Author Topic: Bit on the ass!  (Read 5967 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Bit on the ass!
« on: April 06, 2005, 05:35:45 PM »
Yes, I said it.  I got attacked today by a large (100lbs, easy) lab mix today while road cycling.  I had just pulled out of a park where I was using the facilities.  Turned left, which was also uphill, and the dog was in a backyard, outside the fenced portion, in a small wooded area with the kids that lived there.  It didn't hesitate and attacked me straight away.  I was going maybe 5mph, and couldn't believe it was happening.  I planted my foot (last thing I wanted was to try and outsprint it, uphill, and get drug down like a deer) while yelling "bad dog, no!", and was just about to swing my leg over to get the bike between me and it.  It bit me on the right buttcheek.  Didn't seem too bad at the time, and I got the dog to back off.  I walked up to the front of the house and realized it was a serious puncture.  Paramedics came and field dressed it.  Animal control came and took my statement.  My understanding is they are quarantining the dog, maybe putting it down (second offence) Wife came and took me to the ER.  Phys Assist was hot, and a cyclist.  She's going to the TDF to spectate in the Alps this year....
No stitches, as its a puncture wound.  Numbed it, debrided it and I've got a big bruise there.  Primary would is about 1/2" long and 1/8" deep.  Didn't hurt as bad as my clavicle break a few years ago, though.
Self medicating now with Hefeweizen....and leaning to the left a little bit Tongue

I doubt that I could have gotten a piece out and deployed in that short bit of time.  do wish I had pepper spray, and am going to get some, as I could have used it after the initial bite.  (dog came back after I got the bike in front of me).  At that point, I probably could have shot it, but I had cover and pepper spray would have worked fine.  
What amazed me was
A) the speed of the dog
B) the speed of the attack
I've been chased numerous occasions, but have been able to either outsprint or scare most dogs.  A few have just wanted to run next to me.  Usually you can see intent in thier eyes.  This dog wanted a piece of me, and I could see it.
Never underestimate a dog.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Kingcreek

• friend
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 06:30:51 PM »
I once beat a dog in the head (repeatedly) with a good quality tire pump while bike touring. Luckily I had some speed and level ground so I could keep moving. It was the only thing I had available and was effective at stopping the attack but useless for pressurizing a tire after that. So bent up that I couldn't even clip it back onto the frame.
I have put the cycle between me and a dog but if he outmaneuvers you, your options can quickly become limited. I now carry Fox Labs OC spray.

Glad you didn't have to turn the other cheek!
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Jamisjockey

• friend
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 06:31:09 PM »

I didn't realize how big the bite was until I saw the photo.  That mutt had a big mouth!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wasrjoe

Bit on the ass!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 08:34:20 PM »
Dude, I could have gone my entire life without seeing that photo.
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Bit on the ass!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 09:38:06 PM »
Awfully pale for a cyclist :p

Preacherman

Bit on the ass!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 01:44:42 AM »
Guess you'll be the butt of all the jokes for awhile... Cheesy
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

SkunkApe

• friend
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 02:10:13 AM »
Aaaaaahhhh!  I'm blind!

grampster

• friend
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 04:22:21 AM »
Judge Judy sees that picture, she slides her lunch and awards the dog.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamisjockey

• friend
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 04:50:36 AM »
Quote from: c_yeager
Awfully pale for a cyclist :p
Thats where my shorts go silly....not to mention, its been a long cold winter.
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 04:56:52 AM »
Quote from: GRD
Dude, I could have gone my entire life without seeing that photo.
I'll second that one.  I spent a moment trying to figure out what body part it was...then I figured it out.

- Gabe
I thought the caption said it all...."Bit on the ass"
JD

bobs1066

Bit on the ass!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 03:27:55 PM »
Anybody know who has a Velo Dog Revolver for sale?

P95Carry

Bit on the ass!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 04:26:02 PM »
The aftermath of a canine - canine!!!  Ouch.!

That dog had a cheek tho eh!??  Well, just the one!  Another scar to share with the ladies! Smiley
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Moondoggie

• friend
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 05:37:52 PM »
One of the atty's here can chime in, but IIRC from my biz law classes 25 yrs ago, in most states once an animal has attacked/bitten a person it is considered a "wild" animal and the owners are subject to a concept called "absolute liability".  In other words, the owners have zero defense against liability claims such as the one you now have.   Their homeowner's insurance company is going to want to write you a nice check.  (My ex got $25K in '92 when a dog lunged out a car window in a parking lot and bit our 8 yr old daughter on the cheek & shoulder.)

Especially since your career as an underwear model is obviously over!
Known from coast to coast, almost!

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 06:20:51 PM »
That was a bit rough on the eyes.

My family has always enjoyed owning Mastiffs. The one we had before this one was a neopolitan, like our first, but I believe had some kind of chemical imbalance. Very sweet usually, but then could just go off with disprportional force, very unlike the breed. The first time, I was sitting still playing cards and he was sitting near me, and then he took off half my upper lip. Luckly my dad knew an amazing plasitc surgeon. Several months later, I was hugging him, and he went for my throat with force. Nothing quite like a 215# mastiff with 1" teeth going for the jugular. Anyway, house stiches took care of most of the damage.

I encouraged dad to put him down, but dad said he liked knowing my stepmom was 'extra safe' when he was away. Then the dog tore into his hand, requiring two excellent reconstructive surgeons to reattach tendons, etc.

Still love the breed, that one had a problem. Anyway, point was, dog bites do most definitely suck.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 06:23:07 PM »
I am indeed curious...

Just what did the owner of the dog say to you or the police when they were confronted with the situation?

My wife got chomped on by a pit bull, she got $15K from the owner's insurance, and is still leery of pit bulls to this day...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

HForrest

Bit on the ass!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2005, 07:26:13 PM »
Start carrying a good knife. Pepper Spray wouldn't hurt either.

Jamisjockey

• friend
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2005, 08:13:48 PM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
I am indeed curious...

Just what did the owner of the dog say to you or the police when they were confronted with the situation?

My wife got chomped on by a pit bull, she got $15K from the owner's insurance, and is still leery of pit bulls to this day...
They were very apologetic.  They also didn't hesitate in turning the dog over to animal control.  Incidentially, the dog is to be euthanized, I found that out about lunchtime today.

I'm not much of a sue-er, but if the homeowner's offers  me money I wont turn it down.  I did demand my out of pocket expenses in a certified letter, which was only $65.
JD

HForrest

Bit on the ass!
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2005, 08:54:18 PM »
"Anybody know who has a Velo Dog Revolver for sale?"
Yeah, I think that's exactly what you need. From American Handgunner:

" The name Velo Dog comes from "velocipede," meaning bicycle, and "dog," meaning dog, and the upshot was that you used a centerfire cartridge launching a 45 gr. bullet at 750 fps to shoot dogs that chased you while you were riding your bicycle."

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2005, 12:55:05 AM »
See, thats what ya get for riding one them thar Bicicles and not a proper ridethat would get you away from nasty doggie in a hurry.

Bummer that the owners of the offending canine did/could not take the time/effort to instruct the beast in proper manners around humans.  Now the dog gets to get put down, for dowing what comes natural to the species.

I do hope you heal up without complications and scaring though.  Not your fault the dog did/could not understand the rules of our culture.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Wingshooter

Bit on the ass!
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2005, 05:56:26 AM »
Man that sucks.  I quit riding my bike to work for that exact reason.  There are a few loose dogs along my route that don't want to chase me, they want to pull me off my bike and use me as a chew toy.  You can see it in their eyes and demeanor.  Crappy thing is that they roam freely enough that I can't effectively alter my route to avoid them.

I did buy some more pepper spray to specifically attach to my bike.  I know it'll only slow them down, but that's all I need.  Amazing how easy it is to get that second wind when those dogs are chasing you lol.  I'll probably start riding again in the next few weeks.  The Hotter Than Hell isn't that far off and I've got some training to do.

Sindawe, you're right.  I hate the fact that people get a dog and don't take the time to train it or keep it properly housed.  They are the ones that let these things happen.  I have 3 labs and while they may bark their head off if someone comes to the back fence, they won't do anything more than that (they just want to play).  When we're out front sitting on the porch they sit with us and won't leave the porch unless I allow them to.  Doesn't matter what walks by, even the mailman Smiley .  Socialization and training make a huge difference.  Sad that so few take the time for either.
Pedro offers you his protection...

Antibubba

• friend
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2005, 06:14:37 AM »
You know, someone could make a lot of money by making those bike shorts with that puncture-resistant Spectra...

Well, you'll have a really cool scar-but sadly, you won't be able to show it to the ladies at the bar cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Jamisjockey

• friend
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2005, 06:24:30 AM »
Quote from: Antibubba
You know, someone could make a lot of money by making those bike shorts with that puncture-resistant Spectra...

Well, you'll have a really cool scar-but sadly, you won't be able to show it to the ladies at the bar cheesy
Chain mail and lycra blend?
JD

crt360

• friend
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2005, 12:41:10 PM »
Jamis, I can't stand being chased by dogs when I ride.  Sorry to see one got ya.  I get so much adrenaline and hate when a big mean dog chases me that if I ever get caught and not chewed apart I will do things to the dog that will make smoke come out of PETA's ears.

Big mean dogs seem to be a popular status thing among the low income, low education locals (regardless of race or lifestyle) and many of them are poorly restrained.  My grandma's old house is in a neighborhood that has gone down hill quite a bit.  As a kid I'd walk down the streets - the scariest dog I might encounter was some scrawny mutt that was overly curious and playful.  Now, I don't even like getting out of my car over there - her little block alone has more 100-175 lb. mastiffs, great danes, rottweilers, and mixes than anyone would care to see and most of the owners are poor hispanics and WT that I would be thoroughly shocked to find have insurance.

C-W, I have been trying to figure out how to comfortable carry a fixed blade hunting knife while riding.

Wingshooter (and others), what's the best way to attach pepper spray to a bike?  I have some spray, but I rarely carry it because I can't figure out how to secure it where it won't spray me when I crash and still be quickly accessible for use on offending canines.  Ideally, I'd have a large tank mounted in a bottle cage connected to two nozzles, facing rear left and right, under the seat and control it from bar mounted buttons.
For entertainment purposes only.

bountyhunter

Bit on the ass!
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2005, 12:52:33 PM »
"Dude, I could have gone my entire life without seeing that photo."

I know what you mean.  I glanced at the photo anmd couldn't immediately determine what part of the body it was....

The something in my brain screamed:

YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!

Happy Bob

• friend
Bit on the ass!
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2005, 11:18:04 PM »
Oh, great: now we're ALL going to have to post pictures of our butts. Oh, the Humanity!!! I expect that it'll be spiff who starts the thread...

Glad it wasn't worse and that you're basically fine, 'Jockey.
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)