Author Topic: 2001 Chevy C1500 rack & pinion leaks  (Read 1034 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
2001 Chevy C1500 rack & pinion leaks
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »
I just got back from getting an oil change (too cold to doit myself) and the shop says my rack and pinion boots are dripping power steering fluid.  I haven't checked it myself yet.  They say I need a new rack and pinion unit, but there's no play at all in this one and it only has 73000 miles.  If I buy a rebuilt one, it might be worse than what I have (except for the leaky seals)

If I take it to an independent garage, can they put an end seal kit in?  I see seal kits for sale on the Internet for about $30 or less.  Or is there too much labor involved to go that route?  Labor is close to $100 per hour here.

I think I might just watch the fluid level in the PS pump reservoir and not worry about it until the one of the boots gives out.

Bob
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: 2001 Chevy C1500 rack & pinion leaks
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 03:56:11 AM »
I vote for leak. monitor, and fill. Unless you have subjected your front end to some trauma recently such as whacking a curb or rock real hard with the wheels turned. Steerings leak when they are broke too.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: 2001 Chevy C1500 rack & pinion leaks
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:17:21 AM »
First thing to try is flushing the system and freshening the fluid.  At ten years and 70k it needs it anyway.  Also, make sure it's not fluid from somewhere else dripping down onto the steering rack.

There's two different seals... the end seals (hold pressure) and the dust boots (keep everything clean).  If the seals have failed no big deal to replace them, just time consuming and you have the proper tools, be surgical-clean, and vewy vewy kewful not to ding, dent, burr, or bang anything while replacing them.  Steering systems are under more pressure than you realize.  Unless the seals are properly installed on perfectly clean and undamaged surfaces you will end up with a bigger leak.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB