Author Topic: Another use for oil filters  (Read 4259 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Another use for oil filters
« on: January 24, 2013, 01:14:18 PM »
Do you suppose any of the barrel manufacturers out there would comply with a customer request for a threaded barrel with 3/4"-16 thread pitch at the end of it, rather than the conventional 1/2"-28 thread pitch?

And if a customer could get such a threading on their barrel, at what point is the obligatory $200 tax applied?  When the barrel has the threads cut?  Or when the oil filter comes off Fram's assembly line?  Or when the barrel is mounted to the firearm?  Or when the filter is screwed onto the end of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs

ETA:

Charby has requested that I append the following to my OP.

What is a "silencer" if barrels come threaded and an oil filter has threads?  Same thought tangent as a RepRap 3D printer:  Silencers are obscure since the purchasing process is obscure.  If threaded baffled tubes exist, and threads on barrels exist, the only thing stopping a non "silencer" from being a silencer is the thread pattern.  If the thread pattern on a barrel matches a non-silencer device, and threads by themselves are not a silencer, what is a silencer?

It parallels to the same place in my mind, for the RepRap.  The imposition against freedom and backdoor registration of the 4473 is completely destroyed by the revolution of 3D printing, once material strength issues are resolved.  What is a "gun" when 3D printing is reality?  Is it the STL file?  Is it the unformed spool of plastic filament marked with a special die to indicate you paid your excise tax, as is done with fuel currently?  Is it a "special" license for my CAD software different from non-gun CAD software?  Is it the combination of MY computer, MY 3D printer, and MY software?  Or does the "gun" belong to whomever authored the STL file, and if so, what is the chain of ownership of GPL'ed STL files?  Who "manufactures" a firearm when the print command is issued?  What if the print command is issued remotely via remote desktop or ssh protocols?

It's the same question:  When the rules have no answer, where does freedom lie?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:16:27 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Another use for oil filters
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »
That's an adapter sold by CadizGunWorks

http://cadizgunworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67

And to me it sure as *expletive deleted* looks like felony bait. Oh and the ATF has long ruled that the suppressor itself is the NFA item and can only be rebuilt by the maker. So you'd be paying $200 for each oil filter. Far, far FAR cheaper to buy a dedicated suppresssor that is designed and as efficient as possible for the caliber.

I do recall several years ago a maker turning out similar adapters for a soda bottle as a 1 shot suppressor and the ATF ruled that each soda bottle was judged to be a suppressor.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:20:48 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »
That's an adapter sold by CadizGunWorks

http://cadizgunworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67

And to me it sure as *expletive deleted* looks like felony bait.

The "solvent trap adapter" absolutely.

But Cadiz also sells a threaded adapter WITH A SERIAL NUMBER on it (as Hickok45 showed) that you can get a tax stamp on.  2:10 in the video.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 01:24:55 PM »
And if a customer could get such a threading on their barrel, at what point is the obligatory $200 tax applied?  When the barrel has the threads cut?  Or when the oil filter comes off Fram's assembly line?  Or when the barrel is mounted to the firearm?  Or when the filter is screwed onto the end of it?
I'd say before you came into possession of both a filter and the threaded firearm.

From what I understand, 3 or 4 of them have been successfully registered.  That said, I really, really wouldn't want to try to explain it to a BATF agent.  And as often as they change their minds about stuff like this, I'd be awful skittish about putting any money into it.  They could simply define a wipe as "a plastic or rubber sheet or washer" and suddenly the oil filter is no longer a wipe but a suppressor part tied to the serial numbered component.  Then if you want to replace it, you've got to have a suppressor manufacturer screw on a new one. 

That inconsistency is one of the reasons I've never bought a SlideFire stock.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 01:25:52 PM »
The "solvent trap adapter" absolutely.

But Cadiz also sells a threaded adapter WITH A SERIAL NUMBER on it (as Hickok45 showed) that you can get a tax stamp on.  2:10 in the video.

And then each oil filter you buy is a suppressor.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 01:27:16 PM »
If justice prevails and the 1934 NFA is repealed, that would be a nifty way for folks to reduce noise pollution on the cheap.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 01:43:39 PM »
Are all oil filters the same threading?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »
In what I've read both the adapter and the filter are considered the suppressor.  Any extra filters laying around are considered the same as having extra baffles laying around with all the same legal implications.  An 07/02 has to replace the oil filter for you just like you were going to replace the baffles in a regular suppressor.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »
In what I've read both the adapter and the filter are considered the suppressor.  Any extra filters laying around are considered the same as having extra baffles laying around with all the same legal implications.  An 07/02 has to replace the oil filter for you just like you were going to replace the baffles in a regular suppressor.

Which is why it's a stupid idea to try to "save money" with one of these and it's not really "sticking it to the man"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 02:22:12 PM »
I hope you are not advocating doing something illegal. If so this thread will be locked uber fast.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 02:31:53 PM »
I hope you are not advocating doing something illegal. If so this thread will be locked uber fast.

I'm asking the question of consisting of the following datapoints:

-Obviously a threaded barrel in and of itself is not a "suppressor."  Evidence:  AR-15's with flash suppressors on them.
-Suppressors have a default thread pattern of 1/2" x 28.
-A thread adapter from 1/2" x 28 to 3/4" x 16 is available for $75 + $200 tax stamp, and the oil filter is evidently not the "suppressor."

If all of the above is true, then a rifle with a 3/4" x 16 thread pattern at the end of the barrel is not a suppressor and neither is an oil filter... right?  The "suppressor" is the constructive intent and capability to screw an oil filter onto it?  So you are paying $200 on an idea rather than an object...
--Lysander Spooner

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 02:42:20 PM »
No as soon as you add anything to the muzzle to reduce the sound it becomes a suppressor. The "moderators" on early CAR-15s that reduced the sound a bit are considered suppressors by the BATFE, for example.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 02:43:17 PM »
If the BATFE were smart (I know, bad assumption) they would publically OK this adaptor. Think of all of the revenue they would have coming in $200 chunks if they made it this cheap and easy to own a suppressor.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 04:38:24 PM »
If the BATFE were smart (I know, bad assumption) they would publically OK this adaptor. Think of all of the revenue they would have coming in $200 chunks if they made it this cheap and easy to own a suppressor.
I doubt it would matter much.  Decent .22LR suppressors can already be had for ~$200.  I don't think $125 is the difference between buying a suppressor and not buying one.  We had some local dealers try to give away a suppressor once.  Even among the people who entered, they had to go to the third or fourth option because people didn't want to do the paperwork, get CLEO signoffs, get their picture taken, get prints taken, etc.

Plus, it is my understanding that NFA revenue goes into the general fund (it is a tax, after all, not a use fee), not BATFE pockets, so there is no real incentive.

Finally, there is already a six month wait on Form 1s and Form 4s.  They are supposedly hiring extra help to work through the backlog, but - again - no there isn't really an institutional incentive to process more.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 05:29:05 PM »
Finally, there is already a six month wait on Form 1s and Form 4s.  They are supposedly hiring extra help to work through the backlog, but - again - no there isn't really an institutional incentive to process more.

The wait time got down to 6 months with the extra people and temp examiners who've been on for a year or so already.

Now with the Sandy Hook/Obama buying panic, waits are estimated as being up to over a year or more.
I promise not to duck.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 05:49:18 PM »
The wait time got down to 6 months with the extra people and temp examiners who've been on for a year or so already.

Now with the Sandy Hook/Obama buying panic, waits are estimated as being up to over a year or more.
Beautiful!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 12:19:50 AM »

And here I have plans on getting something in April.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic