Author Topic: NYPD: Terahertz scanner checks for concealed weapons  (Read 4738 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
NYPD: Terahertz scanner checks for concealed weapons
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:13:16 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd-readies-scan-and-frisk-article-1.1245663

Solution 1:  metal liner on IWB holster in irregular shape to break up gun outline.
Solution 2:  metal liner in cover garment

What metals and what thickness block terahertz radiation?  It's basically glorified IR, isn't it?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: NYPD: Terahertz scanner checks for concealed weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 03:19:41 PM »
Shindig
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:30:39 PM »
Solution 3: Metal liner in shape of a tablet or smartphone.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:56:02 PM »
Isn't there some new winter coat out there with an aluminized mylar liner?  Columbia or someone like that makes it?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »
Will tinfoil jacket become a new meme?   [tinfoil]

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 04:06:13 PM »
Solution 3: Metal liner in shape of a tablet or smartphone.

How about a working tablet with a compartment for a small firearm???  Basically take an iPhone, put the hardware into one of the big tablets so it's functional, and leaves a void in the case for concealment...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:12:15 PM »
How about a working tablet with a compartment for a small firearm???  Basically take an iPhone, put the hardware into one of the big tablets so it's functional, and leaves a void in the case for concealment...
That would require a very thin gun and a very thick tablet.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 04:45:14 PM »
Looks like any metal (or even water, for that matter) will block THz radiation...   It's tucked into the niche between far IR and microwaves, 300GHz to 3000GHz...  or 1mm to 0.1mm

Of course, this does bring up all sorts of 4th amendment questions....   And if I recall correctly, didn't SCOTUS already say that using thermal imagers to find pot grows was verboten?  Don't see how this would be any different.

Yup:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyllo_v._United_States

and a link to the decision:  http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/533/27/case.html

It's very interesting to read the opinion written by Justice Scalia...  He's basically saying that using sense-enhancing devices to detect something that would otherwise not be detectable....  Here's a quote that I find interesting from Wikipedia:

Justice Scalia also discussed how future technology can invade on one's right of privacy and therefore authored the opinion so that it protected against more sophisticated surveillance equipment

I imagine that when this THz scanner gets challenged in court, it'll be ugly for the NYPD.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:15:51 PM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 05:00:53 PM »
Shindig

This was my precise thought
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »
Looks like any metal (or even water, for that matter) will block THz radiation...   It's tucked into the niche between far IR and microwaves, 300GHz to 3000GHz...  or 1mm to 0.1mm

Of course, this does bring up all sorts of 4th amendment questions....   And if I recall correctly, didn't SCOTUS already say that using thermal imagers to find pot grows was verboten?  Don't see how this would be any different.

Yup:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyllo_v._United_States

Hey man... this is NYC we're talking about. Property of King Bloomie.

And why does their test subject have to be an urban looking black youth?...
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 05:08:57 PM »
Kelly, who first discussed the possibility of using this technology last year, said the NYPD has been working with the London Metropolitan Police and a contractor “to develop a tool that meets our requirements.”

Developed with the help of London Police, that is pretty telling. They don't have that pesky 4th Amendment to worry about, do they?

bob

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 05:17:29 PM »
That would require a very thin gun and a very thick tablet.

I happen to have my hands on a couple.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 05:33:42 PM »
I happen to have my hands on a couple.

Of invitations?

G_P

Re: Re: NYPD: Terahertz scanner checks for concealed weapons
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 06:58:43 PM »
Have everyone stick gun shaped tinfoil cutouts in their pockets.

Sent from my C5120 using Tapatalk 2

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Re: NYPD: Terahertz scanner checks for concealed weapons
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 07:14:10 PM »
Have everyone stick gun shaped tinfoil cutouts in their pockets.

Sent from my C5120 using Tapatalk 2
I was thinking something else...certain parts of the male anatomy perhaps, sewn into the back of one's jacket/shirt. Or a short text indicating that someone should perform self-copulation.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 07:31:41 PM »

It actually is racist.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »

It actually is racist.

Darn tootin, they could have chosen any color at all in the digital display to denote the gun, but they chose.... BLACK.  :mad:
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 11:24:54 PM »
How is this different from the body-scanners at airports, and why is one technology used over the other, in each situation?

(I mean, tech-wise, not 4th-amendment-wise.)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 11:38:10 PM »
How is this different from the body-scanners at airports, and why is one technology used over the other, in each situation?

Opposite (nearly) end of the EM spectrum. The nudoscopes of the TSA use weak X-rays that go through clothes & hair, but not "too far" into denser things like your skin, or guns. They kind of bulldoze/ice-pick their way in by virtue of being such a short wavelength/high-energy photon.

The terrahertz stuff that straddles the IR/microwave boundary kind of slip through your clothes by virtue of their long wavelength. Kind of the opposite of how the door in your microwave blocks the energy because the holes in the screening grid are the wrong size. This stuff is the right size to slip through.

If you remember the "night shot" camcorders that were all the scandal/rage for a time because you could use one with a filter to see through a woman's blouse to her bra, it's more akin to that than the X-rays.
I promise not to duck.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 01:08:32 AM »
One thing to note also is that the THz radiation is actually emitted by anything above about. 10 degrees Kelvin...  So this is basically a THz camera, there's no energy leaving the device...  The THz radiation is blocked by the gun (or other object) to create a shadow.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 02:16:20 AM »
Will tinfoil jacket become a new meme?   [tinfoil]

This is the NYPD we're talking about. Any obvious attempts to foil their new toy can be guaranteed to trigger a stop and frisk.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 11:43:33 AM »

One difference is that one can choose not to fly.

I know that's not always practical. Beyond that, though, at an airport you can opt out of the scanner and subject yourself to an alternate screening procedure. (Not sure exactly what that is these days, but it's there.) If "they" are just scanning us while we walk down the street, there's no opportunity to opt out.

Oops -- sorry, I my response isn't tech-wise. Not surprising, since I am not tech-wise.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 05:20:49 PM »
This is the NYPD we're talking about. Any obvious attempts to foil their new toy can be guaranteed to trigger a stop and frisk.

I think that's the point. Overwhelm the users of the technology to make it irrelevant.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”