Author Topic: Army finds new ways to get around sequester.  (Read 6400 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Army finds new ways to get around sequester.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 03:27:53 PM »
I like the department that did the study
. Pentagon Office of Budgetary Analytical Logistics and Life Studies (BALLS)

ETA:  This is a military version of the Onions, correct.

ETA2:  Yes it is.  Is it sad that I could see this happening.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »
So junior enlisted will have to pay $10 a day, just to report for duty?  :facepalm:

What next - charge the guys over in Iraq for the bullets they use?

Are they trying to provoke a mutiny or something?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »
So junior enlisted will have to pay $10 a day, just to report for duty?  :facepalm:

Are they trying to provoke a mutiny or something?

Dude, it's satire.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 03:38:59 PM »

lulz
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 05:42:15 PM »

Thanks for giving them the idea. >:D

The sword won't seem so funny now.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 05:42:59 PM »
However, the Army probably could make a few bucks with a "Shoot a 'Terrrist" safaris.  Luxury Connex box accommodation at the FOB of your choice. Your own personal Scout-Sniper spotter/guide.

Pretty much just a land-bound version of our "Piracy Cruise" ideas.

Mounting and stuffing extra. (The taxidermy kind, not the Middle Eastern "Thursday Night" kind. Although, from what I hear, if you've got blond hair and blue eyes, and are clean shaven, you might be able to defray the costs of your trip this way...)
I promise not to duck.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 06:41:29 PM »
Put all crew served weapons on a remotely operated turret like the CROW. 
Connect to the Internet. 
Charge money to play. 
Profit.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 07:17:59 PM »
I like the department that did the study

ETA:  This is a military version of the Onions, correct.

ETA2:  Yes it is.  Is it sad that I could see this happening.

With the crap that comes out of DC and the insanity reported by the news it's getting harder to tell satire from reality.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »
With the crap that comes out of DC and the insanity reported by the news it's getting harder to tell satire from reality.

Life these days seems like a badly written movie that you can't pause or eject  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 07:50:57 PM »

Irony and satire become really hard when they're just as credible as real life.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 07:52:05 PM »

I'm afraid to write satire for fear it will be taken as a suggestion  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 07:54:07 PM »

I'm afraid to write satire for fear it will be taken as a suggestion  :facepalm:

Seen on back of truck:  "1984 was supposed to be a cautionary tale, not an operations manual."
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 08:30:58 PM »
At one point today the DuffleBlog had the "US Army Commissions First Westboro Baptist Church Chaplin" story.  I can't find it now.  The comments were priceless (especially from those that don't know the DuffleBlog is basically The Onion for the military.)

The newest one I can find is the Nidal Hasan Promoted to LTC and given Legion of Merit Medal.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »
Seen on back of truck:  "1984 was supposed to be a cautionary tale, not an operations manual."

I want the T-shirt.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 08:54:33 AM »

http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/11/hardest-working-sailor-determined-by-shiniest-boots-immaculate-uniform/

Unless the Navy is completely unlike the Army, I have a hard time believing that's satire. My own brother is up for one of those type of boards. Same thing. Shiny boots, pressed uniform and other activities that DIRECTLY REDUCE combat efficiency at considered significantly more important.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 06:30:58 PM »
http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/11/study-random-pointless-formations-tied-to-increase-in-combat-performance-morale/

You gotta take it out on someone.

If the Taliban ever gets wind of that story they will be running off to the World Court, crying crimes, crimes against humanity, and violations of both the Hauge and Geneva Conventions.  Can't say as I'd disagree with them.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »
I am surprised the army, and the other services, just don't bring back KP.  Save alot of money there.  Didn't hurt me none......chris3

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »
http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/03/u-s-military-begins-annual-exercise-enduring-freedom/

Colonel Page responded, “There is no particular objective associated with Enduring Freedom. We originally tried developing this elaborate backstory involving a massive terrorist attack on the United States, but too many commanders were questioning how that tied in with passing out money to illiterate farmers.”

Read more: http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/03/u-s-military-begins-annual-exercise-enduring-freedom/#ixzz2NN7BcDNa
Follow us: @theduffelblog on Twitter | duffelblog on Facebook

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 07:39:23 PM »
I am surprised the army, and the other services, just don't bring back KP.  Save alot of money there.  Didn't hurt me none......chris3

Yeah. I don't know when KP in basic training stopped, but it seems these days there are more civilian cooks than army.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 01:19:26 AM »

Join the navy, see the world as you are taking out the galley trash to the pier dumpster. I was a mess crank my first 3 months on a ship, and 13 years later in my last 3 months on a ship. Now that time I had 20 cranks working for me. Which was real easy when they included an irritable Marine Cpl or two. Sic, go drink coffee and watch Fox news in my mess, repeat.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 08:51:51 AM »
You had me till I saw the acronym "BALLS"  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 10:21:10 PM »
http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/11/hardest-working-sailor-determined-by-shiniest-boots-immaculate-uniform/

Unless the Navy is completely unlike the Army, I have a hard time believing that's satire. My own brother is up for one of those type of boards. Same thing. Shiny boots, pressed uniform and other activities that DIRECTLY REDUCE combat efficiency at considered significantly more important.

That is pretty well corroborated by my Navy experience. So long as the uniform, haircut and shave were squared away, being an absolute worthless tit was acceptable.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams