Author Topic: Mexican town, tired of fear, goes vigilante  (Read 2868 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Mexican town, tired of fear, goes vigilante
« on: February 06, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
http://blogs.wsj.com/photojournal/2013/02/03/taking-the-law-into-their-own-hands/

Look at the trash weapons they have.

No LBE.  No AR's, AK's, riplesnifers, heavy machine guns or whatever.

And they are WINNING.

It's beautiful.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Mexican town, tired of fear, goes vigilante
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »
But but civilians can't stand against a superior force!
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »
Awesome.  Good for them!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 08:05:58 PM »
http://blogs.wsj.com/photojournal/2013/02/03/taking-the-law-into-their-own-hands/

Look at the trash weapons they have.

No LBE.  No AR's, AK's, riplesnifers, heavy machine guns or whatever.

And they are WINNING.

It's beautiful.

(Waiting for the article to oooze down.)  What do they have, the Mexican equivalent to Kyber pass gun makers?

Interesting.

Is there a text article associated with this?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:13:52 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:21:56 PM »
I can just see something like that happening in the US. What a crapstorm that would bring down.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:37:13 PM »
Good on them for standing up and saying enough is freaking enough!

Asymetric defensive operations in urban terrain can really put a hurting on an attacking foe, and unlike us, the cartels don't have hundreds of state-of-the-art MBT's, IFV's, air support, etc.  If those folks stick to it and exercise even a modicum of preparation and alertness to prevent things like midnight kidnappings, then the drug cartels are going to bleed trying to go in there. Badly.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »
I can just see something like that happening in the US. What a crapstorm that would bring down.

In several different countries we have blackened the skies with B-52s and rained down naval and field artillery until there was not a square foot of earth untilled.  And the locals met us and kicked our backsides all the way home.

Part of it was/is the willingness to trade bodies for time.  Not sure an insurrection will go that far - at first.

The other part was/is our unwillingness to actually hold ground.  After assaulting through the same trench/bunker complex every day for a solid fortnight it gets old and the enthusiasm wears off.  Ask the Germans about winning/holding urban space.

At least our opponents will have been trained using the same crappy first-person shooter game tactics as most of the insurrectionists.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 10:21:49 PM »
Does militia = vigilante?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 10:41:17 PM »
Does militia = vigilante?

I don't see much difference between vigilante, militia, or posse.

Vigilante is often used in reference to a singular entity rather than a collective, but in this case the "singular" town went vigilante in its unified disdain for Mexican Federales as well as the drug lords by means of employing a militia.

Militia is a semi-organized fighting force.

Posse is an impromptu fighting force rapidly assembled, usually to assist local established law enforcement.  Mostly a western US word with little common usage in other parts of the world.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 11:23:33 PM »
Is there a text article associated with this?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323829504578272032483616560.html

It might require subscription.

Synopsis:
Southern Mexico, centered around Ayutla
Mostly ranchers/farmers backing the militia
The militia stopped the kidnappings and extortions/protection money immediately
Federal police and military are no longer permitted entry into the defended regions
Out of towners are also no longer permitted to enter the areas
The central gov't is accepting this usurpation for now, if not providing tacit approval
Public trials and executions, but some lynchings occur outside of trial
Cases are judged by the townsfolk en mass
Some people are falsely accused of collaborating with cartels but seem to be released upon investigation
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:27:18 PM »
Magnificent Seven?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I promise not to duck.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 12:32:06 AM »
Well, it IS a Natural Right.. regardless of what any paper may or may not say...
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 01:45:39 AM »
The problem is that as these groups mature, they're likely to be coopted by cartel money.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 03:45:13 AM »
The problem is that as these groups mature, they're likely to be coopted by cartel money.
They might but only if the community gets complacent and stops actively participating, and begins delegating responsibilities to the few.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 08:46:52 AM »
In several different countries we have blackened the skies with B-52s and rained down naval and field artillery until there was not a square foot of earth untilled.  And the locals met us and kicked our backsides all the way home.
That's not entirely true - our leaders hamstrung our military to prevent them from achieving the victory we could have. For example, even after dropping more bomb tonnage in Vietnam than we did in both theaters of WWII, we were negotiating with Hanoi; if we had dropped the bombs where they should have been dropped, Hanoi and all of its suburbs would have been an area of overlapping bomb craters - there wouldn't have been a Hanoi to negotiate with. (Same with every town and hamlet in North Vietnam.)

Some of the stories out of the Middle East covering everything from denial of air and artillery support to insane rules of engagement are equally disturbing.

But as for Mexico . . . as long as the militia/vigilantes remain a group "of the people" and aren't corrupted, they'll continue to do good for the locals. If there's ever a migration of the members out of town . . . where they start living apart from the other villagers and begin first asking for, then demanding "protection" money . . . that's when there will be more trouble.

Personally, I'm a bit surprised the Mexican government hasn't cracked down on them more than on the narco terrorists; that's certainly what would happen here in the USA if a neighborhood rallied against gangs. I guess the cartels haven't spread around enough - what's the word, mordida? - to get the government to move on these folks.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 09:04:25 AM »

Part of it was/is the willingness to trade bodies for time.  Not sure an insurrection will go that far - at first.

The other part was/is our unwillingness to actually hold ground.  After assaulting through the same trench/bunker complex every day for a solid fortnight it gets old and the enthusiasm wears off.  Ask the Germans about winning/holding urban space.

At least our opponents will have been trained using the same crappy first-person shooter game tactics as most of the insurrectionists.
stay safe.

There are tens of thousands of vets out there with knoweldge to share.  Just sayin.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 08:26:50 AM »
this won't end well for the village.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 11:04:40 AM »

For the moment, better than letting the cartel's have the run of the place.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 03:48:12 PM »

It does not always have to be the Good GuysTM riding off into the sunset for the win to go in their column.  Merely having stood up is often enough.  The Spartan 300, the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, that guy in Tienamen Square, the Egyptian Spring before it went all wonky, the backlash against the rapes on buses in India.

The fact that they could stand up, if only for a while, makes others believe they can also stand up.  Cartels hate when that happens.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 04:02:42 PM »
It does not always have to be the Good GuysTM riding off into the sunset for the win to go in their column.  Merely having stood up is often enough.  The Spartan 300, the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, that guy in Tienamen Square, the Egyptian Spring before it went all wonky, the backlash against the rapes on buses in India.

The fact that they could stand up, if only for a while, makes others believe they can also stand up.  Cartels and tyrants hate when that happens.

stay safe.

A small supplement.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 08:07:40 PM »

The fact that they could stand up, if only for a while, makes others believe they can also stand up.  Cartels hate when that happens.

stay safe.

What is going to make Americans believe they can also stand up?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 12:14:55 PM »
What is going to make Americans believe they can also stand up?

The first time friends/neighbors come out of the woodwork to back up Joe Sixpack against the .gov.  Think of the neighborhood coming out with hunting rifles/shotguns to back up Cody at the beginning of the fight scenr in Streets of Fire.

Now, the bigger question is, what's it going to take to get them to do that?

stay safe.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »

stay safe.

dead is dead, no matter how noble the resistance was.  Cartel soldiers don't respect effort, nor do they step back when resisted.