Author Topic: Any Ultimate Fighting (UFC) fans here?  (Read 3599 times)

possenti

Any Ultimate Fighting (UFC) fans here?
« on: April 06, 2005, 04:18:45 PM »
Someone with only 1 post showed up over at THR and asked the same question.  I was able to reply before I realized it was totally off-topic and got shut down, so I'll ask the same question here...

I've been a fan since the UFC events started in the early 90's, but I've slacked off the past few years.  I've caught most of the episodes on SpikeTV of  "The Ultimate Fighter" reality show (I guess you'd call it that).   This Saturday, the final contenders will face off for a contract with the UFC.  I'm putting my money on Diego Sanchez and Forrest Griffin.  I predict Sanchez will win with a submission in the first round, and Forrest with a win by unanimous decision.

Watching the commercial for the finals, it said that a bonus match will take place between UFC legend Ken Shamrock and rising UFC star Rich Franklin.  I was surprised to recognize Rich from the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu school I trained at 7 years ago.  He was one of - if not the best - grapplers there.  He said his main goal was to fight in the UFC someday.  I was shocked to see him show up on TV in the commercial Monday night.

I just watched one of his fights on DVD from UFC 50.  I'm familiar with his grappling skills, but was curious about his boxing.  From the looks of it, the kid can throw some mean leather (and knees)!  I've always liked Shamrock, but I'm rooting for Rich Frankin in this fight - for obvious reasons.

So - any other Mixed Martial Arts fans out there?  Who's your favorite fighters?

possenti

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 04:22:54 PM »
Oh yeah - on the locked THR thread, someone said that a Mixed Martial Arts fighter would "eat a boxer for a snack."  That set off a debate, so let's TRY not to start that argument here...

...Everyone knows that a boxer wouldn't make a pimple on a MMA fighter's butt Smiley

'nuff said  : Wink

nico

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 05:08:01 PM »
I watched a few of the early UFCs before they started with those pesky rules.  I haven't watched any in a long time because I don't particularly want to foot the bill for pay per view, but I've watched every episode of the Ultimate Fighter.  I agree with your assesment possenti.  I may not be home to watch the final live, but I'll definitely be recording it.  I'm also seriously considering ordering the Coture/Liddell fight the following week because of the show (so I guess it's served its purpose for the UFC).

edit: about the boxer vs. ultimate fighter dispute, it depends on the rules.  Assuming the fighters weigh about the same, I would expect a boxer to win most boxing matches (unless they're fighting someone who's primary fighting style is boxing) and with MMA rules, I'd expect the MMA fighter to win, especially if they can get the boxer on the ground.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 05:35:50 PM »
Yes. Haven't watched in years because I'm not paying the pay per view rates and my local video store quit carrying the videos.

Royce Gracie is the greatest, and a nice, humble guy to boot.

Every person who believes Hollywood's version of martial arts is real should be forced to watch a few of these.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

possenti

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 06:19:12 PM »
Royce Gracie is the greatest, and a nice, humble guy to boot.
Yes.  My daughter and I thought so, too:

...has left the building.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 07:28:47 PM »
I'm a huge fan. My favorite fighters are Quentin Jackson, Rickson Gracie, and Bas Rutten.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 05:02:42 AM »
A combination of competence, self-confidence and humility is all too lacking in what you normally see of professional athletes.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

possenti

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 04:08:38 PM »
I'm putting my money on Diego Sanchez and Forrest Griffin.  I predict Sanchez will win with a submission in the first round, and Forrest with a win by unanimous decision.
Just dropped back by to toot my own horn.  That's EXACTLY how the fights turned out.  Unfortunately, when I said I was "putting my money" on these fighters, it was only a figure of speech.  I even know someone who would be willing to bet me.  Damn!

Franklin vs. Shamrock was the surprise of the night.  I knew Franklin would win, but not that damn quick!

Anyone else watch?  If not, I'm sure SpikeTV will replay it several times.  Worth checking out.

nico

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 05:32:09 PM »
I was pretty sure Diego would win, but the light heavyweight fight was absolutely unbelievable.  The Shamrock/Franklin fight was pretty disappointing.  After hearing Joe Rogan rave about how Shamrock was better than he's ever been, I expected MUCH more.  Not to be too negative, but Shamrock didn't even look like he was in the same league as Franklin.  He looked pretty sloppy a few times, and it cost him the fight.  If he hadn't fallen when he tried to kick Franlin in the head he probably would have made it out of the first round.  

It's being re-aired right now btw.

DigMe

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 05:55:49 AM »
I used to be real into UFC but I also haven't kept up with it much in recent times.  I didn't get to see the first fight and only saw brief glimpses of the second one (which appeared to be a real brawl) but I did see the Shamrock/Franklin fight.

Shamrock definitely appears to NOT be better than he's ever been.  He's looked WAY better in the UFC fights from years ago.  He seems to have "lost a step" if you will.  It seemed like it was gonna be a real chess match after the lock/submission attempts by each guy so I was kind of surprised when it came down to Franklin just turning Shamrock into a speed-bag.  Franklin was very impressive in all aspects.  He obviously has great skills in both striking and submission holds.  He seems to be a very focused guy.

At the end there when Rogan was interviewing Shamrock it seemed like he still had cobwebs.  It apepared that he could barely keep his eyes open and he seemed a little hazy.  He really got his bell rung.

It's really interesting to look back at the first few UFCs and to see what it has become now.  Back then you were either a grappler or a striker and few people were skilled in both.  A lot of the strikers who found themselves working against grapplers were at a complete loss when it came to defending themselves against that style.  On the other hand you also occasionally had some cases where there were grapplers who hadn't had that much experience against aggressive strikers and found themselves quickly knocked out.  Todays UFC contender HAS to be a well-rounded hybrid of both or he has no chance...well for the most part.  Gracie will never be a striker but he seems to be able to handle strikers very well.  Has he been back to UFC in recent years?  I suspect not but I'd be interested in seeing how he handles the modern evolved UFC fighter.

Getting to face off against Royce Gracie would probably be like the holy grail for many a UFC fighter!

brad cook

possenti

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 08:37:59 AM »
Gracie will never be a striker but he seems to be able to handle strikers very well.  Has he been back to UFC in recent years?
No, but several years ago he came back for a couple of "superfights" with Shamrock.   He won the first and the second was a draw, IIRC.

Over the years, fighters have been figuring out the "ground game", including me.   You can still be mainly a striker today, but you'd better know how to at least counter a takedown and defend on the ground if you're going to survive.  Rich Franklin is a good example of being well-rounded like that.

I credit the Gracies for kicking the martial arts world in the ass and proving that even a master puncher and kicker could easily be defeated on the ground.  Not many people know it, but the first UFC events were organized and promoted by Rorion Gracie, Royce's brother, to showcase Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the American arena.  IMO - it's the most revolutionary system since Bruce Lee introduced his ecclectic Jeet Kune Do back in the 70's.  The closest thing we had before that was traditional Judo and Wrestling.

Oh, yeah - the Griffin vs. Bonnar fight was a real battle.  Not much strategy or game plan - just a big slugfest.  The crowds love that stuff.  Those guys must have some good chins to stand up to that kind of abuse.  I hope they both do well with their UFC contracts.

Wedge

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 10:21:20 AM »
I enjoyed the light heavyweight fight.  Even my wife was into it.  I didn't bother watching the 'main event'.

DigMe

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 12:00:52 PM »
Not many people know it, but the first UFC events were organized and promoted by Rorion Gracie, Royce's brother, to showcase Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the American arena.
It's pretty interesting to look back at those early UFC fights.  Some of those guys would be laughable in today's UFC.  I seem to remember this French guy in one of the early ones that was a savat fighter knocking out some fat guy's tooth.  I can't imagine a pure savat guy doing well in today's UFC.  I also think that Tank Abbot might have fewer vivtories in the modern UFC.  It seems like he eventually did study some technical ground-fighting but he was pretty rudimentary when he first came in, relying on knockout punches and brute force+agression alone.

I also remember another one of the older UFC fights in which Paul "the bear" Varelans got beat by that brazilian guy who simply kicked him in the thigh umpteen times.  Good stuff.  Smiley   Oh and once there was one guy who studied pure kung fu.  He was a disgrace to the art...as soon as McCarthy could say "let's get it on!" he ran straight at the other guy full speed flailing and right into the other guy's punches.  I remember thinking "What the hell kind of kung fu was that?!"  

brad cook

possenti

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 03:53:04 PM »
I seem to remember this French guy in one of the early ones that was a savat fighter knocking out some fat guy's tooth.
I don't remember the names, but the fat guy was a Sumo wrestler.  The ringside guys said the tooth flew out of the octagon and into the first row of spectators.  That was actually the very first fight of the very first UFC.  No one - in America at least -  was really sure what was going to happen in this event.  That first fight really caught a lot of peoples' attention.

Paul "the bear" Varelans got beat by that brazilian guy who simply kicked him in the thigh umpteen times.
Marco Ruas. Oh, the good ol' days.  Before the weight classes were formed.  Varlens was easily twice the size of Ruas.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 04:50:15 PM »
I don't remember the names, but the fat guy was a Sumo wrestler.  The ringside guys said the tooth flew out of the octagon and into the first row of spectators.  That was actually the very first fight of the very first UFC.  No one - in America at least -  was really sure what was going to happen in this event.  That first fight really caught a lot of peoples' attention.
I don't know if we're talking about the same guy or not, but one sumo guy that got knocked out was a 600 lb (I think) Hawaian. The guy who knocked him out was a 200 poundish karate guy buy the name of Hackney from Illinois (I remember that because my mom's maiden name is Hackney and we've got kin in Illinois, no idea if he's related or not).

I think if the sumo had ever actually caught ahold of the guy it would have ended differently.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

possenti

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 06:24:34 PM »
don't know if we're talking about the same guy or not, but one sumo guy that got knocked out was a 600 lb (I think) Hawaian. The guy who knocked him out was a 200 poundish karate guy buy the name of Hackney from Illinois
Different fight.  Keith Hackney, and the Sumo was Emmanuel-something.  Big black guy, and he was American.

IIRC, Hackney hit him with a "ridgehand" strike.  The Sumo went down on all fours, and Hackney wailed on him untill the ref stopped the fight.  I think he broke his hand and couldn't continue in the tournament.

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 06:31:12 PM »
The guy's name was Emmanuel Yarborough. Hackney did rush him with a ridgehand, followed by a very solid punch to the face, then a round kick right in the chops. I'm pretty sure you can actually see Yarborough's tooth fly out on the tape IIRC. Keith Hackney did indeed break his hand.

I'm also pretty sure that Yarborough actually beat a Japanese guy in Shooto by smothering him.

Valkman

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 09:03:38 PM »
After checking into getting tickets and seeing how much those were, I got the pay-per-view for the last fight. My friend came over and he's buying the bouts this Saturday. We watched the free ones the other night and that second fight was outstanding!

possenti

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 03:11:32 AM »
Quote from: Valkman
After checking into getting tickets and seeing how much those were, I got the pay-per-view for the last fight.
Just curious - how much are tickets?

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2005, 05:46:46 AM »
I am not a fan.  The first few were great with very limited rules but as people started to adapt to the Gracie's grappeling style and finding ways to defeat it the Gracies had the rules changed to put them at an advantage.  I wonder how long it wil take for it to become the WWF.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 10:21:55 AM »
I like pride more, especially when pride had less rules.  But I think most of all I like K-1, granted I'm a grappler myself but it is BORING to watch.  Flying thai knees are way more fun to watch.  Remy Rules!

atek3

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 01:04:50 PM »
I saw Diego.  I remain very impressed.  Think he has a bright future.

Pos, I stand in awe.  Picture taken with Royce--"we're not worthy, we're not worthy!"
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2005, 01:13:30 PM »
Yeah Diego went from inactive to pounding Kenny's head in less than a few seconds. Not only is he technically gifted, he reacts to the tempo of the fight extremely well.