Author Topic: David Mamet speaks out on gun control  (Read 810 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
David Mamet speaks out on gun control
« on: January 26, 2013, 04:04:57 PM »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2013/01/28/gun-laws-and-the-fools-of-chelm-by-david-mamet.html

I liked the line about pawnshops, by virtue of having armed guards, must be more valuable than our schools.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Lee

• friend
Re: David Mamet speaks out on gun control
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 09:36:35 AM »
In the short term, a reasonable response to arsonists would be to hire more firefighters and extinguishers. The longer term response would be, how do you reduce the number of arsonists, or limit their impact. You have to approach a problem from both directions. In our current political environment, there are only extremes, and little rational thought.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »
None of what he says is any great revelation, but it's always nice to read a piece by someone who is actually a good writer.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:00:28 AM »

First picture in the article is from a PA rally at the Capital Building in Harrisburg. It seemed like there were nearly as many politicians as gun owners. And exactly two Capital Police, to keep folks from walking through the flower beds.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.