Author Topic: I was wondering when this was going to happen...  (Read 5790 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
I was wondering when this was going to happen...
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:23:45 AM »

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: I was wondering when this was going to happen...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:35:52 AM »
As of now this seems to have been a false report.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 07:56:25 AM »

Bummer. There is nothing like an Earth-shattering Kaboom in Iran to start off a Monday.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 12:25:19 PM »

That could explain why I haven't heard neither hide or hair of such a report ... even a rumor. [popcorn] [tinfoil] :angel:

Shame....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »
Israeli minister (on phone):

"Oops, wait a minute . . . this IS January 29th, isn't it?  WHAT? It's only the 28th? DAMMIT! My watch is off! We'll talk again tomorrow."

<click>
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 01:06:52 PM »
Bummer. There is nothing like an Earth-shattering Kaboom in Iran to start off a Monday.

Not really. I don't think a full blown war with Iran is good for anyone, anywhere. I'd rather the conflict keep on the cold side for the duration.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 04:01:15 PM »
It's not going to.  Once the Iranians think they have a weapon that can eliminate Israel they'll use it.  Religion, in this case, trumps logic and Realpolitik
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »
It's not going to.  Once the Iranians think they have a weapon that can eliminate Israel they'll use it.  Religion, in this case, trumps logic and Realpolitik

Or use it to gain more freedom of action.  "Freedom of action" being use of conventional arms to achieve their objectives.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 05:43:32 PM »
Not really. I don't think a full blown war with Iran is good for anyone, anywhere. I'd rather the conflict keep on the cold side for the duration.

When "the duration" ends, then what?  Better to kill or delay Iran's nuclear capability now than to try to do that after they get a bomb built.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 07:41:55 PM »
Well was this a thing?  Or did it not happen?  Anyone with credibility saying?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 09:06:47 PM »
Iran and US Gov say no, Israel and several "insiders say yes. You decide. :P

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 10:33:07 PM »
Iran and US Gov say no, Israel and several "insiders say yes. You decide. :P

Let see..
We know the US Gov will lie about anything even after the truth is in history books. Achmadmandajihad is only slightly less prone to honesty than was Baghdad Bob. As to Israel I'm not well informed enough to make a call and to the "insiders", well who knows, so my money would be on Tehran being a smoking hole.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »
What does WikiLeaks say?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »
I just saw a report on this.  If it was false, I think it would have been retracted by now.  But then, Iran is not much for admitting much of anything publically.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 02:40:17 AM »
I just saw a report on this.  If it was false, I think it would have been retracted by now.  But then, Iran is not much for admitting much of anything publically.

Would you want to admit to the world that your security and national defense is so impotent that the single most well guarded place in your country, your prized nuclear material facility, was just turned into a smoking crater?

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 08:32:37 AM »
Would you want to admit to the world that your security and national defense is so impotent that the single most well guarded place in your country, your prized nuclear material facility, was just turned into a smoking crater?
Was it, actually? Btw, saw a description of a conventional (well, non-nuclear) bomb that would penetrate 200 feet of reinforced concrete.  Two.  Hundred.  Feet.

Wow.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 08:35:44 AM »
That could explain why I haven't heard neither hide or hair of such a report ... even a rumor. [popcorn] [tinfoil] :angel:

Shame....

World Nut Daily reported it. :)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 08:49:30 AM »
Was it, actually? Btw, saw a description of a conventional (well, non-nuclear) bomb that would penetrate 200 feet of reinforced concrete.  Two.  Hundred.  Feet.
I'm trying to work out the physics of punching through that much solid, reinforced concrete ... just not seeing how it could happen - at least with anything small enough that it doesn't require a Saturn V to get to the target.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »
I'm trying to work out the physics of punching through that much solid, reinforced concrete ... just not seeing how it could happen - at least with anything small enough that it doesn't require a Saturn V to get to the target.
The AP round from the WWII "Gustav" gun was an 80cm, 16,000 pound projectile that reputedly would penetrate 7m (23 ft) of reinforced concrete. Several rounds fired at Sevastopol destroyed a magazine under 30 meters of water and an additional 10 meters of concrete, so the 7m penetration spec may have been conservative. (Would like more details on how the Russkies built an underwater magazine - sounds more in line with what you'd get from a Bond movie villain.)

200 feet of solid reinforced concrete is a serious step up . . . imagine penetrating a reinforced concrete cap as thick as an 18 or 20 story building is high.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 11:24:33 AM »
The AP round from the WWII "Gustav" gun was an 80cm, 16,000 pound projectile that reputedly would penetrate 7m (23 ft) of reinforced concrete. Several rounds fired at Sevastopol destroyed a magazine under 30 meters of water and an additional 10 meters of concrete, so the 7m penetration spec may have been conservative. (Would like more details on how the Russkies built an underwater magazine - sounds more in line with what you'd get from a Bond movie villain.)

200 feet of solid reinforced concrete is a serious step up . . . imagine penetrating a reinforced concrete cap as thick as an 18 or 20 story building is high.

Concrete probably has a relatively low melting point, right?

Or, as I found on the interent, it  doesn't really melt, but just turns into either a slurry or a powder once it reaches a high enough temperature?

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »
Heavy, hard case; delayed fuse, BIG shaped charge warhead.

Even better: tactical nuke bunker buster.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »

Blast shook buildings 3 miles away. Big badaboom.

That's what happens when you start mixing in those fifth elements.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 05:14:50 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_Ordnance_Penetrator

GBU-57A/B. 30,000 lb bunker buster (in comparison to our previously fielded 5,000 lb bunker buster).

I wouldn't be surprised if it incorporated a rocket assisted terminal phase (basically to give it some extra umph before impact and to help keep it's energy up during penetration).

birdman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 05:28:56 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_Ordnance_Penetrator

GBU-57A/B. 30,000 lb bunker buster (in comparison to our previously fielded 5,000 lb bunker buster).

I wouldn't be surprised if it incorporated a rocket assisted terminal phase (basically to give it some extra umph before impact and to help keep it's energy up during penetration).

No rocket assist for the MOP, gravity only.  Rocket during impact wouldn't buy you much, any conceivable rocket is far too low of thrust to really do much during the 30-50ms of the penetration event.  Think about it, 15,000kg at 300m/s is 45 million N-s of impulse (about 10 million pound-seconds) in 1/30th of a second, or 300 million pounds of force average on the bomb:
 meaning even a 1.5 million pound-thrust Saturn-V F-1 would compensate for less than 0.5% of the impact force (and a commensurate increase in penetration).

Given the size of the MOP, and its average density, even Newtonian penetration gives a depth of over 100ft in concrete.

It does hit at high subsonic though, and 50-100ft is more than enough.  Hell, that's enough to make a VERY large hole in the top 100-200ft of Hoover dam.