Author Topic: Oh look- snow!  (Read 5686 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Oh look- snow!
« on: February 08, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »
Wind is picking up.  I'm amazed at the number of people doing errands, complaining how bad it is.  GO HOME.
One day at a time.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Oh look- snow!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:40:38 PM »
Wind is picking up.  I'm amazed at the number of people doing errands, complaining how bad it is.  GO HOME.

Welcome to two days ago. Sun finally came out today.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
We got light snow and ice here in central jersey all day, about 2 inches. It stopped at about 4. The wind is picking up and the sky is rather menacing looking now. And yes people were driving like morons at 4 on my way home. I did force 2 out of my way. Noting says move like a ford emblem.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:01:26 PM »
It looks like April here already  :facepalm:

I hope we get some rain this spring  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »
we have about an inch so far.  and i was just thinking about getting out the lawn mower.   :facepalm:
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 07:14:01 PM »
We've got a foot in my home town.  We need a couple more.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 07:30:29 PM »
Supposed to be mid 50s and sunny here tomorrow.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »
OMG. It was yet ANOTHER snowpycolips in cville today.

A whole INCH of snow and slushy streets! They closed schools of course, but my mean old boss made me go to work despite the OBVIOUS DANGER!!!

:rofl:

Anyway, good luck and stay warm. From what I hear, ya'll are supposed to get a slamming.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 09:18:18 PM »
The wanted to cancel schools around here today, but most have no days left because of hurricane sandy. Most of the schools around here were closed over a week because of no power. A few even went 2 weeks.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »
I am amused. The news alerts I'm seeing are proclaiming that this will be the WORST BLIZZARD EVER in New England.

Short institutional memory, I guess. I was in Connecticut in February of 1978, when a blizzard closed the entire state for three days. I-95 and I-91 were so overcome that the plows couldn't keep up. Finally, people just abandoned their cars on the Interstates and walked off. They called in an Army Reserve Combat Engineering battalion from TEXAS, with heavy equipment, to clear out New Haven. Don't remember what they did upstate.

I seriously doubt this storm is going to be anything close to that one.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 09:45:03 PM »
You ain't listening to Jim Cantore, then.

He's been on the boob tube all day long saying it will eclipse the Blizzard of '78, specifically.

Looks like it'll be another typical Wisconsin day to me, just transplanted further east.  Hit the 4x4 HI button on the dash, and press on.   =D 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 09:52:46 PM »
I was just flipping past the news. They don't name winter storms around here we just expect them to happen this time of year.  =|

Winter Storm Nemo.  :rofl:

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 09:56:20 PM »
The National Weather Service is highly peeved about The Weather Channel's naming winter storms.

I LOL'd re: "Nemo" - it's as if they didn't commercialize the naming of storms enough, they chose two each Disney characters.

What's next, Pluto?  Goofy?  Aladdin? Cinderella?   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Lee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 10:40:25 PM »
Could turn into an Eeyoreaster.
Could be an omeN.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 10:42:49 PM »
Well, we got a couplea feet by now and it ain't slowing down yet.  =|
Avoid cliches like the plague!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 10:45:10 PM »
Break out the french toast!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 10:54:21 PM »
I'm jealous. The power issue may not be good though.
Watching Jim Cantori right now. Kinda funny. He's trying to make it as dramatic as he can...while a group of little kids keep running behind him.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 10:55:24 PM »
A few months-mods

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 12:44:42 AM »

Hope you are prepared for it. Drink something warm or warming your choice. Then try to keep the roof from coming down around you or the snow getting deep enough on the roof to block the flue.

I hate it when it gets over knee deep. That usually means I don't have the blade hooked up to the tractor.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 04:05:12 AM »
Highs expected today in the mid-50s. :-*

The Powers That Be learned a while back to keep the snow removal plan a secret - last time we had enough to actually require scraping the streets the Mayor unveiled the best plan ever - May!

No, seriously!  We had cars trapped on residential streets behind as much as 4 feet of hard-packed plowed stuff tight up against them, and after the third day of below-freezing after the snow had stopped everyone was asking how they were going to get rid of the stuff.  Mayor actually called a press conference and stated it all should melt by Memorial Day.  (No, he was not re-elected.  Even though he was a Democrat.  Thanks for asking.)

Best memory of the Storm of '78?  Neighbor across the street went into labor the day after the flakes stopped falling.  We were looking at about 4 feet in the streets, plus drifts of Biblical proportions.  Snowplows were expected to get back into the neighborhood in maybe three days.  Three-forths of a mile to the nearest plowed road and that was one snowplow blade wide.  One of the neighbors hiked about 6 miles to his construction site and came back with a front-end loader.  She was wrapped in blankets and quilts and made it to the hospital in time for the kid to be born indoors where it was warm.

Hope you all made it to the store in time to stock up on bread, milk, eggs, and toilet paper.  Why nobody thinks to get hot cocoa and mini marshmallows remains a mystery.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 07:37:20 AM »

looks like we're done.  only about 8" here.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 08:01:33 AM »
Still coming down heavy.  Close to two feet, looks like 3 foot drifts...have power....life is good.........
One day at a time.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 08:13:34 AM »
And yes people were driving like morons at 4 on my way home.

Wait wait wait I thought people "Up North" were supposed to be brillant winter drivers as opposed to us cousin humping rednecks down here. Is every carpetbagger that informed me of the mad skillz of Northern drivers (using a dismissive sniff from their upturned nose) telling a lie?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 10:55:01 AM »
Thinking of the German word Schadenfreude when I hear about blizzards and hurricanes hitting enclaves of Obama voters . . .

=D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »

Wait wait wait I thought people "Up North" were supposed to be brillant winter drivers as opposed to us cousin humping rednecks down here. Is every carpetbagger that informed me of the mad skillz of Northern drivers (using a dismissive sniff from their upturned nose) telling a lie?
Nah.

Those of us smart enough to be good bad weather drivers have just been smart enough to leave  :angel:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.