Author Topic: White House Pushing Out CENTCOM Commander USMC Gen Mattis  (Read 1822 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
White House Pushing Out CENTCOM Commander USMC Gen Mattis
« on: January 21, 2013, 10:18:15 PM »
For the crime of making our civilian leadership walk through the consequences of their policy & potential actions.

http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/01/18/the_obama_administration_s_inexplicable_mishandling_of_marine_gen_james_mattis?wp_login_redirect=0
Why the hurry? Pentagon insiders say that he rubbed civilian officials the wrong way -- not because he went all "mad dog," which is his public image, and the view at the White House, but rather because he pushed the civilians so hard on considering the second- and third-order consequences of military action against Iran. Some of those questions apparently were uncomfortable. Like, what do you do with Iran once the nuclear issue is resolved and it remains a foe? What do you do if Iran then develops conventional capabilities that could make it hazardous for U.S. Navy ships to operate in the Persian Gulf? He kept saying, "And then what?"

On another note, the author of the posting, a big effing deal, foreign policy reporter-wise, just got around to reading Obama's book.  WTF, over?  Wouldn't that be the first place to start when covering a POTUS?

I'm still a fan of President Obama. I just drove for two days down the East Coast listening to his first book, and enjoyed it enormously. But I am at the point where I don't trust his national security team. They strike me as politicized, defensive and narrow. These are people who will not recognize it when they screw up, and will treat as enemies anyone who tells them they are doing that. And that is how things like Vietnam get repeated. Harsh words, I know. But I am worried.

FTR, Mattis has a sterling reputation for competence and judgment.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: White House Pushing Out CENTCOM Commander USMC Gen Mattis
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:43:21 PM »
FTR, Mattis has a sterling reputation for competence and judgment.

All the more reason to get him out of the way.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 01:49:28 AM »
Another one thrown from the train.  =|

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 07:12:18 AM »
How dare a commanding officer plan ahead!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 12:19:22 PM »
So he wasn't a Yes-man? That's a serious faux pas in the Empire  :P

What freedom loving people have got to begin to understand, is that working for the Government in any of it's branches is not about service, but servitude... As in: You are not in service to your Country, you are in servitude to a small group of elitists.

Smarten up already.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 12:51:26 PM »
The boss doesn't like it when you are smarter then him.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »
Sounds like Gen Mattis was somewhat like the child who cried out "But he isn't wearing anything at all!"

(I trust everyone got the reference to the Han Christian Anderson tale, "The Emperor's New Clothes")
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Waitone

• friend
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:35:38 PM »
It's good to be a loyal soldier, better to be a noble warrior who tells his nation why he's been ousted when the truth might help save the Republic.  These men leave in silence.  Sometimes bravery goes beyond the battlefield.  We need their voices.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:23:36 AM »
I wonder if some stay silent out of fear or repercussions?

"We won't do anything to you but if you spill the beans we'll probably find kiddie p0rn or evidence of espionage on somebody you care about's computer."

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 12:24:11 AM »
The boss doesn't like it when you are smarter then him.

Cuts both ways. Donald "Let's rumble" Rumsfeld canned the general who told him we would need 300,000 pairs of boots on the ground to successfully invade Iraq. Rumsfeld insisted it could be done with 100,000 ... so he appointed someone who was willing to go with 100,000. And history hasd already shown that 100,000 was enough to capture the country, but not enough to secure the country afterward.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 07:40:12 AM »
I wonder if some stay silent out of fear or repercussions?

"We won't do anything to you but if you spill the beans we'll probably find kiddie p0rn or evidence of espionage on somebody you care about's computer."

I am certain that more than subtle threats are made against people who may "rock the boat". In the end, it's not unlike any other organized crime syndicate.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"