Author Topic: A part of the Colorado gun law I didn't know about  (Read 4977 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
A part of the Colorado gun law I didn't know about
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:34:13 PM »
I was talking to the owner of a Colorado gun store today, and he was complaining about the gun bills that look poised to pass.

One provision I wasn't aware of is included in the universal background check (otherwise known as banning private sales). Gun dealers are prohibited from charging more than $10 to gun buyers for the background checks. This store now charges $40, as the owner has calculated his costs for employee time, etc. The state is also going to charge gun dealers a fee for running the background checks, and it's possible the fee could exceed $10.

This dealer is talking about not doing any transfers at all, just selling guns.

What a bunch of morons they have in the state capitol.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: A part of the Colorado gun law I didn't know about
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:50:08 PM »
This dealer is talking about not doing any transfers at all, just selling guns.

What a bunch of morons they have in the state capitol.
[tinfoil]
Think this was the intended effect?

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 05:57:41 AM »
All gun laws are about long term damage to the gun culture. Over night confiscation doesn't happen, mostly.... It's a war of attrition and Colorado just found a way of killing off a certain portion of the firearms market.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 07:03:21 AM »
[tinfoil]
Think this was the intended effect?

Ya think.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 08:33:40 AM »
so that "fake" brady 10 year plan is ringing true.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 08:37:59 AM »
If they can charge a fee to exercise a constitutional right, why don't they just go ahead and impose a poll tax as well?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:18:58 AM »
If they can charge a fee to exercise a constitutional right, why don't they just go ahead and impose a poll tax as well?

Because a poll tax would adversely affect the poor, who are the constituency these politicians count on every election.

An armed, mobile and educated population is almost impossible to control. That's why they want to eliminate gun ownership, why they've replaced rational thought with politically correct BS in schools, and why they keep pushing high-speed rail and other forms of public transit.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 04:15:48 PM »
Did not know about universal background check (UBC) requirement in CO.

I suspect UBCs are nearly a done deal at the Federal level after all the dust settles.  I don't know in what form UBC have made it out of the committee and move to the Senate floor.  The 2013 AWB will probably go down to defeat.  But a bill requiring UBCs is reported to have broad support.  From whom is my question?  The Washington Post reports something like 90% favoring UBCs for nearly all firearm transfers.

The easy thing for the government to do is just require that UBCs shall be performed for nearly all firearm transfers and leave the pricing to the FFL dealers.  It is one thing to pay say $40 when you transfer a gun from a mail order source, but entirely a different matter for personal transfers/sales.  But again, using FFL dealers is the easy call.  The cost will hurt for private sales and will in my opinion "infringe".  The law is nearly un-enforceable either way if citizens choose not to use the UBC except in states that require FOID cards and other permits to purchase a firearm.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 05:07:31 PM »
Unenforceable, yes, but it will still kill private party sales completely. Even in states with no FOID-like registration, nobody will sell a gun at say a garage sale to a private buyer, for fear of government agents and sting ops, and later liability. Nobody.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 08:56:18 AM »
Doesn't some form of UBC have to be passed out of the house for it to be law? I've heard nothing on that at all and suspect there aren't enough votes for it to pass.

Especially if the NRA holds the line and gives house members some cover. If the NRA folds the House folds.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 08:54:13 PM »
Plus Harry Reid has to allow a vote on the floor of the Senate.

Ain't Happening.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 09:05:56 PM »
Unenforceable, yes, but it will still kill private party sales completely. Even in states with no FOID-like registration, nobody will sell a gun at say a garage sale to a private buyer, for fear of government agents and sting ops, and later liability. Nobody.

Yes they will. All this will do is raise the value of physical resistance to arrest.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 09:09:08 PM »
An armed, mobile and educated population is almost impossible to control. That's why they want to eliminate gun ownership,
Wait, time out... stop right there.
If were are all still pretty well armed, we know history pretty well, and we know that the 2nd amendment isn't about hunting or shooting skeet at Camp David, then why do we even consider following unconstitutional and or immoral laws set by petty tyrants?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 09:17:07 PM »
Plus Harry Reid has to allow a vote on the floor of the Senate.

Ain't Happening.

Colorado, not USSA  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 10:47:27 PM »
We have all been trained since childbirth to follow the law regardless of what the law is.  That is the American way.  But at some point, people (majority) may start resisting the law and all of a sudden the whole thing caves because the respect is lost.  I dread that day.

I believe Feinstein's AWB will not come close to passing.  Then the powers will begin chopping out portions of it in an attempt to salvage more gun control measures that may have more support like UBCs.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 10:56:03 PM »
We have all been trained since childbirth to follow the law regardless of what the law is.  That is the American way.  But at some point, people (majority) may start resisting the law and all of a sudden the whole thing caves because the respect is lost.  I dread that day.

Yes, exactly.
Some of the dems are throwing lit matches at a powder keg, its only a matter of time before all hell breaks loose.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama