Author Topic: Before, during, and after portraits of Brit soldiers  (Read 1094 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Before, during, and after portraits of Brit soldiers
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »
I'd like to know how shortly after returning from deployment the 3rd pictures were taken.  Some of them appear to be taken during that phase when one transitions from active war to figuring out peace and home, but still vigilant/hypervigilant.  Others appear to be after that transition when the emotional stuff has been (or begun) to be sorted out after holding it in check during deployment.

Regardles, it is a telling visualization of the transition from peacetime citizen/soldier to combat veteran.  Unfortunately, I wonder just how much effort was put into getting shots of "the thousand-yard stare" as opposed to any other facial expression.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:32:22 PM »
I'd like to know how shortly after returning from deployment the 3rd pictures were taken.  Some of them appear to be taken during that phase when one transitions from active war to figuring out peace and home, but still vigilant/hypervigilant.  Others appear to be after that transition when the emotional stuff has been (or begun) to be sorted out after holding it in check during deployment.

Regardles, it is a telling visualization of the transition from peacetime citizen/soldier to combat veteran.  Unfortunately, I wonder just how much effort was put into getting shots of "the thousand-yard stare" as opposed to any other facial expression.

stay safe.

Maybe I'm bad at faces, but more than half of them didn't even seem that different to me, especially between the beginning and the end. The kind of Rorschach test where it says more about you than it does the pictures. About 3/4'ths of the middle pictures definitely look "flinty eyed" while in-country, but the beginning and end, not so much.

And how much would weight loss from the exercise of being deployed - patrolling etc., stress, or how they ate affect their faces rather than their actual emotional makeup? And the photoshopped blackout around their heads is problematic. From the pupil size, I can tell for sure the light conditions for the three pictures were not the same at all. Dilated pupils will generally make a person look more "invested" and "open", narrow ones make you look more "distant". Hell, just the lighting alone would do it to the rest of their face. Single source light with little fill would make anybody look more severe and gaunt.

Presumably these guys were all combat-arms, "outside the wire"-types, but the article is not explicit in confirming it either.

Actually, reading through the comments, I'm not alone in these questions.
I promise not to duck.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:38:10 PM »
Here's mine...

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »
I promise not to duck.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 05:47:06 PM »
I'm kinda interested to see what a legit comparo would be, for me. Lemme see if i can find a pic shortly after my deployment, and a close one during.

Back in a few...
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 05:53:28 PM »

One things for sure... I'm a sexy dude.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 06:13:48 PM »
^^^ In that first picture on the left, that is not how the Shocker goes.  Just sayin'.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 06:39:51 PM »
This is a much narrower window post-deployment but everyone looks pretty fried after a few weeks packing up, a couple days in transit, and 24 hours straight or so on a plane.  I'm sure I looked pretty fried when I stepped off the plane at 04:00 last time.  And believe me, it was not because I had a hard deployment.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 07:57:32 PM »
The eyes, in the third pictures most of the pupils are larger. I wonder what that does to the overall look.

bob

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 07:57:55 PM »

One things for sure... I'm a sexy dude.

If you, uhh, say so.  Larry Correia with hair.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
If you, uhh, say so.  Larry Correia with hair.

I'll take that as a compliment
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 09:32:45 PM »
I'll take that as a compliment

I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in your pics.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G