among us and writing!  So, please, don't make me pick *one*! :-)

If she is into SF, she has not yet answered a key question: Star Wars or Star Trek?  And her favorite SF author.
Kitteh-Dragon

Kitteh-Dragon

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2013, 03:51:47 PM »
My hubby wanted to know what I was laughing out loud at.  I showed him.  Quoth the hubby, "Tell 'em "Try harder, guys"" :-D

Love this! :-D

Huh, she's not yet run screaming into the night.  Either she's got ovaries the size of a M1 Abrams, or she's made of some stern stuff......

Welcome to the nuthouse forum!
Kitteh-Dragon

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2013, 03:53:05 PM »
Dear Kitteh-Dragon:

We are approximately the same age, and I also remember seeing TOS, Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel, etc. on my parent's B&W TV.

We also share tastes in SF and authors.

Please stop by and marry me if you are ever in the Seattle area.  

Thank you.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2013, 03:57:01 PM »
Dear Kitteh-Dragon:

We are approximately the same age, and I also remember seeing TOS, Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel, etc. on my parent's B&W TV.

Thank you.

Now that's a bald proposal if I ever saw one  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »
Now that's a bald proposal if I ever saw one  =D

Now all I have to do is some sort of Vulcan mind meld on the current Ms. MillCreek so that she forgets Kitteh-Dragon's visits to the area.  :angel:

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »
Boys, control yourselves. Y'all act like you've never seen a real girl before and you don't want to scare this one off like you scared the last couple who dropped by.

Welcome K-D! I could use some 9mm and any old lager (because I'm NOT a beer snob, unlike many around here).

And while the boys have their rules about what you have to like and not like, BlueStarLizzard, LadySmith, and I only have a few. 1) We do not make sammiches for the boys unless they've EARNED them. 2) We do not cook bacon for them unless they've EARNED it. 3) When they misbehave, we throw shoes, grenades, or live ammo at them, using whatever tools are handy. 4) We girls do not exploit each other's weaknesses unless it's just damn funny or the opportunity is too good to pass up or there is nothing more interesting going on.

Stick around - this is a good bunch of screwballs folks.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »
What a crew...  :facepalm:

:rofl:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »
Boys, control yourselves. Y'all act like you've never seen a real girl before and you don't want to scare this one off like you scared the last couple who dropped by.

Welcome K-D! I could use some 9mm and any old lager (because I'm NOT a beer snob, unlike many around here).

And while the boys have their rules about what you have to like and not like, BlueStarLizzard, LadySmith, and I only have a few. 1) We do not make sammiches for the boys unless they've EARNED them. 2) We do not cook bacon for them unless they've EARNED it. 3) When they misbehave, we throw shoes, grenades, or live ammo at them, using whatever tools are handy. 4) We girls do not exploit each other's weaknesses unless it's just damn funny or the opportunity is too good to pass up or there is nothing more interesting going on.

No, I insist on Firefly. That's always a requirment.

And so far, not one of them has EARNED bacon. Just sayin'
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Kitteh-Dragon

« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2013, 04:08:10 PM »
Quite the nicest offer I've had in a long time! Thank you!  But, hubby and I have been happily married for 25 years, and intend to keep on making each other laugh and be loved as long as possible :-)

Dear Kitteh-Dragon:

Thank you.
Kitteh-Dragon

Kitteh-Dragon

« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2013, 04:10:25 PM »
WOOT!  My kind of place!  Thank you!!!!  Your ammo, your beer - and a case of old shoes for throwing :-)

Kitteh-Dragon

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2013, 04:14:11 PM »
Quite the nicest offer I've had in a long time! Thank you!  But, hubby and I have been happily married for 25 years, and intend to keep on making each other laugh and be loved as long as possible :-)

31 years, here  =)

Kitteh-Dragon

« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2013, 04:14:48 PM »
OK.  Captain Tight pants is awesome.  But I prefer Adam Baldwin.  Oh, DANG!  I left Larry Correia off my 'favorite SF authors list'!!!  Because his "Stranger & Stranger" short stories he posts on his blog with Adam Baldwin are *awesome*.  And I enjoy his Monster Hunter and Grim Noir series, too.

Sorry.  Firefly - love it.  Have it in DVD *and* Blueray.  And 'Serenity' in both.  :-)

Oh - I knit Jayne Cobb hats for sale at cons, with the money going to charity (have a friend who sells them.  I just send them to her).  

No, I insist on Firefly. That's always a requirment.

And so far, not one of them has EARNED bacon. Just sayin'
Kitteh-Dragon

Kitteh-Dragon

« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2013, 04:16:30 PM »
I can't believe I left *Larry Correia* off the list!  Sorry.  Insufficient caffeine! 

Do I *have* to have *one* favorite SF author?  ::whimper::  I mean, some of them are really good friends of mine!  You expect me to *choose*?!  Hmmm...

I enjoy MilSF.  And 'Space Opera'.  I will not tolerate dystopian defeatism.  
Kitteh-Dragon

Kitteh-Dragon

« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2013, 04:25:44 PM »
Wait, sorry.  I misread this.  I thought you meant "Bury my heart at **Kent State** - Tales from the Apocalypse".  Is there a different one with "Wounded Knee"?

Kitteh-Dragon

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2013, 04:32:08 PM »
You should review become intimately familiar with:

Firefly
Zardoz
Monty Python
The Big Bang Theory
All of Robert Heinlein's work
Atlas Shrugged
External ballistics

Not necessarily in that order

BAPZANGO!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:12:58 AM by Pharmacology »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »
Wait, sorry.  I misread this.  I thought you meant "Bury my heart at **Kent State** - Tales from the Apocalypse".  Is there a different one with "Wounded Knee"?

I was just seeing if you are on your toes.  Yeah, that's it, that's my story.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2013, 04:42:45 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.