Author Topic: Most future retirees to be worse off than their parents  (Read 5999 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Most future retirees to be worse off than their parents
« on: February 18, 2013, 04:39:42 PM »
http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2020379797_retirementdeficitxml.html

An interesting article from the Washington Post on the retirement prospects of those of us in the workforce now.  It makes me wonder how my wife and I, and our kids are going to do.  And we are probably better off than most, with her pension from the school district when she retires, about 10 years from now, and my 401(k) which is nudging $ 500,000 and hers, which is about at $ 102,000 right now. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Most future retirees to be worse off than their parents
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 05:42:10 PM »

It's going to be interesting. Especially because the next few decades will probably be economically turbulent.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 05:46:17 PM »
Probably the only reason I'm still in the national guard
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 06:19:45 PM »
Since my wife's kids never left, they're my retirement plan?   :rofl:
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 06:48:49 PM »
Looking at how things are going, three layoffs, divorce, crappy returns on 401(k), poor decisions on my part, etc., probably no retirement for me.  It is entirely my fault, my responsibility.
Of course, the likely upcoming period of extreme economic uncertainty will change that prognosis, but doubtfully for the good.  We will see when it gets here.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:52:14 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:19:13 PM »
Since my wife's kids never left, they're my retirement plan?   :rofl:

Mexican insurance for me.  I figure with 4 kids at least one should turn out well enough to take care of us in our old age.
Formerly sumpnz

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:02:20 PM »
her pension from the school district when she retires

Assuming the school district doesn't go broke and default.   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:34:03 PM »
I fear that a million bucks ain't gonna go as far as it used to, and that right soon.  No real hidden tripwires I can point to, just an awful feeling.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 08:39:57 PM »
I don't expect there to be such a thing as "retirement"  when I get older. It'll be just like a hundred years ago....you work until you can't & hope your family can care for you until you die....or just work until you die....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »
Assuming the school district doesn't go broke and default.   =|

Washington state runs the school pension system, not individual districts.  And in a national audit, Washington ranks very high on the list of states that have adequately funded their state government pension obligations.  I was pleasantly surprised to read that.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 09:33:56 PM »
I fear that a million bucks ain't gonna go as far as it used to, and that right soon.  No real hidden tripwires I can point to, just an awful feeling.

I can hardly wait for the next big markets and 401(k) dumps.  I have lost hundreds of thousands of dollars in various market corrections over the years.  The biggest sticky wicket when these occur in middle age is that you don't have very much time left working to recover from the correction.  So I am not as blase about these corrections as I was in my 30's and 40's.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:02:34 PM »
Washington state runs the school pension system, not individual districts.  And in a national audit, Washington ranks very high on the list of states that have adequately funded their state government pension obligations. 

And Illinois, well, is not.  (Pensions is a big issue right now.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
I don't expect to be able to retire in the traditional sense. I've still got at least 15 more years in the work force for SS and company pension if this job holds and I'm not optimistic about that. I was a late starter with my 401K and right now it might last 2 years of normal expenses.
I'll have my house paid off at he end of next month (woot!) leaving me with no debt and only monthly/reoccurring bills which could be pared down pretty low if I had to.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 06:08:12 AM »
Crowbar retirement.

When faced with the prospect of eviction from his long time home, a senior gets a crowbar, finds a politician, and smacks him upside the head with it. Hard.

He then gets to go to the geriatric wing of Federal prison, where he gets free medical care, bed, blanket, three squares a day, and a roof over his head. Not ideal but better than living in a cardboard box or under a bridge.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 08:06:01 AM »
Looking at how things are going, three layoffs, divorce, crappy returns on 401(k), poor decisions on my part, etc., probably no retirement for me.  It is entirely my fault, my responsibility.
Of course, the likely upcoming period of extreme economic uncertainty will change that prognosis, but doubtfully for the good.  We will see when it gets here.

I don't even need to respond. Rocketman said it for me.
Hi.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 08:38:01 AM »
What worries me is how flat my growth in my retirement investments has been for the past 10 years.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 08:51:47 AM »
Nothing needs to be said about how dismal the stock market is going to look over the next 20 years or so as the Baby Boomer generation converts their holdings into cash to live off of.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 10:59:07 AM »
I was on track to retire early, but then I had to liquidate my business in 2000 and use my retirement money to settle with creditors. I never recovered, no matter how hard I've tried. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I'd just declared bankruptcy, kept my money and stiffed the creditors.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 11:03:45 AM »
Nothing needs to be said about how dismal the stock market is going to look over the next 20 years or so as the Baby Boomer generation converts their holdings into cash to live off of.

Ew... I never thought about that.  Good point though.

Increased demand to sell (due to heavy retirement population attempting to live off investments) drives value of stocks downwards, though.  Makes perfect sense.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »
I'd read articles years back warning about the effect that baby boomers leaving the stock markets might have. Hard to know if the younger generations will take up the slack. So many have been unemployed that investing may be delayed a few years.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »
Crowbar retirement.

When faced with the prospect of eviction from his long time home, a senior gets a crowbar, finds a politician, and smacks him upside the head with it. Hard.

He then gets to go to the geriatric wing of Federal prison, where he gets free medical care, bed, blanket, three squares a day, and a roof over his head. Not ideal but better than living in a cardboard box or under a bridge.

I pretty much expect to die of lead poisoning  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 11:25:24 AM »
I don't think i will make it to retirement age.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 11:52:45 AM »
I have done all the "right" things, to include 401K as soon as available, even a well-funded defined-benefit pension at my company. 

I still don't expect to be able to retire.  The norm for humans has been work from maturity until death or disability and our last few decades has been but a short respite from that reality.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »
I don't think i will make it to retirement age.

Me neither. Im going to die of an idiot induced aneurism during a Red Curtain of Blood Moment
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 12:18:07 PM »
I just hope i have enough to at least switch to a career that isn't so stressful, that I enjoy.

Like, for example, go be a fish and game cop somewhere patrolling a lake

Or teach.

I dunno.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog