Author Topic: Universal Background Check  (Read 11180 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
Universal Background Check
« on: January 20, 2013, 03:40:45 PM »
From what I see, amongst all the noise about gun control and what not, the one topic that I perceive to be the most prevalent and sought by anti-gun forces is the "Universal Background Check". It seems that this is one thing the White House and others will be pushing hard for. It's what I keep hearing every time a high profile gun grabber opens his/her mouth. Confiscation, bans are very touchy (and easily challenged) subjects and I think will receive far more resistance and attention than a "mere mandatory background check". Because if you are an honest person, what do you have to hide.. right? I fear this is something people might let their guard down on.

What could happen:

It could make any face to face transfer without an FFL in between to make the check and document the transaction a felony, thus funneling ALL firearm movements towards Federal scrutiny in a single, centralized system. The background check could include ALL updated personal data of the buyer, seller and of firearm(s) purchased. I believe that then, if no specific limitation was made when passing the law, records of the "background check" could be kept on file indefinitely. And that's the dangerous part. All firearms bought by law abiding people traced, as of 2013. Then you have a covert registration system in place.

So what do you think?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Universal Background Check
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 03:47:34 PM »
I think that they should require a Background Check on all transfers of marijuana, cocaine, meth, etc

:facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »
Information is power. 

This equates to giving the Feds total power.  Where is OUR equivalent power?  We are excluded from most of the process of government, increasingly.

Transparency has to be mutual.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 05:11:48 PM »
There are huge numbers of guns in circulation that are untraceable to the current owner. So long as you know and trust explicitly who you buy or sell a gun from/to, banning private sales is unenforceable.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 07:32:01 PM »
What Constitutional basis could the Federal gov't claim to regulate private intrastate transfers?  My understanding is FFLs are regulated under the Interstate Commerce Clause, but that doesn't apply to private-party sales, as I see it.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 08:10:17 PM »
What Constitutional basis could the Federal gov't claim to regulate private intrastate transfers?  My understanding is FFLs are regulated under the Interstate Commerce Clause, but that doesn't apply to private-party sales, as I see it.

Because you make the transfer within a state you reduce demand for firearms from another state, so by not engaging in interstate commerce, you affect interstate commerce, and therefore are engaging in interstate commerce, and can be regulated.

Now do you understand, comrade?

:facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »
Because you make the transfer within a state you reduce demand for firearms from another state, so by not engaging in interstate commerce, you affect interstate commerce, and therefore are engaging in interstate commerce, and can be regulated.

Ding ding ding! The feds (including SCOTUS) have basically decided that everything affects interstate commerce, and thus they have authority over everything.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 08:27:25 PM »
Ding ding ding! The feds (including SCOTUS) have basically decided that everything affects interstate commerce, and thus they have authority over everything.

Yep. There are some states that are looking at legislation that says guns produced locally are not subject to federal control, but this hasn't been tested in court. If the SC says marijuana grown locally, for personal use, is subject to the the ICC, then I do not hold out much hope for guns.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 08:47:51 PM »
Yep. There are some states that are looking at legislation that says guns produced locally are not subject to federal control, but this hasn't been tested in court. If the SC says marijuana grown locally, for personal use, is subject to the the ICC, then I do not hold out much hope for guns.

Not entirely.
http://firearmsfreedomact.com/montana-lawsuit-updates/

Also this regarding Interstate Commerce.
http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/404/336/case.html

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 09:24:07 PM »
I'm all for Universal Background checks as long as I can carry anywhere in the universe  :P

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 09:44:22 PM »
I'm all for Universal Background checks as long as I can carry anywhere in the universe  :P

You're not allowed to carry laser pistols.  Those are banned by the Alliance.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 10:00:20 PM »
You're not allowed to carry laser pistols.  Those are banned by the Alliance.

It's a safe queen anyway

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:00:30 PM »
I think universal background checks are a great idea. In fact, I think they should install NICS phone booths on every second or third street corner in every city in the U.S. so all the drug dealers can call in their background checks when swapping drugs for guns, right there on the spot. I'm sure if we make it easy for them they'll be happy to go along.

Right?

Beuller?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 10:02:50 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »
I'm probably the Lone Ranger on this one, but I think you choose your battles.  I'm not opposed to non -family gun transfers running through an efficient (fast and accurate) check system...at least at large gun shows.  Under the current "system"  I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell of ever tracking illicit gun sales. There will always be people who will lie, cheat, steal, and circumvent the law...it doesn't mean that you should make no effort to enforce it.  When I buy used guns from induividiuals at gun shows in Ohio, I often worry that the gun might be stolen. When I sell them, a always wonder if the buyer has a record...or worse, works for Bloomberg. I've seen the same shady gun dealers hanging outside Ohio gun shows for 20 years. I also know every "private collector" dealers inside the shows. They are the ones who's guns are worth $50 more than the same gun sitting on the FFL dealer's table 10 feet away.  I just dont know where we're headed, if we're not willing to make some effort to sort out the bad apples. Just my opinion.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 08:45:55 PM »
Care to provide the Reader's Digest version?

No?

:P The short of it - Court to the Feds (in the case referenced): The interstate commerce clause doesn't mean what you think it means.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 09:04:15 PM »
I'm probably the Lone Ranger on this one, but I think you choose your battles.  I'm not opposed to non -family gun transfers running through an efficient (fast and accurate) check system...at least at large gun shows.  Under the current "system"  I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell of ever tracking illicit gun sales. There will always be people who will lie, cheat, steal, and circumvent the law...it doesn't mean that you should make no effort to enforce it.  When I buy used guns from induividiuals at gun shows in Ohio, I often worry that the gun might be stolen. When I sell them, a always wonder if the buyer has a record...or worse, works for Bloomberg. I've seen the same shady gun dealers hanging outside Ohio gun shows for 20 years. I also know every "private collector" dealers inside the shows. They are the ones who's guns are worth $50 more than the same gun sitting on the FFL dealer's table 10 feet away.  I just dont know where we're headed, if we're not willing to make some effort to sort out the bad apples. Just my opinion.

No picking battles.  No compromise of rights.  Face to face sales have been legal here since before this country existed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »
I'm probably the Lone Ranger on this one,
I hope so.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 10:12:32 PM »
Should an ID be required to vote?
Seems like most conservatives believe that it should...including me.
It doesn't infringe my right...it strengthens it.  It proves who I am and that I haven't done anything to forfeit my right.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 10:26:51 PM »

Tis why my state operates its own checks. So can your state.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 12:41:35 AM »
It doesn't infringe my right...it strengthens it.  It proves who I am and that I haven't done anything to forfeit my right.

Voting is a civil right. Keeping arms is a natural right. An important difference.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 06:39:00 AM »

also, the background check is a permission slip to buy a gun.  The direct comparison would be to show a driver's license to prove state residency. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 07:51:11 AM »
Not entirely.
http://firearmsfreedomact.com/montana-lawsuit-updates/

Also this regarding Interstate Commerce.
http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/404/336/case.html

I am eagerly awaiting the results of the Montana case.  IMO, this will go to the Supreme Court.  As for the Reader's Digest Condensed version, it deals with a Montana law that would exempt locally produced and retained firearms from the NFA and GCA, under the premise that they have not moved in or affect interstate commerce (IC).  IIRC, the 9th Circuit will hear oral arguments in March.

As for the second case, the Supreme Ct. has backed away from it's holding in Bass.  If you look at Scarborough v. U.S., 431 U.S. 563 (1977), they essentially said that after looking at it again, a minimal nexus is only required.  If this was the end of the IC issue and this case was one used to decide an IC case, then I would be confident that Montana and Mr. Marbut would easily win.  Unfortunately, we have US v. Lopez, 514 U.S. 549 (1995); Gonzales v. Raich,  545 U.S. 1 (2005); and United States v. Morrison, 529 U.S. 598 (2000).  All of these cases have indicated an expansion of the IC Clause and they have only seemed willing to limit the federal gov't if we are looking at a non-economic activity.  I think they are wrong, but since Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942), we have been stuck with the notion that something that affects IC, even if it doesn't move in IC, is enough to bring it under federal control.

With the way it stands, I am just not confident that the SC won't find some IC affect in locally made guns and decide that they fall under federal control.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 08:40:02 AM »
I also know every "private collector" dealers inside the shows. They are the ones who's guns are worth $50 more than the same gun sitting on the FFL dealer's table 10 feet away.

???

The purpose for an ID to vote isn't for the same reason.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hugh Damright

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 09:07:42 AM »
All firearms bought by law abiding people traced, as of 2013. Then you have a covert registration system in place.

So what do you think?

I think they would then have a media frenzy whenever they try to trace a gun but can't because it was transferred before 2013, and the push would be to register all guns, to make us safer.