Author Topic: Francis I  (Read 4522 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Francis I
« on: March 13, 2013, 04:58:27 PM »
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/03/13/new-pope-chosen-on-5th-ballot-as-white-smoke-rises-from-sistine-chapel/

The 76-year-old – now known as Pope Francis I — was the archbishop of Buenos Aries and was appointed by Pope John Paul II.

Bergoglio became the first pope from the Americas elected and the first from outside Europe in more than a millenium.

Wow.  1200 years ago, Gregory III from Syria.

And ever since, no Turks/Syrians/Lebanese/ non-euro Mediterraneans.  And never a hispanic in over 500 years of colonization of the Americas.  John Paul II was the first non-Italian in 450+ years.

Pretty closed-off group for candidacy to be Pope.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Stetson

• friends
Re: Francis I
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 05:16:25 PM »
Actually its just Francis, no 'I' until there is another Francis.  It would be like naming a kid Bob I in hopes that he names his kid Bob II.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 05:21:24 PM »
Nobody calls him francis. Any of you call him francis, he'll kill ya.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 05:28:14 PM »
Buenos Aries? I hope Francis has a better editor at the Vatican.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 05:29:13 PM »

Viva li Pope Psycho!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 05:51:18 PM »

Lighten up Francis...
 :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 05:56:45 PM »
in his prayer he referred to him self as Francesco.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 06:51:48 PM »
First from the western hemisphere, and first from the southern.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 07:14:44 PM »
And he has a bone to pick with the Brits over the Falklands congregation, I'll bet!   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
At least he didn't rename himself Pope Juan Paul.  ;)

bob

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 08:01:31 PM »
At least he didn't rename himself Pope Juan Paul.  ;)

bob

:facepalm:

=D
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 08:33:39 PM »
And he has a bone to pick with the Brits over the Falklands congregation, I'll bet!   =D

I read today that the inhabitants of the Falklands identify with Britain.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »

No Time for Sergeants! Oops! wrong movie!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:13:38 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 09:37:42 PM »
News article I read at work said he was Italian, parents moved there when he was young.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 09:53:04 PM »
Lighten up Francis...
 :laugh:
You're really showing your stripes with that comment.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 10:03:40 PM »
I read today that the inhabitants of the Falklands identify with Britain.

Does a bear sh**  in the woods? Is the Pope Cath....ohhh,  I see your clever wordplay now.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »

He might not be all bad. Apparently Cristina Fernández de Kirchner was complaining about his "Medieval Rule in Argentina" probably over the Church's stance on gay marriage etc.

I nominally support/don't care about gay marriage, but anything that pisses her off, I'm probably for it.
I promise not to duck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 02:00:44 AM »
I just wish Sacha Cohen was brave enough to trot Borat out into the square and start asking questions. "This smoke, it is the Jew? Oh good, white, he converted at the last yes?" Probably wouldn't make it off the square alive.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 07:49:22 AM »
Haha... soooooo, what we are seeing here is a stunt to revamp popularity, specially in the continent with the largest concentration of faithfuls? Give them one of their own!

The Church's image really went to hell under Ratzinger... but yeah, the revelation of quasi-institutionalized pedophilia had nothing to do with it...
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 08:32:31 AM »
Many people fail to realize that the bible is an ongoing document
and the current chapters are pretty sucky.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 08:52:18 AM »
News article I read at work said he was Italian, parents moved there when he was young.
Saw today that while his parents were indeed Italian, he was actually born in Buenos Aires on Dec. 17, 1936.

Detractors and doomsayers will have a hard time arguing that someone born Jorge Mario Bergoglio in Argentina and taking the name Francis as pope is actually the final pope, "Peter the Roman," mentioned in the so-called Prophecy of St. Malachy.  (There was a St. Malachy, but his alleged prophecies didn't surface until centuries after his death, almost certainly making them a forgery. But some still want to believe.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »
You're really showing your stripes with that comment.  ;)

Dat's da fact, Jack!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 11:53:49 AM »
Many people fail to realize that the bible is an ongoing document and the current chapters are pretty sucky.

What are the "current chapters"?  The Bible is not a living document that changes.  The fundamentals form the basis of all Christian religions.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »
. . . The Bible is not a living document that changes.  . . .
There's more than one version - and not just due to translation errors; some have seen fit to edit the words of the Almighty to fit their own political agendas.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 01:59:28 PM »
What would (Pope) Frank do?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.