Author Topic: fighting poverty in Pakistan  (Read 1157 times)

agricola

• friend
fighting poverty in Pakistan
« on: March 05, 2013, 01:59:59 AM »
Saw this article in the Telegraph and thought some here might find it interesting, as well as being some considerably better news than usually comes from that part of the world:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/9897739/Escaping-Pakistans-poverty-trap.html

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: fighting poverty in Pakistan
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »
Um, given their sentiment towards the US, I'm not terribly concerned about their poverty level.

That being said, I'm glad that the mechanism described in the article doesn't involve much in the way of external investment and is instead largely focused on internal self-improvement.

What's the scoop with the sunni/*expletive deleted*it/ismaeli questions?

I dated a girl that was ismaeli for several years.  She was "jack ismaeli" and hadn't been to mosque in years and years, but from what I gather the ismaelis are pretty detached from the sunni/shia rift and all the jihad/terrorism fun going on.  I wonder what the response is if reporting adherence to ismaeli doctrine.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:06:35 AM »
What's the scoop with the sunni/*expletive deleted*/ismaeli questions?

I dated a girl that was ismaeli for several years.  She was "jack ismaeli" and hadn't been to mosque in years and years, but from what I gather the ismaelis are pretty detached from the sunni/shia rift and all the jihad/terrorism fun going on.  I wonder what the response is if reporting adherence to ismaeli doctrine.

Ismaeli don't blow stuff up without a good reason.
Shiites only blow stuff up on their turf, which does not always follow political lines on maps.
Sunni will travel to blow stuff up.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:56:04 PM »
Ismaeli don't blow stuff up without a good reason.
Shiites only blow stuff up on their turf, which does not always follow political lines on maps.
Sunni will travel to blow stuff up.

I was going to mention the nephew of Mohammed & such, but that seems to nail it for practical purposes.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton