Author Topic: Ruger LCR .38  (Read 3314 times)

Stetson

• friends
Ruger LCR .38
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:02:52 AM »
Does anyone see any problems with my mother (71, small frame, 5'2") buying this pistol for concealed carry and home defense?  The LGS will be getting some in that come with a Crimson Trace laser already mounted.

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Ruger LCR .38
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:31:46 AM »
i don't have one, but many people say the lighter weight pistols are harder to control.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:50:02 AM »
For carrying it's teh bahm.  For shooting it's teh payn, though not so bad as some other bantam weight boomsticks. 

Physics is tough to beat, but the LCR's lower bore axis and decent grips do a pretty good job of taming the worst of the recoil.  Reduced-recoil or lighter-projectile cartridges will help, too.  Federal makes a dandy .38 Sp 110gr HydraShok round in their Personal Defense line.  From what I hear it's about as soft as you're gonna get with a decently reliable personal defense round.

Edit to add... You might consider getting her the .357 version.  The little bit of added weight won't matter much in terms of carrying but the extra mass will help dampen recoil.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:02:27 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:57:09 AM »
Don't have one, but I saw a guy using one during my CHL test and it did have some recoil to it, but he was shoot some larger loads in it.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:13:38 AM »
The crimson trace grip can help a lot for fast aiming with the short sight radius, and is much better for pocket carry, but the standard grip, while a bit bulkier, is MUCH more recoil absorbing. If you reload or else can get some reduced power .38s for your mom to practice with, that can help a lot. Then load it up with defensive rounds when she carries it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:43:47 AM »
A neighbor lady with arthritis bought one last year and she has no trouble at all with the recoil.  The LCR is her very first handgun.

I liked it so well that I went out and got my own in .357.  (chose that over the .38 just for emergency ammo compatibility)

Certainly there is a healthy amount of "flip" that you must overcome to get on target for a second shot, but there is nothing that could remotely be considered painful or even uncomfortable.

The trigger is very very smooth and not too heavy.

Honestly, I think Ruger totally hit it out of the park with the LCR  =)  :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:47:04 AM »
My wife likes the small size and light weight, but due to arthritis she has a hard time with the DA trigger.  It's painful at best, and on really bad days she is unable to pull the trigger for the full stroke.  She's about 5' 1", and it fits her OK.  When she does try it I usually use powder puff handloads because the recoil does add up after a couple cylinders.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 11:53:19 AM »
I see the post that went up as I was posting was also arthritis related.  I know it looks as if it is a rebuttal but it's just a different experience.  For what it's worth, my wife's arthritis is farly bad, and it seems to mostly affect hands and knees.  Your mileage may vary, and if your mother doesn't have arthritis it is a moot point anyway.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:58:53 AM »
Why not get two; a LCR for carry and a 4" steel K-frame for the house?  Used ones are pretty reasonable; SOG had armed guard trade-ins on the back page of the last sale paper I got (about a month ago.)  $200 for S&W with the hammer bobbed.  $300 for model 65's with hammers.  About $120 for Rossi.

When she does try it I usually use powder puff handloads because the recoil does add up after a couple cylinders.
Try 148 grain double-ended wadcutters, loaded towards the upper-middle of their range, like 3 grains of Bullseye or 231, or 3.2 of Unique (etc.)  They punch a big hole and they penetrate like the dickens, even at low velocity.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:02:15 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 11:59:06 AM »
+1 on the .357Mag version & .38Spl loads. If those are still too much, look hard at the .22Mag LCR, too. It punches well abobe it's weight class.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 01:06:39 PM »
Why not get two; a LCR for carry and a 4" steel K-frame for the house?  Used ones are pretty reasonable; SOG had armed guard trade-ins on the back page of the last sale paper I got (about a month ago.)  $200 for S&W with the hammer bobbed.  $300 for model 65's with hammers.  About $120 for Rossi.
Try 148 grain double-ended wadcutters, loaded towards the upper-middle of their range, like 3 grains of Bullseye or 231, or 3.2 of Unique (etc.)  They punch a big hole and they penetrate like the dickens, even at low velocity.

What z-bob wrote.  If I had to get my mom a revolver, it would be one of the all-steel  SW K-frame turn-ins.  4" bbl would be OK, but 2" bbl would be ideal.  You can get grips to fit small hands.  If she had to pack it on a holster, an all-steel J-frame. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »
What z-bob wrote.  If I had to get my mom a revolver, it would be one of the all-steel  SW K-frame turn-ins.  4" bbl would be OK, but 2" bbl would be ideal.  You can get grips to fit small hands.  If she had to pack it on a holster, an all-steel J-frame. 

I've looked for anything that would fit what you guys are recommending.  The LGS is the only place in the area that has pistols anything at all.  Walmart has some large caliber rifles and some shotguns but she already has a shotgun.  Hard to CC a shotgun though.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 01:59:30 PM »
I've looked for anything that would fit what you guys are recommending.  The LGS is the only place in the area that has pistols anything at all.  Walmart has some large caliber rifles and some shotguns but she already has a shotgun.  Hard to CC a shotgun though.

Southern Ohio Guns.  Your friendly neighborhood kitchen-table FFL can order stuff for you; they don't list very much online.  I can't send you my sale paper cuz I gave it to my pastor last week (his son is looking for a pistol.)  
Here's one: http://www.southernohiogun.com/rossi-model-841-revolvers-38spl.html  I have no idea if Rossi are any good.  But it's kind of hard to screw up a midsized .38 revolver.

"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 02:25:04 PM »

A 115-125 gr JHP loaded upper-middle will punch the same entry hole, will expand far larger, and has lighter recoil.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 02:45:32 PM »
A 115-125 gr JHP loaded upper-middle will punch the same entry hole, will expand far larger, and has lighter recoil.

Brad

That's may be true (I'm not so sure about the recoil part), but will it penetrate deep enough?
"It's good, though..."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 03:06:50 PM »
Do any walmarts anywhere carry handguns?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 03:19:21 PM »
That's may be true (I'm not so sure about the recoil part), but will it penetrate deep enough?

Yeah.  The prob with wadcutters, especially loaded a little on the warm side, would be a propensity for overpenetration.  Not as bad as FMJ, but it's still more prone than a properly loaded JHP.  Something like a 125 gr HydraShok or Hornady XTP will have plenty of penetration for personal defense, but with noticeably lighter recoil than a 150 gr wadcutter.

But...

I thought we were talking about recoil for "just shooting".  When it comes to personal defense, I refuse to take recoil into consideration.  Yes, really.  Refuse.  Practice with something that's decently comfortable to shoot, sure.  But stoke the nastiest stuff you can lay hands on for defensive carry.  I don't give a rat's behind if the load makes my hand hurt for a week.  At least I'll have a better chance of being alive to gripe about it. 

Brad
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:31:50 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 03:29:32 PM »
I have the BB 150gr hardcast wadcutters in my carry piece in the winter when punching through multitudes of clothing layers may be needed.  Overpenetration is a concern definitely.  In the brassfetcher test it sailed right on through both blocks of gelatin and had little or no deformity after hitting the backstop. 

In the summer I have the 135gr speer short barrel gold dots.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 03:34:03 PM »
I have the BB 150gr hardcast wadcutters in my carry piece in the winter when punching through multitudes of clothing layers may be needed.

Hornady Critical Defense.  Designed for just what you described.

Brad
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 07:12:23 PM »
I recently snagged a .38 LCR for a good price, and took it to the range. It has the tiny slick sided boot grips you can only get 2 fingers on. I honestly didn't notice much difference between standard velocity range ammo and +P HP stuff. It's manageable, even one handed. I believe Hogue makes a Monogrip for it. Still be concealable (maybe not pocket carry friendly though) and I'd bet it would help a lot with the recoil. Doesn't CT also make a larger version of the laser grips as well? I'm still holding out for Pachmayr to make some Compacs for it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 10:15:11 PM »
And now she has decided she doesn't want this pistol at all.  She said she will try out my grandfathers Victory .32 S&W and if she likes it will ask me nicely (like I'd say no) to keep it for herself.  I bought  her an NEF shotgun in 20ga and she'd like to try it too and if she likes it will buy her one and let me keep the one I bought for her.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 11:37:08 PM »
Do any walmarts anywhere carry handguns?

Alaska.

You can't swing a dead cat in Anchorage without hitting a top-shelf microbrewery, coffee cart, or gun store.

Or guys selling each other guns and ammo in a random parking lot for that matter.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 11:41:32 PM »
And now she has decided she doesn't want this pistol at all.  She said she will try out my grandfathers Victory .32 S&W and if she likes it will ask me nicely (like I'd say no) to keep it for herself.  I bought  her an NEF shotgun in 20ga and she'd like to try it too and if she likes it will buy her one and let me keep the one I bought for her.

Find the best ammo you can and call it done. If she enjoys it she will carry it and practice with it and it is the "right pistol" for her (as long as it goes bang every time).  A handgun in a caliber that has only a statistically higher level of "effectiveness" that never leaves the drawer is useless.

If she gets into shooting she might decide to trade up on her own, maybe even to .32 Mag. ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:47:06 PM by Matthew Carberry »
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 12:06:18 AM »
Yeah.  The prob with wadcutters, especially loaded a little on the warm side, would be a propensity for overpenetration.  Not as bad as FMJ, but it's still more prone than a properly loaded JHP.  Something like a 125 gr HydraShok or Hornady XTP will have plenty of penetration for personal defense, but with noticeably lighter recoil than a 150 gr wadcutter.

But...

I thought we were talking about recoil for "just shooting".  When it comes to personal defense, I refuse to take recoil into consideration.  Yes, really.  Refuse.  Practice with something that's decently comfortable to shoot, sure.  But stoke the nastiest stuff you can lay hands on for defensive carry.  I don't give a rat's behind if the load makes my hand hurt for a week.  At least I'll have a better chance of being alive to gripe about it. 

Brad

Increased recoil in a self defense situation isn't bad because it'll make your hands hurt, it's bad because it slows your followup shots. 2 rounds of normal velocity stuff center mass is better than one +P imo.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 07:23:34 AM »
Increased recoil in a self defense situation isn't bad because it'll make your hands hurt, it's bad because it slows your followup shots. 2 rounds of normal velocity stuff center mass is better than one +P imo.

Yup.  Also, personal shtf is the wrong time to figure this out.  The best answer for a particular shooter is not always the fastest moving premium hp in that bullet weight.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton