Author Topic: A salute to those who paid the ultimate price for exploration  (Read 683 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
A salute to those who paid the ultimate price for exploration
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:30:38 AM »
Ten years ago I was skiing in Ruidoso, New Mexico, when I saw the news about Columbia. The shuttle broke up right over Lubbock.  I met Willie McCool's father while working at the gun shop last year. Now that I work at Tech he offices across the parking lot. Barry, if you happen to see this, your son was, and is, a true hero. He, and the crew of Columbia, will beforever be an inspiration.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: A salute to those who paid the ultimate price for exploration
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 12:14:35 PM »
Indeed, and thank you for reminding me of the upcoming anniversary.

I was on a drill weekend that day at the Leominster State Forest north of Worcester, MA.  It was freezing cold, bright sunshine.  Someone got a call on his cell phone and broke the news.  Throughout the day we got more info from people at home watching live TV.  It was a very surreal and sad experience.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: A salute to those who paid the ultimate price for exploration
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:46:58 PM »
The elementary school at Fairchild AFB is named after one of the Columbia astronauts. They are having an assembly, and open house to honor the namesake of their school, Lt. Col. Michael Anderson.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50644727/ns/local_news-spokane_wa/#.UQnM3h00V8E

bob