Author Topic: Archers!  (Read 4818 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Archers!
« on: January 19, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a bow.  Not to hunt with, at least not immediately, but for recreational use.  I'm a member of the local IWLA and they have a nice field archery range as well as indoor archery.  I had a cheap fiberglass recurve as an early teen and enjoyed the heck out of it.  I'm not real fond of compound bows though.  They just don't feel right to me (yes, I'm aware of all the benefits of a compound, just don't like shooting them).

I have recently learned about the Samick Sage.  It appeals to be because it's inexpensive, flexible (all the common mount points on the riser for *stuff*, can replace the limbs to increase weight), and seems to be of good quality.  All of the reviews I've read are positive and it's frequently recommended for beginners. 

I'm considering this with Package 2 (yes, they're OOS at the moment).  I'd get a 30-35lb pull to start with and "upgrade" the limbs later on if I feel like I need more velocity or want to hunt with it.  I can comfortably draw a 45lb recurve (heaviest I've tried).  I think 30ish would be good while I work on my form and such.  If I never hunt with it, it'll be fine as is.

Thoughts?

Chris

Hutch

• friend
Re: Archers!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 09:18:55 AM »
Have fun with that, I'm jealous.  Due to major cross dominance and other factors, I couldn't reliably put an arrow thru an open garage door, if I was standing in the garage.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 10:51:57 AM »
Ladypine is interested in archery, but less so in shooting.

Thinking about taking her to town and picking out a beginner bow, etc for her "birthday" sometime this spring.

I could set up a couple old hay bales in my pistol range for targets.  I might even get interested in it myself.  If nothing else, it would be cheap (re-usable ammo) hand-eye coordination practice that might carry over to something like point shooting a handgun.  =|

I think that I have shot exactly one arrow with a bow.  I was a kid and we were visiting a family that had a toy bow & arrrow set.  I shot at a big cottonwood tree from about twenty feet, and missed it by about four feet  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 11:16:27 AM »
You could make one.  My son-in-law made a pair of 30 pounders for my nieces, for Christmas.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
Have fun with that, I'm jealous.  Due to major cross dominance and other factors, I couldn't reliably put an arrow thru an open garage door, if I was standing in the garage.

at least you have an excuse.........
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »
First, glad to see you skipping the training wheel learning curve. Yes there are certain benefits but they just don't feel right.
As far as the SAGE having attachment points far a stabilizer or pressure button arrow rest, I'm not seeing it. Granted, I'm looking at web pictures but it's not there. I just bought their "Red Stag", a step or two up from the SAGE, & it doesn't have the stabilizer or through button mounts.
 The quality/ cost relationship is on the buyers side. I don't know how Sammick can make a bow the equivelent of a 5 - 800 dollar "brand" for so little.
 As far as attachments, Sammick does make Olympic bow. The Korean team used them recently & they make standard target bows & limbs on a few different levels.

I belong to a couple "Trad****" archery forums where these points are discussed at lenght.

BTW, what the Red STg does have is an additional limb locator/ stabilizer pin that the SAGE doesn't.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 01:45:15 PM »
Lee, I thought about that, but for the price of the Sage, I'd just as soon buy one. 

Trip, I thought I read on one of the forums that the Sage had mount points for sights, stabilizers, bowfishing reels, etc.  I also saw one view of the riser that showed several threaded sockets.  My main wants are sights and the bowfishing.

According to the product info:
 Riser Cut Past Center with Crowned Arrow Shelf and
Brass Plunger, Stabilizer and Sight/Quiver Bushings

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 01:50:53 PM »
Some comments here about the Sage for bowfishing.  Folks mention the other mount points as well.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=103203

Chris

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »

You're right. They're all mentioning the SAGE has the bushings while the Red Stag doesn't. I haven't had the chance to lay hands on a SAGE but I'm not seeing the bushings in pictures other than your's.

If you've got a local shop that handles the line, Great! If not, you won't go wrong ordering from Lanchaser. They're the US rep.& distributor. Best prices I found & ordered the week before Christmas & had the bow in hand by the 23rd.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 03:36:10 PM »
Lee, I thought about that, but for the price of the Sage, I'd just as soon buy one.

For him, and for my brother, making it is part of the fun.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 05:39:46 PM »
Why not go the PVC pipe route?

That way, you get to put anything you want anywhere you want.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 06:57:16 PM »
Pity you don't like compounds. I have a Browning that's just gathering dust.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
I'm thinking about getting a bow.  Not to hunt with, at least not immediately, but for recreational use.  I'm a member of the local IWLA...

Thoughts?

I have a thought. If you're going to use obscure acronyms, tell us what they mean. 'Cause I don't know if you're a member of the International Warehouse Logistics Association, or the Izaak Walton League of America.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 08:16:26 PM »
Pity you don't like compounds. I have a Browning that's just gathering dust.

I thought your plan was to keep it.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 09:24:38 AM »
IWLA...

Intergallactic Wookie Lovers Association.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 09:36:14 AM »

I have a thought. If you're going to use obscure acronyms, tell us what they mean. 'Cause I don't know if you're a member of the International Warehouse Logistics Association, or the Izaak Walton League of America.

Izaak Walton comes up first in search results and is the only of the first few results where archery is relevant.  Sorry, I assumed too much.

Chris

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 10:22:25 AM »
i think i feel aseizure coming on......... =D
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 10:23:43 AM »
i think i feel aseizure coming on......... =D

I have no idea what you're talking about

[image redacted so as to not induce seizures]

Chris
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:07:10 AM by mtnbkr »

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 12:01:04 PM »
 O good! You see it, too.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 07:10:09 AM »
Well, it looks like I will start with training wheels after all as I was loaned a PSE Lightning Flite last night.  I still want a recurve, but this way I can get back into archery without spending a pile of cash before realizing it isn't as much fun as I remembered. :)

Chris

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 08:03:11 AM »
Well, it looks like I will start with training wheels after all

Every time that happens god kills a puppy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 08:22:59 AM »
Every time that happens god kills a puppy.

At least it wasn't a crossbow.  >:D

[popcorn]

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 07:04:29 PM »
At least it wasn't a crossbow.  >:D

[popcorn]

Chris

god kills 2 puppies and a kitten for crossbows.

I prefer a more traditional approach
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 10:40:33 AM »
I'd be more than happy to see if I can track down that English Longbow I told you about...