Author Topic: Marlin Appleseed LTR  (Read 7420 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Marlin Appleseed LTR
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:54:14 AM »
http://appleseedinfo.org/ltr-marlin.html

Some of the Appleseed guys went to the NRA show and tried pitching a 10/22 Appleseed semi-custom rifle to TALO.  They wanted to have 1 rifle available on the market that already came with everything you need for the Appleseed curriculum.  That would include 2 magazines (to learn rifleman's nest and efficient mag changes), a proper sling capable being used in hasty and loop configurations, and quality aperture sights.  TALO wouldn't bite, but out of the blue, Marlin did.

Good to see perseverance pay off.

I've always liked the 795 better than the 10/22 anyways.

This Marlin 795 comes with a GI style nylon sling and 1" swivels, TS200 TechSights, and 2 mags.

Despite its cutesy name, Appleseed isn't a Fudd outfit.  Appleseed tends to draw the entry level EBR consumer wanting to learn marksmanship.  Marlin produces rifles that tend to cater to the non-EBR crowd.

I'm happy to see Marlin, a component of Cerberus, edge closer into bed with the EBR/2A/Liberty crowd with this offering.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Marlin Appleseed LTR
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:01:53 AM »
Is it comparable in price to a normal 795, or did they add a premium for being "Appleseed" branded?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:07:51 AM »
MSRP and street price aren't established yet.  It's a Davidsons distributed product.

I'm hearing $200 or so is the anticipated cost.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 11:09:33 AM »
Impressive.....this might displace the 10-22 as my recommended beginners starting rifle.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »
$200-ish would be a pretty good price.  A base 795 is ~$160 + sling +extra magazine + $69 retail tech sights (not to mention shipping) makes it sound pretty compelling at that price.

MSRP is $299 at Davidson's which feels slightly high but not obscene.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »
This is exactly what my next firearm purchase was going to be, a .22 to round out my kit and it had to be something I could use for Appleseed!

Some years back I did a two day Appleseed class. Would love to do it again.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 11:24:28 AM »
Pretty nice. I have two rifles in this config that were just 795 Marlins I bought and added sights to.

There are only two things I would change, and it doesn't look like either has been altered. Tech-Sights adjustment is done with a screw instead of a knob you can grab, and the magazine release of a 795 is a spring that makes mags not drop free.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 12:19:01 PM »
Interesting. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 12:38:11 PM »
I was going to build an LTR for each kid after they outgrew the chipmunk.  I was going to go with teh Ruger 10/22, but if the 795 is reliable, I would buy this instead and save Daddy some light 'smithing work.

If it is reliable, "Attaboy, Marlin!"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
The 795 is reliable and accurate out of the box. The only thing you might want to do is clean it first. Marlin can be sometimes a little sloppy with that.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 01:36:47 PM »
A cheap .22 with good sights? I may buy 3. Think it takes the mags to my marlin bolt gun too. Yummy.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »

You know, they used to make a cut-down, lightweight, semi-skeletonized, take-down version of the 795.

It was called the Papoose.  (Well, not really the same rifle, but they take the same magazine.)  I have one in the truck.  I was going to buy another one, and then I discovered they'd quit making the darned things.

Let me know if you see a take-down version of this or another other variation of the 795.

I need another lightweight take-down rifle.  And, no, the AR-7 isn't a candidate.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 03:30:43 PM »
I'd consider the Papoose a 795, just as much as the new 10/22TD is a 10/22.

Same bolt, same receiver, same magazine.  Yeah, the barrel connection method is a little different and the stock is either missing a portion of its fore-end or cut in half... but definitely a cousin product.
--Lysander Spooner

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 04:40:33 PM »
A cheap .22 with good sights? I may buy 3. Think it takes the mags to my marlin bolt gun too. Yummy.

This.  I have yet to own a .22 that calls for a scope.  When I buy an  Anschutz or one of the better CZ bolties, I might spend $$$ on good glass.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 04:53:24 PM »

I have yet to own a .22 that calls for a scope. 

Can I borrow your eyes?

I have a couple of .22 rifles with which I'm just fine out to 30 yards.  At 50 yards there's a lot of squinting going on.

My 39A has a cheap crap scope that was on the rifle when I bought it.  I've never adjusted it, and I can do clays at 100 yards.

Absent a scope, there's no way I'm hitting a clay with anything at 100 yards.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »
Can I borrow your eyes?

I have a couple of .22 rifles with which I'm just fine out to 30 yards.  At 50 yards there's a lot of squinting going on.

My 39A has a cheap crap scope that was on the rifle when I bought it.  I've never adjusted it, and I can do clays at 100 yards.

Absent a scope, there's no way I'm hitting a clay with anything at 100 yards.

My eyes are awful: nearsighted, astigmatism.  With glasses, though, I can get to 20/20.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 06:46:09 PM »
Yeah.... If it comes in at $250 or less, I'll probably be getting at least a couple of 'em...  :D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 10:41:08 AM »
I've got two 795s.

One set-up with the Techsights, and one with a scope.

Dig 'em.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 12:37:40 PM »
My eyes are awful: nearsighted, astigmatism.  With glasses, though, I can get to 20/20.

I can see the sights, or I can see the target  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 06:09:57 PM »

I can see the sights, or I can see the target  ;/

Roger that.

Out past 50 yards, that would also be me.  From 30 to about 50 I'm okay, but as the distance grows so does the pixel smearing of the target (or the sight).

At Tueller distances I can do decent pistol work, but 30 yards is a real stretch for me with the pistol (yes, I will still hit the target, though there are no guarantees regarding that fuzzy bit in the middle).  From thirty yards and out, I'm in carbine territory, simply for the saving grace of the long sight radius.

There was a time, many many years back, when 100 yards with irons was no big deal, and I qualified "expert" with those eyes.

I didn't take up shooting again until I was over 50 years old, and found that I'd left my eyes in another life.

All of that said, I will still make carbine hits on a 5-gallon bucket at 100 yards with iron sights.  Maybe half a magazine.

So, if I were to engage a hostile at 100, I could probably keep him honest, because as blind as I am, accidents will happen.

=D

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 11:02:40 PM »
I put  Weaver 1-3X20 on my Henry Lever .22. On 1 or 2 I can shoot it both eyes open and hit a moving(not real fast though) rabbit out to 50 yds almost every time.

I'll keep my eyes open for the new Marlin, I like the concept.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 02:02:44 PM »
Word is official.

Promo materials out.

Page 21 of the marlin catalogue.

http://www.icloudmobilemedia.com/t/34516

Available at Gallery of Guns.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=70677

--Lysander Spooner

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Out of stock due to unprecedented demand.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »

A very good sign. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 11:33:41 PM »
Excellent.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila