Author Topic: stem cell printer  (Read 673 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
stem cell printer
« on: February 05, 2013, 09:16:24 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/3d-printed-human-embryonic-stem-cells-created-first-165551783.html

scientists are using a printer to apply stem cells, which could lead to the creation of 3d replacement organs.  amazing if it comes to fruition.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: stem cell printer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:55:44 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/3d-printed-human-embryonic-stem-cells-created-first-165551783.html

scientists are using a printer to apply stem cells, which could lead to the creation of 3d replacement organs.  amazing if it comes to fruition.

If they use the recipients own adult stem cells, they won't have to worry about organ rejection.  And I think that's already being done using extracellular matrix obtained from pig bladders.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:11:53 AM »
You know someone, somewhere is going to print out "that" organ just to see if they can make it a little bigger.

Other than that it sound like a interesting area of research.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »
if this is taken a step further, i can visualize building the organ in place with no need for stitching of sutures.  merely use the computer to apply the organ where it belongs.  possibly this could be done arthoscopicaly if a printer head could be made that small?  even closing a wound could be done with spraying on skin cells.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 11:23:34 AM »
if this is taken a step further, i can visualize building the organ in place with no need for stitching of sutures.  merely use the computer to apply the organ where it belongs.  possibly this could be done arthoscopicaly if a printer head could be made that small?  even closing a wound could be done with spraying on skin cells.

Shades of "Starship Troopers" and "Prometheus."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »
Interesting development of the technology.

Quote from: zxcvbob
If they use the recipients own adult stem cells, they won't have to worry about organ rejection.

They may have to worry about the FDA getting involved.  There is a company local to me that stopped  US clinic application of a patients own stem cells (removed, cultred to expand total cell counts and then returned to the same person) since the FDA considers the cultured stem cells as a drug and so falls under their dominion if I understand the case correclty.

http://www.regenexx.com/tag/regenexx-fda/

http://www.regenexx.com/common-questions/regenexx-fda-clarification/
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.