Author Topic: The 1965 Voter Rights Act SCOTUS case  (Read 1317 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
The 1965 Voter Rights Act SCOTUS case
« on: March 01, 2013, 12:18:39 AM »
This has the potential for making Leftist heads explode as much, if not more than the Citizens United case.  =D

What's at stake is predominantly "Section 5" of the 1965 VRA which requires Federal "Preclearance" for the states to make certain changes to their voting laws, or district changes. This goes back to all the Jim Crow voter suppression that was going on in certain southern states back then. And the re-authorization of the Act is political plutonium, because who on either side of the aisle would want to go down as against "voters rights"?  =|

If Section 5 and Preclearance is overturned as unconstitutional, the states will have a freer hand in enacting laws or election rules that help combat vote fraud, or eliminate gerrymandered racial districts.

I promise not to duck.

De Selby

• friend
Re: The 1965 Voter Rights Act SCOTUS case
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 05:55:18 AM »
Read some articles on the issue of "article 5" before you go any further
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:34:28 AM »
If it is a requirement for Shelby County, AL, why shouldn't it be required of Westchester County, NY?  How long shall this be required?  <expletive deleted> this <expletive deleted>! 
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »
Read some articles on the issue of "article 5" before you go any further

Your reaction, hell, just your presence in the thread is very illustrative as to how I should feel about the SCOTUS case.  =)
I promise not to duck.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:44:55 AM »
Your reaction, hell, just your presence in the thread is very illustrative as to how I should feel about the SCOTUS case.  =)

How is that?  I'm strongly supportive of constituional amendment based congressional action in this arena
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:52:52 AM by De Selby »
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 06:51:20 PM »
On the one hand I dislike voter fraud, on the other I vehemently dislike having to show government paper for exercise a right.
Look, tiny text!