Author Topic: Cape Cod community considers taking down wind turbines after illness, noise  (Read 4335 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/26/cape-cod-community-considers-taking-down-wind-turbines-after-illness-noise/?test=latestnews

Going green has a price as well.  Two wind turbines went up in Falmouth, Mass. (Cape Cod.)  Nearby neighbors are reporting suffering headaches, dizziness and sleep deprivation and often leave their property to get away from it.  It cost $10 million to put both turbines up and it will now cost $5 million - $15 million to take down.  Because of the complaints of nearby neighbors, the town is running them only from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and is operating them at a loss.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HankB

• friend
. . . It cost $10 million to put both turbines up and it will now cost $5 million - $15 million to take down.
Spending the money was the whole point.

That money isn't literally flushed down the toilet or torched on a bonfire, the important thing to remember is that it ends up in someone's pocket. Whether that "someone" is one of the politicians who approved this, a member of their extended family, a campaign contributor, or someone who in the future may (wink, wink) need a consultant with government budget experience, someone got paid.

In Austin, TX, the power utility (at the behest of the Austin City Clowncil) invested many millions in a "biomass" plant. The electricity was always going to be considerably more expensive than from a natural gas plant, but burning sawdust was supposed to be "green" so the critics - many critics - were ignored.   :facepalm:   Well, guess what - burning wood isn't so "green" after all, and the difference in price was even more than anticipated. (Gee, who could've seen that coming?) And as a result, money spent, no power.

Here's just one of the many local stories dealing with it:  http://www.statesman.com/news/news/wood-waste-plant-meant-to-provide-austin-with-rene/nWN5N/

But someone got paid. Which, again, was the whole point.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
What Hank said, plus...

... sounds like a rich person disease/problem.

People near other magneto-turbine generating stations don't get their feng shui all un-chi'ed by them.  Palm Springs, Kingman, Boulder dam, whatever.  Folks are fine.  Just Cape Cod socialites.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
What Hank said, plus...

... sounds like a rich person disease/problem.

People near other magneto-turbine generating stations don't get their feng shui all un-chi'ed by them.  Palm Springs, Kingman, Boulder dam, whatever.  Folks are fine.  Just Cape Cod socialites.

Its not the 'lectricity its the noise of the giant prop (and possibly its gearbox). I can definitely see it causing a problem, even beyond simply loud noise
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Its not the 'lectricity its the noise of the giant prop (and possibly its gearbox). I can definitely see it causing a problem, even beyond simply loud noise

They are very noisy.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
There is a 65 MW wind farm about 40 miles west of where I live. I've ridden through there many times on my bike, and stopped a few times. the noise of the wind blowing is louder than anything coming from the turbines.

The fact that they are a scam not withstanding, this is NIMBY at it it's finest.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Boomhauer

• friends
They are very noisy.

I suspected so. Knowing how aircraft props are very noisy and can create se strange as hell effects depending on blade shape, RPM, amd so forth I could only imagine what a giant one could sound/feel like

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
There is a 65 MW wind farm about 40 miles west of where I live. I've ridden through there many times on my bike, and stopped a few times. the noise of the wind blowing is louder than anything coming from the turbines.

The fact that they are a scam not withstanding, this is NIMBY at it it's finest.

Go stand right by one. It is a rythmic whosh, pause, whosh, pause, etc.

Uranus is a gas giant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends

There's a decent sized windmill farm in Kingman, AZ.  I teach Appleseeds there a couple times a year.  Windmills within sight of the range.

I can't hear 'em at all.

Palm Springs folks ain't exactly known for being low brow trailer trash, and they have a giant wind mill farm on the edge of town.  No sound problems there, either.

These windmills aren't in anyone's backyard.  They are located on the same physical site as a former waste water management station.  Normally not a lot of residential proximity to one of those.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

grampster

• friend
Hey, hey!!  It's green man.  Shut up, racists.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Cape Cod community considers taking down wind turbines after illness, noise
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 03:41:47 PM »
to think, 10-15 million to take them down.  anyone interested in renting a couple of cranes?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 03:55:43 PM »
to think, 10-15 million to take them down.  anyone interested in renting a couple of cranes?

Cranes?  We don't need no stinking cranes.  Detcord or C4 around the base legs on a windy day and let them bring themselves down.

Hey, hey!!  It's green man.  Shut up, racists.

You jest, but I see a lot of that level of "reasoning" on the local alt-news rag. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 04:11:13 PM »
The discount turbine could be of some use to a well-heeled prepper... OTOH, I think such a thing standing up that high would be a bit of an OPSEC/PERSEC failure.

The horizontal "egg beater" style of turbines that sit closer to the ground are probably much better, and provide less visual indication to the hordes "there be power". (food, water, supplies... etc.)
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »
Cranes?  We don't need no stinking cranes.  Detcord or C4 around the base legs on a windy day and let them bring themselves down.

You jest, but I see a lot of that level of "reasoning" on the local alt-news rag. 

Well, there is a water treatment plant and residential housing within 400 yards. I'd think we might need a bit more care than that.

Also, I've seen no indication as to the SIZE of these turbines. I know the ones near my parents in Illinois are MASSIVE. I could surmise it might be a little expensive to dismantle those. (But HALF the cost of construction? Doubting that.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »
There's a decent sized windmill farm in Kingman, AZ.  I teach Appleseeds there a couple times a year.  Windmills within sight of the range.

I can't hear 'em at all.

Palm Springs folks ain't exactly known for being low brow trailer trash, and they have a giant wind mill farm on the edge of town.  No sound problems there, either.

These windmills aren't in anyone's backyard.  They are located on the same physical site as a former waste water management station.  Normally not a lot of residential proximity to one of those.

You need to get fairly close to them to hear them. Also there are different models and manufacturers of windmills. The ones near where I live definitely make noise.

Uranus is a gas giant.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 04:49:17 PM »
Now that John Kerry is making up names of countries to get insulted by the USA, we can move those windmills over to his place.  Teh-reeza won't mind, as she's a big supporter of "green" - even has ketchup that color.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 04:49:55 PM »
Well, there is a water treatment plant and residential housing within 400 yards. I'd think we might need a bit more care than that.

Also, I've seen no indication as to the SIZE of these turbines. I know the ones near my parents in Illinois are MASSIVE. I could surmise it might be a little expensive to dismantle those. (But HALF the cost of construction? Doubting that.)

I'd guess that unless you're looking to explosively demolish them, or otherwise engage in some kind of destructive removal, the number of companies with the needed skills and gear is limited, and it's a bit more of a "sellers market" for those kind of services.

Looking at all the various corporatist/green scams that have been going on for the past decade or more, my days of not thinking about how to get into something similar myself are coming to a middle. Unfortunately, without any political connections, or minority status, I can't think of any ways to go about it.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 05:22:19 PM »

400yds = 1200feet.  Not sure how tall they are.

Explosives cutting the supports is likely the safest demo possible.  Dis-assembly and/or manually cutting supports includes more risk.

OK, looking into wind turbine heights brings these, biggest I could find images of:

http://www.wind-watch.org/faq-size.php
How big is a wind turbine?

Industrial wind turbines are a lot bigger than ones you might see in a schoolyard or behind someone’s house.

The widely used GE 1.5-megawatt model, for example, consists of 116-ft blades atop a 212-ft tower for a total height of 328 feet. The blades sweep a vertical airspace of just under an acre.

The 1.8-megawatt Vestas V90 from Denmark has 148-ft blades (sweeping more than 1.5 acres) on a 262-ft tower, totaling 410 feet.

Another model being seen more in the U.S. is the 2-megawatt Gamesa G87 from Spain, with 143-ft blades (just under 1.5 acres) on a 256-ft tower, totaling 399 feet.

Many existing models and new ones being introduced reach well over 400 feet high.

If they are that ^^^ big, the Splodey Option might not be practical.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 06:32:58 PM »
Just wait for a breezy day and hit the auto-destruct button: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqEccgR0q-o
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »
You know they put them up with cranes so they take them down with cranes...

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 08:52:16 PM »
I road up to a whole field of the in upstate NY. We were ridding snowmobiles. I did not hear the wosh wosh until the engine was off and my helmet was removed. I was standing directly under the blades. You could not even get closer. I don't by the noise bs.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 09:28:26 PM »
I had walked right out to one in a field. Simply made a quite woosh woosh sound. Kind of pleasant actually from what I remember.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 09:42:07 PM »

I've driven past those ones more times than I can count,  even pulled over to get a few pics when they were still a novelty to me.  Couldn't hear em'.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 09:47:20 PM »
I'd guess that unless you're looking to explosively demolish them, or otherwise engage in some kind of destructive removal, the number of companies with the needed skills and gear is limited, and it's a bit more of a "sellers market" for those kind of services.

Looking at all the various corporatist/green scams that have been going on for the past decade or more, my days of not thinking about how to get into something similar myself are coming to a middle. Unfortunately, without any political connections, or minority status, I can't think of any ways to go about it.

You're married, put the company in her name.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.